Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Scrambler for two years. I love nearly everything about this bike, it's quick, nimble, light and fun. However, it isn't a great touring bike. I know that one bike can't do everything ...but I would like to come close. I haven't made any changes to my icon, and I wondering what upgrades would make this bike "tour worthy"? I was thinking about a new seat, windscreen and bags. Highway speeds are almost unbearable. I also am looking at a Tiger 800 as a stall mate or replacement for the scrambler. Being female I didn't love the weight being higher on this bike, and the bike was almost too smooth. I'm sure it would be a great touring bike but I'm not sure I am willing to part with my scrambler. Thanks.

Heidi

·
Registered
234 Posts
A lot of the work I've been doing to my Full Throttle is to make it more 'distance capable' for light touring. For me this meant:
  • Improve the ergonomics and comfort :: I changed the bars to a lower, further forward bend (Rizoma MA006B) because I've got a long torso ... the stock bars were too wide, too high, and too close. I changed the seat to the Ducati Comfort Seat (seems pretty close for my size and weight). I added a small Dart fly screen, which takes the wind blast off my shoulders and chest. I also fitted CRG levers and bar end mirrors; smooth, slighter larger diameter grips; and the G2 Throttle Tamer.
  • Improve the lighting :: The stock headlight seemed a bit dim and poorly defined on low beam. I upgraded it to the Motodemic Adaptive LED headlamp, which is about 4x brighter and has a much better pattern. That required upgrading the turn indicators as well since the stock ones don't fit the Motodemic headlamp mounting bracketry.
  • Improve the engine's running at the low end :: The engine's rough, surging behavior off the line annoyed me and makes the bike much harder to handle off the line and in slow speed corners or traffic. I chose to go with a Rexxer User unit to reprogram the ECU and clean it up: it works beautifully.
  • Revise the final drive gearing :: On my bike, 70-75 mph required running at close to 5000 rpm stock. I switched the rear sprocket to a 43T which drops 75mph running down to about 4500 rpm; much nicer.
  • Add some storage :: Of course, you need somewhere to stuff your things when traveling. I am not intending long, long cross country rides, but I travel pretty light anyway. I decided to go with the Ducati Classic soft bags and brackets: they're modest capacity, reasonably good looking, and seem quite sturdy. If I need a little more space, a small duffel across the back of the seat and over the tops of the bags will work well. And a have a small magnetic tank bag for incidentals if I need it.
I'll ultimately also update the suspension at both ends and put better, more roadworthy tires on. I've done a couple of 'for cosmetics' changes as well, but that's just a matter of what I like to look at and doesn't affect how it works for a trip.

In the end, what I've done is to turn the "Scrambler" into much more of a sporty "standard", but that's generally always been the kind of bike I prefer to ride most. I don't really like the typical Dual Sport seating position: it's too upright and stretched out for me.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have had my Scrambler for two years. I love nearly everything about this bike, it's quick, nimble, light and fun. However, it isn't a great touring bike. I know that one bike can't do everything ...but I would like to come close. I haven't made any changes to my icon, and I wondering what upgrades would make this bike "tour worthy"? I was thinking about a new seat, windscreen and bags. Highway speeds are almost unbearable. I also am looking at a Tiger 800 as a stall mate or replacement for the scrambler. Being female I didn't love the weight being higher on this bike, and the bike was almost too smooth. I'm sure it would be a great touring bike but I'm not sure I am willing to part with my scrambler. Thanks.

Heidi
No mods needed, all this crap about seats, suspension, screens etc.etc. is just a load of rubbish, if all these things need changed then pretty much we've all wasted our money on a badge. You'll enjoy touring on this just the way it is, tours are not what you ride it's where you ride and roughing it smoothly is not really the point plus much more satisfaction and cudos for doing it outwith the fashion followers.
I tour every year on nakeds and have no interest in doing it with so called 'tourers'. Strap on a soft bag plus a satnav and away you go. Stay off highways if it's a problem ?? They're horrible to be on regardless of what bike you're on.
ps.
A Sled is no different to the Icon, believe me, I have both, infact my Urban Enduro handles better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No mods needed, all this crap about seats, suspension, screens etc.etc. is just a load of rubbish, if all these things need changed then pretty much we've all wasted our money on a badge. You'll enjoy touring on this just the way it is, tours are not what you ride it's where you ride and roughing it smoothly is not really the point plus much more satisfaction and cudos for doing it outwith the fashion followers.
I tour every year on nakeds and have no interest in doing it with so called 'tourers'. Strap on a soft bag plus a satnav and away you go. Stay off highways if it's a problem ?? They're horrible to be on regardless of what bike you're on.
ps.
A Sled is no different to the Icon, believe me, I have both, infact my Urban Enduro handles better.
Good point!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A lot of the work I've been doing to my Full Throttle is to make it more 'distance capable' for light touring. For me this meant:
  • Improve the ergonomics and comfort :: I changed the bars to a lower, further forward bend (Rizoma MA006B) because I've got a long torso ... the stock bars were too wide, too high, and too close. I changed the seat to the Ducati Comfort Seat (seems pretty close for my size and weight). I added a small Dart fly screen, which takes the wind blast off my shoulders and chest. I also fitted CRG levers and bar end mirrors; smooth, slighter larger diameter grips; and the G2 Throttle Tamer.
  • Improve the lighting :: The stock headlight seemed a bit dim and poorly defined on low beam. I upgraded it to the Motodemic Adaptive LED headlamp, which is about 4x brighter and has a much better pattern. That required upgrading the turn indicators as well since the stock ones don't fit the Motodemic headlamp mounting bracketry.
  • Improve the engine's running at the low end :: The engine's rough, surging behavior off the line annoyed me and makes the bike much harder to handle off the line and in slow speed corners or traffic. I chose to go with a Rexxer User unit to reprogram the ECU and clean it up: it works beautifully.
  • Revise the final drive gearing :: On my bike, 70-75 mph required running at close to 5000 rpm stock. I switched the rear sprocket to a 43T which drops 75mph running down to about 4500 rpm; much nicer.
  • Add some storage :: Of course, you need somewhere to stuff your things when traveling. I am not intending long, long cross country rides, but I travel pretty light anyway. I decided to go with the Ducati Classic soft bags and brackets: they're modest capacity, reasonably good looking, and seem quite sturdy. If I need a little more space, a small duffel across the back of the seat and over the tops of the bags will work well. And a have a small magnetic tank bag for incidentals if I need it.
I'll ultimately also update the suspension at both ends and put better, more roadworthy tires on. I've done a couple of 'for cosmetics' changes as well, but that's just a matter of what I like to look at and doesn't affect how it works for a trip.

In the end, what I've done is to turn the "Scrambler" into much more of a sporty "standard", but that's generally always been the kind of bike I prefer to ride most. I don't really like the typical Dual Sport seating position: it's too upright and stretched out for me.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
234 Posts
,kkkkkk
ps.
Aren't you the guy who also lowers the gearing on the Scramblers so you can "launch out of corners" more easily? I can't speak for anyone else, but sitting all day on a bike revving its guts out with bars that are too high and wide just doesn't sound like any fun to me. It tends to distract from enjoying where I'm going. :D

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've done a lot of touring miles on my bike, with only a few mods. I just use a seatpad and changed the gearing.
My suggestions for an Icon would be these, in this order:

Seat - either replace the seat with an aftermarket option you like the look of. Or get yourself an Airhawk 2 seat pad. I rode 1600 miles through Europe with my Airhawk, love it.
Handlebar - The standard bars sit you up so straight, the wind batters you. The FT bars or even better, slightly narrower, lower after market ones make higher speed much easier.
Gearing - I did a fairly minor change to a 44 Tooth sprocket on the rear wheel but this dropped 75-80mph to below 6k rpm, which is much more relaxing
Tyres - Stock tyres wear very quickly (4000miles) and are quite stiff. I'm currently using Metzler Roadtec Z8's and they are amazing. Bike turns better and rides smoother.
Luggage - this one is preference. I prefer bags on the seat and tank, so the bike is not any wider than normal and I can balance weight between front/back.
Suspension - Not vital but aftermarket suspension will vastly improve the ride quality and add the ability to adjust the setup to compensate for added luggage weight
ECU map - Having the ECU remapped smooths out the throttle response and really adds a lot more pull higher in the rev range.
Bluetooth headset - e.g. Sena 20s. Listening to background music and being able to chat with your riding buddy absolutely changes the experience.

Gym/Training - I hate windscreens on the Scrambler. They ruin the looks of the bike and I've never ridden a bike with a screen that actually helped. I'm fairly tall at 6'1" and screens just direct the wind into my neck and face, buffeting my head and making loads of noise. I much prefer wind to hit me in the chest. My arms are much stronger than my neck... I prepare for longer trips by training the muscles that support my upper body and neck. It really reduces fatigue.
The whole reason I like naked bikes is to be out in the breeze. It keeps you honest as you feel the speed you are doing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds like you've done about what I have, Jooooooosh. I went a bit farther on some details, that's all.

I agree about wind screens that you sit behind and attempt to look through. The little Dart fly screen, however, just smooths the air around my upper body and does not set up any buffeting to create noise or rattle the helmet.

I don't use GPS or play music when I'm riding. I study the route and know where I'm going before I set out, put in my ear plugs and enjoy the silence... :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
,kkkkkk

Aren't you the guy who also lowers the gearing on the Scramblers so you can "launch out of corners" more easily? I can't speak for anyone else, but sitting all day on a bike revving its guts out with bars that are too high and wide just doesn't sound like any fun to me. It tends to distract from enjoying where I'm going. :D
The first sentence says 'no mods needed' that would include changing the gearing would it not?

I lower the gearing as often as I raise it depending on what I feel like at the time, not really sure why you picked up on this other than to irritate.
I don't just change the gearing, I cut them up modify & rebuild , fabricate complete one off bikes, design and make full stainless exhausts, strip, modify and rebuild engines all sort's to mostly every vehicle I have as well as for others, It's nothing to do with making it better for touring.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello
That's not exactly what a good friend, previously owner of an Icon, and now owner, like me, of a Desert Sled, tells me.
I've owned a Classic, without any saddle mods and made a lot of touring with it. I now own a Desert Sled and I can tell you it's much more adapted to touring than my Classic : suspensions allow you to ride more confidently on any roads, even very bumpy roads and the rider comfort is far better on the Sled than on any other Scrambler. The position is really different and better.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
A windscreen makes all the difference at highway speeds, Heidi. Well worth spending a few dollars to try one, in my opinion. Then you can decide if you want to spend a little more on a seat upgrade and some luggage. I rode to the Grand Canyon last year, and to Nova Scotia this year, thinking about the Icefields Parkway next year. Make a few mods to suit, and the Scrambler makes a nice touring bike.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hello

That's not exactly what a good friend, previously owner of an Icon, and now owner, like me, of a Desert Sled, tells me.
I've owned a Classic, without any saddle mods and made a lot of touring with it. I now own a Desert Sled and I can tell you it's much more adapted to touring than my Classic : suspensions allow you to ride more confidently on any roads, even very bumpy roads and the rider comfort is far better on the Sled than on any other Scrambler. The position is really different and better.
Everybody's djfferent, all I can say is I along with a few friends are jumping back and forth between my Sled, Classic and Urban Enduro plus my other bikes on twistie back roads which I'd say is more acurate than trying to remember what an ex bike was like and pretty much we all have come to the same conclusion apart from my wife who can't ride the Sled as she's too short but prefers her Classic to the Urban and her Diavel to all of them.
Personaly I prefer my Sled as an all rounder but it's not as sharp on the corners. Softer yes but not as precise as the others. Not really an issue because for touring or adrenalin I use my 1290 Superduke.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've done a lot of touring miles on my bike, with only a few mods. I just use a seatpad and changed the gearing.
My suggestions for an Icon would be these, in this order:

Seat - either replace the seat with an aftermarket option you like the look of. Or get yourself an Airhawk 2 seat pad. I rode 1600 miles through Europe with my Airhawk, love it.
Handlebar - The standard bars sit you up so straight, the wind batters you. The FT bars or even better, slightly narrower, lower after market ones make higher speed much easier.
Gearing - I did a fairly minor change to a 44 Tooth sprocket on the rear wheel but this dropped 75-80mph to below 6k rpm, which is much more relaxing
Tyres - Stock tyres wear very quickly (4000miles) and are quite stiff. I'm currently using Metzler Roadtec Z8's and they are amazing. Bike turns better and rides smoother.
Luggage - this one is preference. I prefer bags on the seat and tank, so the bike is not any wider than normal and I can balance weight between front/back.
Suspension - Not vital but aftermarket suspension will vastly improve the ride quality and add the ability to adjust the setup to compensate for added luggage weight
ECU map - Having the ECU remapped smooths out the throttle response and really adds a lot more pull higher in the rev range.
Bluetooth headset - e.g. Sena 20s. Listening to background music and being able to chat with your riding buddy absolutely changes the experience.

Gym/Training - I hate windscreens on the Scrambler. They ruin the looks of the bike and I've never ridden a bike with a screen that actually helped. I'm fairly tall at 6'1" and screens just direct the wind into my neck and face, buffeting my head and making loads of noise. I much prefer wind to hit me in the chest. My arms are much stronger than my neck... I prepare for longer trips by training the muscles that support my upper body and neck. It really reduces fatigue.
The whole reason I like naked bikes is to be out in the breeze. It keeps you honest as you feel the speed you are doing.
Thanks you for your detailed reply. Lots of good info.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I found the Urban Enduro (and all the other Scramblers actually) way too small for me, a bot too Grom-ish. Too low, short peg to seat distance... Fun for half an hour. I'm not particularly tall, but not short either with a 32" inseam. I have a background riding dual sports which in general are fairly tall.

In that respect the Desert Sled is much better for me, especially with a slightly taller seat. And the suspension adds even more comfort for touring.

I think it's safe to say the comfort is largely depending on your size. I am 5'10" which I think is right in the sweet spot of the DS. If you're any shorter the UE or the other Scrambler could be a better fit.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's very interesting to hear what works for different people in the context of their height and inseam. The DS is simply too tall for me to be comfortable on ... I'm 6' with a 29" inseam (my riding trousers are 32" inseam to give me a couple of inches extra length so they don't pull out of my boots...). Long torso, long arms ... yet: I can flatfoot the Full Throttle fitted with the Comfort Seat still with bent knees. The DS has me unsteadily on tip-toes at a stop, which is out of my comfort zone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A windscreen makes all the difference at highway speeds, Heidi. Well worth spending a few dollars to try one, in my opinion. Then you can decide if you want to spend a little more on a seat upgrade and some luggage. I rode to the Grand Canyon last year, and to Nova Scotia this year, thinking about the Icefields Parkway next year. Make a few mods to suit, and the Scrambler makes a nice touring bike.

Sarah
greer,

What windscreen did you purchase? I have read many mixed reviews on windscreens. I am ready to purchase but I haven't made a decision on which one to buy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm not Sarah, but this is the one I bought and like:

Piranha Flyscreen

Since I'm using the Motodemic headlight conversion, I bought it through them with their dedicated brackets designed to work with their headlight bracketry.. It's a perfect fit, looks neat, and produces no buffeting. This is the "short" model ... the "standard" model Dart fly screen is about three inches taller.

Fitted on my bike:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ramarren,

I have been looking at the Dart windscreens. I'm surprised that the short one makes a difference. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ramarren,
I have been looking at the Dart windscreens. I'm surprised that the short one makes a difference. Thanks.
For my purposes, it's just enough: it takes the brunt of the wind blast at 50-60 mph and above and just smooths it out around my torso, leaving my helmet in clear air. It also both hides and protects the electricals and cables that used to be jammed together behind the stock headlight assembly so that they don't get as covered with dirt and bugs. I look over it completely too, it's not in the way of my seeing anything.

Some folks prefer more coverage and some less, for sure. This, with the seating position I've configured on the bike, does the job just right for me. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts