Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed their scrambler having a lower redline in first and second than third and above? On my 2017 Desert Sled the fuel cutoff hits just above 8K on the tach in first and second, but closer to 9K in third and above. Also, I only get flashing red on the rev limiter, never solid red. I find this engine already has a ridiculously low rev limit, and being even lower in first & second means I hit it all the bloody time!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Has anyone else noticed their scrambler having a lower redline in first and second than third and above? On my 2017 Desert Sled the fuel cutoff hits just above 8K on the tach in first and second, but closer to 9K in third and above. Also, I only get flashing red on the rev limiter, never solid red. I find this engine already has a ridiculously low rev limit, and being even lower in first & second means I hit it all the bloody time!
Didn't you try before you buy?
Bit late now.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I found this when I first got the bike but rarely hit the limiter now. Depends how aggressive you are, I'm a bit steady as always have the wife on the back.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Maximum Torque is over before the red line - so you should have already changed up.. for maximum acceleration.

This motor is happy between 4,000 and 7,000 rpm - which should be enough for most... if not ... buy a faster bike.

V Twins do not rev like an inline 4.

My Multistrada will rev to 9,500 - but in 6th you are already doing 150...+ - in second probably 90..

My older inline 4 on a Faser 1000 Yamaha - would do about 120 in second... because it reved close to 13,000 RPM (from memory)

If you like high revs - but an inline 4 not a V twin.

My VFR1200 also had a similar rev restrictor in 1,2 as a protection from Honda from spinning out back end / limit wheelies? There was a device that you could plug into the gear change sensor that made it think it was in higher gears - to allow you to rev harder.. if you wanted to remove the restriction .. but it screwed up the dash gear display indicator..

My guess is Ducati does it to protect the engine from over revving - rather than this on the 800 scrambler... as it only has half the HP the VFR1200 had...but its a guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, this is not my first 90 degree v twin. What I am wondering though is it it is normal to have a lower redline in the first two gears than in three and above? Has anyone else noticed that?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Revs are revs. I can't see how the engine spinning at x rpm in first is any different to the engine spinning at the same x rpm in fifth as far as engine wear is concerned. There is nothing I can see in the workshop manual about graduated rev limits so I guess it would need a trained Ducati tech to confirm or deny if there is some difference in rev limits in various gears.

·
Registered
733 Posts
No - but watch the rev counter its much easier to get to max revs in first r second 2 seconds compared to 5th or 6th which can be 30 seconds... so they start the limiter earlier where the speed builds quicker..

·
Registered
764 Posts
Given that it hits maximum power at around 7,500 rpm, even 8,000 rpm is a waste of time. Revving to the rev limiter is fairly pointless and in the long term won't do the engine any good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Max engine torque and max torque to the ground are two different things . . .

I see a lot of posts suggesting max torque occurs at X so you should shift there, but that's only true if the torque to the ground in gear N+1 is greater than the current gear otherwise you will immediately accelerate slower.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Because torque to the ground is crankshaft torque devided by total clutch/transmission/chain ratio?
Max is still at the same revs...

·
Registered
53 Posts
. . . for a given gear.

Again, that's max engine torque. You agree that you go faster in 1st gear than 2nd right? Gearing provides more torque to the ground in 1st than 2nd. For any given engine torque in 1st you will accelerate faster than in 2nd.

Just do the math. Divide the torque for RPM's over max engine torque by the gear ratios to find your ideal shift points. If a lower gear is still increasing RPM with more actual torque to the ground than the next gear down it is faster regardless of where max engine RPM occurs.

I should add the discussion is often reversed. Redline isn't alway the ideal shift point either but I'll bet it's closer to redline than max torque.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Max engine torque and max torque to the ground are two different things . . .

I see a lot of posts suggesting max torque occurs at X so you should shift there, but that's only true if the torque to the ground in gear N+1 is greater than the current gear otherwise you will immediately accelerate slower.
Unless you are on a grid with Dovizioso on one side Lorenzo on the other and Rossi and Marquez behind does it matter?

·
Registered
53 Posts
It seemed like this was the case to me as well. The manual says redline is 9200 RPM so I expect to be able to ride the entire range.

I understand the dealer or Rexxer can correct it, but have yet to try either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unless you are on a grid with Dovizioso on one side Lorenzo on the other and Rossi and Marquez behind does it matter?
I find the motor pulls very strong right to the lower rev limit in first and second. Most dyno results I have seen indicate max power between 8200-8500RPM, and the bike hits the limiter in first and second in that exact range. There is no way to get to peak power and shift in the first 2 gears without hitting the limiter. The question isnt "why do you want to do that", the bike is supposed to be able to hit it's max power. The question is, why cant it do that in the first two gears?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Maybe the rev counter is just slow.... :drunken_smilie: Maybe they want you to shift in time before ruining the valve train...

Just ride the wave of torque, and stop worrying. it's a V-twin.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe the rev counter is just slow.... :drunken_smilie: Maybe they want you to shift in time before ruining the valve train...
1st gear, maybe, but 2nd and 3rd seems like you're just waving bye to your torque to me. Maybe people are missing out on 20% of usable RPM range?

Just ride the wave of torque, and stop worrying. it's a V-twin.
I ride it all the time, right into the rev limiter.

·
Registered
764 Posts
1st gear, maybe, but 2nd and 3rd seems like you're just waving bye to your torque to me. Maybe people are missing out on 20% of usable RPM range?

I ride it all the time, right into the rev limiter.
I wouldn't like to be the next owner of your bike :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts