Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think us mere mortals would feel the difference in performance between mag alloys and spoked rims? I swapped mine and I'm convinced it's slowed the bike down with spokes but given it a more planted feel.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Makes sense, but you have to make sure all things are equal (same tires and tire pressure).

Btw, welcome to the wonderful world of polishing your spokes, yes they will rust....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense, but you have to make sure all things are equal (same tires and tire pressure).

Btw, welcome to the wonderful world of polishing your spokes, yes they will rust....
I've already had chronic back ache trying to clean them :grumpy: but they do look mint:encouragement:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

In fact thinking about it, my mags had mt60s on and the spokes have Angel gt's on so if I had the same tyres I'd probably feel it more!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
In fact thinking about it, my mags had mt60s on and the spokes have Angel gt's on so if I had the same tyres I'd probably feel it more!
Do the GT's give you more confidence on the road?
I am very happy with the MT60's but wonder if the GT's are even better.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Spoked wheels are generally heavier than alloy wheels so in theory they will have a negative effect on both suspension and turning. Depending on the set up of an individual bike and what the rider wants that negative effect could actually be a positive. There is no easy answer to the original question except to say that most most riders most of the time any noticeable effects are probably mental rather than real.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the GT's give you more confidence on the road?
I am very happy with the MT60's but wonder if the GT's are even better.
I had just as much confidence in the corners as the mt60s (probably a bit more) and the wear rate is loads better maybe double the mileage, plus they look ok (not as good as the mt60's plus the mt gave me more confidence through gravel/rain/fire roads etc). I'm still unsure of what to go with next, probably not the tkcs due to the legal side but do I want mt60's again? I would as they look cool but every scrambler has them (except sled, café before anybody chelps in) maybe the angel gts as I'm still sticking with café look now so these would suit it better and only cost £10 more than the mt60s (fitted to loose wheels). I'm thinking mt60's on my spokes and angel gts on the lighter cast wheels.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Might get for the GT's then as don't go off-road (just got a klx 250s for that).
What's the price difference?
Having said all that I have two MT60's in the garage, so could be a while.
Cheers Armo.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I thought you had just bought a Chinese MX...?? or am I confusing you? I had a KLX 250 back in 2009... OK... little under powered (for me - heavy guy) and front forks were way too light in emergency braking..

Only issue I had was the rear subframe rusting.... and I clean regularly - every ride - kept in garage.... so check it out - up by rear indicator mounts.... stripped paint and removed rust and smooth hammerited back 18" frame..

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I thought you had just bought a Chinese MX...?? or am I confusing you? I had a KLX 250 back in 2009... OK... little under powered (for me - heavy guy) and front forks were way too light in emergency braking..

Only issue I had was the rear subframe rusting.... and I clean regularly - every ride - kept in garage.... so check it out - up by rear indicator mounts.... stripped paint and removed rust and smooth hammerited back 18" frame..
I recently bought a cw 140r pit bike. However maybe a road legal dual sport is more appropriate.

Thanks for the tip re the klx. Have just had a quick look and it appears to be ali without any rust.

·
Registered
51 Posts
that said, I recently sealed my rims and run my tires tubeless now. I can feel the difference...
Did you use a kit or marine tape to seal the spokes? Or something else?
What's the difference? Better? Are you using road tyres? Your impressions?
I want to do this feb 2019. Had a tube puncture the other day, at work. Nightmare. Eventually had the tube replaced at a cost of £50. I'd like to seal mine and fit Michelins, for easier puncture repair. I don't off road.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Did you use a kit or marine tape to seal the spokes? Or something else?
What's the difference? Better? Are you using road tyres? Your impressions?
I want to do this feb 2019. Had a tube puncture the other day, at work. Nightmare. Eventually had the tube replaced at a cost of £50. I'd like to seal mine and fit Michelins, for easier puncture repair. I don't off road.
Here you go:

https://www.scramblerforum.com/threads/tubeless-conversion.30027/

1 - 20 of 33 Posts