Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with a solution on how to gently remove the luminous paint dots that are on nearly every tightened nut & bolt as they are spoiling the look?
A couple came off using my thumb nail but most seem to be permanent!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know those marks are on everything these days, I even have to do them myself in my job, I am an engineer building £20,000,000 super yachts, I do hundreds everyday, its to let the next person after you know that the item is torqued and finished, they are all over my little Honda commuter too

·
Registered
424 Posts
Now that I have my Icon, I can see the WD 40 doesn't work for this.

I tried several things and finally settled on a cotton rag and laquer thinner. This will dissolve the paint but be VERY careful around any plastic parts.

You may need to use a small probe ( like a very small screwdriver) the guide the cloth into the smaller spaces.

Use this with good ventilation & rubber gloves!

On a related note, a hairdryer (or heat gun) can be used to heat the many stickers so that they can be easily peeled off.

(I peeled them all off intact and re-stuck them in an unobtrusive position under the seat.)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I've got yellow and green ones all over the place! :rolleyes: I thought it was to show what had been PDI'd before sale, and then re-checked during service. Wonder what colour they will use next time :confused:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Has anyone come up with a solution on how to gently remove the luminous paint dots that are on nearly every tightened nut & bolt as they are spoiling the look?
A couple came off using my thumb nail but most seem to be permanent!
Ummm, my dealer made a point about this when I took delivery of the bike and it may have been just hogwash, but he said as a long time Ducati owner that many people look for those when they buy a used Ducati for what ever reason. May have been BS or not, but i don't even notice them anymore.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Now that I have my Icon, I can see the WD 40 doesn't work for this.

I tried several things and finally settled on a cotton rag and laquer thinner. This will dissolve the paint but be VERY careful around any plastic parts.

You may need to use a small probe ( like a very small screwdriver) the guide the cloth into the smaller spaces.

Use this with good ventilation & rubber gloves!

On a related note, a hairdryer (or heat gun) can be used to heat the many stickers so that they can be easily peeled off.

(I peeled them all off intact and re-stuck them in an unobtrusive position under the seat.)
Now that I may do, those stickers look ridiculous.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I used the wifes nail varnish remover. Not sure how strong it is but avoided contact with any painted plastics just in case

·
Registered
941 Posts
Nail polish remover is acetone, removes paint, damages plastic, and it's kinda toxic too.
I just had to go look the bike over in all the places I gave the bike bits a quick wipe. Thankfully no damage to any coating or surfaces. Maybe I just got lucky but I do not think I will risk using it again...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had no problem at all with acetone. I'm surprised the marks were not removed at the factory. - looks kind of sloppy.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
They mark that the bolts have been tightened correctly. I think I'd like to know that.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Me too,:) Better than having loose fasteners, :rolleyes: It's also a guide to the guy who builds your bike, he doesn't have to remember which bolts he's tightened after his tea break :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Some of the fasteners to me seemed to be overly torqued down though and that sucks when you are doing mods or other improvements.
Some of the smaller screws seem to be over tightened because a lot of them are pre treated with loctite , so the initial undoing is breaking the loctite seal,
They undo easier in warmer weather, so if you get a stubborn one try warming it up with a hair dryer,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts