Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the Oxford products lifetime X1 X2 and X4 may fit the Scrambler. Can anyone confirm that the magnets are in the right place? Are any of you using one successfully?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I have a Givi magnetic tank bag just for carrying a few bits and bobs- works a treat :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
El Toro great, which Givi version do you use?
Gettting a magnetic bag that fits seems quite difficult.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I put a magnetic tank bag on my wife's red Icon, the magnets were marking the tank in less than a day's riding, so took it off.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A word kf warning, I follow a lady on instagram who's done some miles on her Urban Enduro, some of her pictures show the paint on the raised tank ridges worn through to primer! Might be worth putting a soft cloth under any tank bag? Check her website Alicia Sornosa I am the first and only Spanish woman that has traveled around the world with her motorcycle. Would you come with me
I use the Scrambler magnetic tank bag. Between the magnets and the paint is a piece of black terry cloth towel that is invisible with the tank in place. Magnets still hold tight. And the towel is easier to keep clean (and scratchless) than the magnets.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The paint is shockingly thin on these bikes,well the UE for definate.
I accidentally scratched the tank removing the tank panels,luckily not visible,but just showed how easily it can be done and how thin and delicate the paint is.Was wondering if it's because of the matt paint?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Screenshot_2015-08-01-18-14-07.png

It has her around the world route on it ;-) It also looks like she is using the OE tank bag as well. I'm guessing it's daily use plus whatever muck has got underneath that has worn the paint away. Worth thinking about if you're going to fit a tank bag regularly?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Mmm I bought the scrambler magnetic tank bag, I was going to use it most of the time save having my backpack,
I too noticed it was marking the tank , so I only use it when I really need to now, bit of a pain really,

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had reservations about something sitting on a matte finish from the get-go.

I'd have to imagine at the very least it'll wear some of the high points of the matte down and make it glossy at the points of contact.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have been using an Icon magnetic tank bag. I don't use it all of the time but when I do it is very useful (quite large) and I have not experienced any scratching or marring of the paint. It has a nice pad under the bag and the magnets are also protected. I do make sure the tank is clean before I put the bag on and find that the magnets are strong enough to hold it in place even with a substantial load. It is a soft bag so looks are not important to me... how it carries what I need is. I use the handle bar strap as a backup for security but have never had a reason to think I would need it.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Mines firm enough, it doesn't move at all, but on a day out when I have to fill up and it's been raining or wet and mucky it's difficult not to move it around, then you get small scratches and the paint does seem very soft,

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I absolutely hate tanks bags - haven't seen one yet that didn't screw up the tank - given enough time. The magnetic ones seen to be the worst offenders, as they seem to attract all kinds of "grit" when they are off the bike.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love magnetic tank bags. I've used them on at least 10 bikes over many years, including 5 Ducatis, and never had a problem. They are so handy to use.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts