Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people keep on telling me how much more maintenance is required on a Ducati vs. others but when I researched this on Ducati's own site it stated the following:

"The enjoyment of riding, reliability and maximum containment of maintenance costs are among the main criteria that drive every engineering project in Ducati. We have spread out services to intervals of 24,000 km (15,000 miles) and on some models the main Desmo Service is not necessary until 30,000 km (18,000 miles). Even the simplest services, the Oil Service, have been spaced out to 12,000 km (7,500 miles) or 15,000 km (9,000 miles), values that represent an absolute reference for high performance engines."

This doesn't seem that far out of line with most other bikes I've owned and while I didn't see any mention of belt maintenance I can't imagine that one thing being a huge factor? or am I wrong?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Reliability has been good and haven't had any issues. He has only had the bike for about 6 months but so far so good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My only concern is that I hope they do not try to rush these trying to keep up with demand I want these to be reliable. I hear they are being made in Thailand they are lucky, they will probably have tons of aftermarket parts there.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assembled in thailand.
Motor and frame are still made in Italy and shipped to thailand, as the other parts that already cames from suppliers.

I wont worry about that.
Actually a recent post from a forum member that lives in Thailand had contacted Ducati and they informed him that the initial shipment of Scramblers to the US will be manufactured in Bologna Italy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They indicate a maintenance interval of 12000km, the same interval than the 796 monster, witch mean, hang on, 12000km or a year for oil, 12000km for valve clearance check, 24000km or 2 years for the timing belts.

You can expect the maintenance to be pricey.
This is what I'm curious about too. My valve service on my Diavel is every 15K miles. That might be a game changer for me if the Scrambler, half the cost of my Diavel, has twice the maintenance costs.. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
With all of the news that came out yesterday from Ducati, the 2015 models are better about this. The 2015 Ducati Diavel, Ducati Multistrata, and Ducati Monster are all boasting this.

Ducati said:
30,000km between major services
The Diavel’s Testastretta 11° DS engine reaches another milestone in Ducati’s constant investment in quality by enabling the distance between major service intervals (valve clearance check) to be set at an owner-friendly 30,000 kilometres (18,000 miles).
Ducati said:
30,000km between major services
Ducati said:
The Monster 1200’s Testastretta 11° DS engine reaches another milestone in Ducati’s constant investment in quality by enabling the distance between major service intervals (valve clearance check) to be set at an owner-friendly 30 000 kilometres (18 000 miles).

Ducati said:
Long maintenance intervals
Ducati said:
Constant investment in quality - ensured by design, advanced materials and cutting-edge engineering - has allowed Ducati to reduce scheduled maintenance requirements; routine maintenance intervals have been extended to 15,000 km (or one year) and valve timing adjustment to 30,000 km, providing clear advantages for customers. This has been achieved by employing special materials for the valve seats, improving combustion efficiency, and containing the running temperature of the Testastretta DVT engine. Moreover, the innovative DVT system does not in any way complicate the valve timing adjustment procedure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The impression I got from the Ducati release video was that the 3 factories (Italy, Brazil and Thailand) actually are there to service their areas with Italy servicing the USA. I don't see the economics of building the engine and frame in Italy, then sending it to Thailand for assembly and then back to the USA. But what do I know ?

·
Registered
619 Posts
What can I expect with this warranty, anyone had any expirence with getting their bike out to the shop and getting their ride to the house when "sick" or "injured"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Researched it? By going to the manufacturers site? That's like asking Monsanto if there genetically modified corn is good for you. That's not research that's drinking the Kool-aid.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
They indicate a maintenance interval of 12000km, the same interval than the 796 monster, witch mean, hang on, 12000km or a year for oil, 12000km for valve clearance check, 24000km or 2 years for the timing belts.

You can expect the maintenance to be pricey.
Timing belts are 60 months

·
Registered
213 Posts
hey guys

today I had the 1 year maintenance having 7200km or 4473 miles so I would like when the next maintenance needs to be assuming I am going to have more miles when my bike is 2 years old, I am going to be using my bike at least 1000 km or 0,6 miles per month

should I go for the 7500 miles (12000 km) ? or when should I go if my miles are going to be higher

thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you hit 7500 miles before next year, you still need to go in for a service, to get your valves checked.
thanks Joooooosh
guest what my dealer told when I asked when is my next service and he told me at 6213 miles / 10000 km and I was like mmmm no way
but makes sense next service at 7500 miles or 2 years

·
Registered
21 Posts
i think some of these view (expensive, unreliable) are based on old world Ducati, and are a little out of date.

I've been riding just over 20 years, have had Yam/Honda/Kwak etc etc... and am now on my third Ducati (747SPS, MTS 1200S and now Scrambler DS)...

OK so the 748 was a little hot headed at time, and needed some TLC (was par for the course with that model and year), however the modern 2014 MTS was incredible, and needed nothing other than riding, and tyres - it needed tyres. Took her all through the alps at altitude, mountain pass, off road across trails - etc etc... and it was incredible.

I am hoping and presuming the DS will prove just as reliable, though I will be doing less 500 mile days - more likely 80-100mile playtime in the dales/moors/peaks/lakes...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts