Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody!

I am looking for a decent luggage solution for the Desert Sled. Any suggestions? I am about to take the Desert Sled on a South East Asia Tour for a few months and want to test the bike long term as a AVD ride.
Any suggestions are very welcome

T.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Your only option for side bags without fabrication is soft luggage, or any luggage that does not tie into the passenger foot pegs for stability. They are not in the same position on the DS, and the bolt holes on the foot pegs are different.

The only hard luggage option I'm aware of on the Scrambler is the Givi rack (which you can use their panniers, or many other panniers). The touratech rack is vaporware. I tried the Givi pannier rack myself for my DS, and you could make it fit by fabricating an extra bracket to connect to the passenger foot peg, but it doesn't fit out of the box. The same will be true for 100% of all pannier racks not designed specifically for the DS. I just returned mine.

Unfortunately, I think we have a long wait for anything legit (a real pannier rack) to come out for the DS since it's going to be a fairly small market. Fabrication may be the best answer.

The most space for soft luggage designed for the Scrambler is probably the Kriega Duo 36, which is 36L of total space. I use these with a 40L wolfman expedition duffel. Between the two that gives me 76L of space, plus 8 in my tank bag. I really wish the Givi rack fit so I could do the 30L aluminum side panniers, along with a 30L matching rear top case for 90L of space (not to mention more seat space). I find 76L a little tight for multi-day trips. Here is my current setup:

IMG_1063.JPG

·
Registered
292 Posts
The most space for soft luggage designed for the Scrambler is probably the Kriega Duo 36, which is 36L of total space.
That's what I came here to recommend. Kriega sells a pair of saddlebag braces that screw into the mounting points in the frame under the rear seat:
Kriega Duo Saddlebag Platform For Ducati Scrambler
Those, combined with the Kriega Duo 36 saddlebags:
Kriega Duo Saddlebags

And then Kriega also makes some *really* nice tailbag setups in their "US" series. I have their 30L one for commuting, but they make 5, 10, 20, 30, and 40L sizes. They are modular, and they are made so that the smaller ones will readily attach to the larger ones, so you can get a large one for the center and then attach smaller ones to the sides, like in this 70L kit (which is the 40L main bag with a 20L bag attached to each side):
Kriega UScombo70 Drypack System

You can buy individual bags and mix and match them for your own needs. They are *very* sturdy and absolutely waterproof when closed properly.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am trying to also figure out some possible pack options with a high perf pipe on one side. All my friends swear by Kriega but my only experience with bags have only been with hard bolted one accessories.
My previous bike to this one was a BMW which had hard luggage. The hard bags were nice, but honestly I already see the advantages of soft bags as well - they get smaller when they're not full, they wont crack or bend your bike when you whack something with them, etc. With some of the really high quality soft options out there now, I don't know that I'd go back to hard bags even if I had a choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your only option for side bags without fabrication is soft luggage, or any luggage that does not tie into the passenger foot pegs for stability. They are not in the same position on the DS, and the bolt holes on the foot pegs are different.

The only hard luggage option I'm aware of on the Scrambler is the Givi rack (which you can use their panniers, or many other panniers). The touratech rack is vaporware. I tried the Givi pannier rack myself for my DS, and you could make it fit by fabricating an extra bracket to connect to the passenger foot peg, but it doesn't fit out of the box. The same will be true for 100% of all pannier racks not designed specifically for the DS. I just returned mine.

Unfortunately, I think we have a long wait for anything legit (a real pannier rack) to come out for the DS since it's going to be a fairly small market. Fabrication may be the best answer.

The most space for soft luggage designed for the Scrambler is probably the Kriega Duo 36, which is 36L of total space. I use these with a 40L wolfman expedition duffel. Between the two that gives me 76L of space, plus 8 in my tank bag. I really wish the Givi rack fit so I could do the 30L aluminum side panniers, along with a 30L matching rear top case for 90L of space (not to mention more seat space). I find 76L a little tight for multi-day trips. Here is my current setup:

View attachment 19729
Thank you so much for your input! I am looking for a soft luggage option instead of boxes - especially anything else but GIVI. Not Givi has a couple of reasons. I just finished a 8 months Motorbike tour through South America and the GIVI Trekker Outback started to fall apart roughly half way - I mean really falling apart! The springs to hold the boxes on the rack gave way even earlier and the only way to keep the boxes attached was to strap them over the saddle. Next thing that broke was the lower plastic bracket. I had a handy mechanic in Cusco who custom made a new attachment for me that holds now. When I wrote an email to Givi to ask where I can get spare parts in South America I got a snoopy reply that they usually don't deal with inquiries from the general public! GIVI = bad quality and absolut shit after sales service.
I had a look at the Kriega option as well and so far that one and the Touratech/Ortlieb bags seem to be the best option. I was just wondering if there are any other options.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thank you so much for your input! I am looking for a soft luggage option instead of boxes - especially anything else but GIVI. Not Givi has a couple of reasons. I just finished a 8 months Motorbike tour through South America and the GIVI Trekker Outback started to fall apart roughly half way - I mean really falling apart! The springs to hold the boxes on the rack gave way even earlier and the only way to keep the boxes attached was to strap them over the saddle. Next thing that broke was the lower plastic bracket. I had a handy mechanic in Cusco who custom made a new attachment for me that holds now. When I wrote an email to Givi to ask where I can get spare parts in South America I got a snoopy reply that they usually don't deal with inquiries from the general public! GIVI = bad quality and absolut shit after sales service.
I had a look at the Kriega option as well and so far that one and the Touratech/Ortlieb bags seem to be the best option. I was just wondering if there are any other options.
Thanks for the feedback. Knowing that, if Give does make a rack to fit the desert sled, I would probably just go with the Touratech ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On my last weekend trip I used Kriega US-10 as a tank bag and a US-20 at the bag. 30L was enough for 2 night camping but I was annoyed by the bag in the back. It sits in the way and when riding standing it smashes sometimes into you :)

I will look for side bags for my next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my last weekend trip I used Kriega US-10 as a tank bag and a US-20 at the bag. 30L was enough for 2 night camping but I was annoyed by the bag in the back. It sits in the way and when riding standing it smashes sometimes into you :)

Thanks for the input. I am fitting my DS with a rack on the back so hopefully the bag will sit a bit further back and won't interfere too much with the riding. And Inlike it to have a bit more weight at the rear end of the bike. Especially when driving through sand
But it is great to see the size relation between the bike and the bags. Thanks for sharing that photo!

·
Registered
365 Posts

That's why I like the duffel (instead of a more traditional tail bag) combined with the side bags. Since it sits sideways, and gets a little support from the side bags, it doesn't creep as far forward, and I end up with enough seat space and nothing hitting my back while I ride. Even without a rear rack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
totally agree! and you get more space as well - double bonus :) Just wondering if the original rack from Ducati is good to support the side bags

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used something like this strapped to my KTM400 for bouncing around morocco. I used giant loop (ithink!) but this stuff is similar and cheaper. It's main advantage is that when you get where you're going, you just untie 2 straps and chuck it on your shoulder to carry.That takes about 20 seconds. It's tough in a crash and reasonably water proof, and you can tie other stuff to it.
ROGAL XL

·
Registered
909 Posts

I mounted my US30 sideways because of the lack of room - worked a treat:
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 8.26.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 8.26.50 AM.png

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Kriega Duo boards with small solo saddlebags failed last weekend. The straps that wrap back over themselves are not serrated or there is no velcro on the straps, each maybe for extra assurance would be good...

·
Registered
365 Posts
My Kriega Duo boards with small solo saddlebags failed last weekend. The straps that wrap back over themselves are not serrated or there is no velcro on the straps, each maybe for extra assurance would be good...

You definitely need to be careful getting all the straps adjusted tightly and cinched up. That said, if they are all routed correctly through hooks and what not, this shouldn't happen. I've done two thousand mile dual sport rides with them (one on the DS and one on my Icon last fall), and they've never come loose in the least. I'd guess that something was a little loose that you didn't see, and that's one of my big complaints about these bags. They are fiddly to get on and off the bike, and especially to adjust the tension between the two bags, and I think there is too much room for error in getting it right. I agree that I wish there was a better "lock-in" for the adjustments. I want hard bags.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thinking about ordering these. I like the yellow, as it would compliment the yellow accents on the bike. (Also comes in black)
Expedition Dry Saddle Bags by Wolfman Motorcycle Luggage

"These saddlebags will mount to a wide variety of racks with the included Universal Saddlebag Straps. Racks must be oval/rectangle shaped and height of hoop (top to bottom) must not exceed 9.5 inches (24cm). We've specifically tested them with these racks:

• Touratech
  • Hepco-Becker
  • Happy-Trails
  • GIVI
  • SW Motech
  • Moto-Racks"

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought the Ducati offered bag mounts and "classic" soft bags for my bike. I tend to travel extremely light and I don't camp ... I don't really need that much carry space. Just enough for my gear, a thin rain suit, a couple things for when I'm not on the bike, and my camera. If I need a little bit more space, a magnetic tank bag does fine to supplement it.

I assembled them onto the bike to test them out and they work fine ... the mount brackets are unobtrusive when I don't have the bags mounted and work well when I do. The bags are a waterproof "technical cloth" which the Land Rover I owned was upholstered in ... it's very tough, waterproof, and abrasion resistant. The only thing that's a little funky about the Classic bags is the use of straps and buckles on the closure ... I may change the buckles out for snap-together fasteners.

Not cheap, but they fit the bike perfectly and work well. They leave the rear of the seat open for another bag too if required.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought the Ducati offered bag mounts
Did you get the Ducati brackets below?

I was thinking of getting them for the new Giant Loop MotoTrekk panniers.

At a silent auction, I got a 30 liter version of the Mosko Moto Duffle that straps on very easily using just Rok Straps, and I highly recommend it. However, I wish I had the 40L version. I do not like the permanently-affixed wedges their pannier bags require.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts