Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I have had 2 demo rides on the Ducati Scrambler. One on an Icon and one on a Desert Sled. Realy, really loving the design and dimensions, but I’m missing something that completes the bike.

The engine is just too smooth, I’m missing character. I’m not talking about loudness, but I feel it could use something as a sharper camshaft, lighter flywheel, old carbs, etc. Just to make it more nervous and give it an oldschool touch.

Removing the cat and re-mapping it should give some noticeable changes. But I’m curious if anyone did more tuning on the engine.

Or am I the only one that has these feelings towards the Scrambler?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess you could take engine parts from an old Monster and get "up to" 100 hp.
What would be exchangable?
The problem is that you have an ECU, right? So instelling a larger throttle body e.g. would require custom mapping. Then again, you dan also mount a carburettor.

I'm not implying that I'm going to buy a monster and do it. It would cost some money and time. I'm more curious about the potential of the scrambler engine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, that's definitely the first time I have heard this complaint. . usually it's just the opposite. Unless the Throttle tube is REALLY different on the new ones. Mine feels like a nervous mustang. (that's a good thing in my opinion).
As far as getting more out of that engine, the Intake Express power up kit looks promising.

Cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bunbury Ducati did have a 100hp kit they were developing which I think is done .Its about 1500 AUD .Were having problems with fueling ....Funny that .Consist of new Aircleaner,,,Std bit Restrictive .Opening Airbox of course and few others.Also think Wasp Works also Aussie were working on something .She would be fun for sure

·
Registered
154 Posts
Now I remember the clutch couldn't handle it either so ends being pretty expensive .Still never have to much power...I said 20 years ago

·
Registered
138 Posts
What would be exchangable?
The problem is that you have an ECU, right? So instelling a larger throttle body e.g. would require custom mapping. Then again, you dan also mount a carburettor.

I'm not implying that I'm going to buy a monster and do it. It would cost some money and time. I'm more curious about the potential of the scrambler engine.
I'm not implying that I know how to do it, but I entertain the thought. The old Monster has the same engine block but different intake and probably a few other interchangeable bits. The ECU from the donor Monster or a performance map from said model would do the job. I talked to someone who among other things had bored his Monster 800 S2R up to 839 cc, I did fall off the conversation after a few seconds but from what i understood theres a lot can be done with a Scrambler as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not the gasresponse I'm talking about, more the liveliness. The enige is smooth, it runs relatively fast. Yet it does not feel alive to me. No pun intended.

I think the initial way to go is:

- Changing the sprocket to a size smaller on the front (for low speed 2nd gear pick-up).
- Doing an airbox mod
- Open exhaust system
- Remapping

If that isn't enough, you can get a bit more serious by making changes to engine parts. So far not many people have done this, at least I have not found supportive information about it. I was just hoping someone would have found some exchangeable ducati parts or anything else that would give a large increase of power. It would be great if there would be a bang for the buck upgrade. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pretty much done all that except sprocket .Losing weight would help to .Intake express sounds the GO US? as 100 hp seems relatively easy enuf THINK about 80 plus now but no dyno .Sprocket seems a waste as I'm going up one tooth .Plenty torque there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here in the Netherlands, we have lot's of roundabouts that you usually take with low rpm in 2nd gear. With V-Twins it helps to mount a smaller front sprocket to prevent the engine from jerking. Did this also with my Aprilia RSV Mille.

Anyway, took a look deeper into the intake express.. The bundle seems to consist of these parts:

- Power Commander 5 ($340)
- 2x Custom alloy inlets ($??)
- 2x K&N filter (2x 56 = $112)
- Water repellent sock for the filter (2x 36= $72)
- K&N air idle & crankcase breather filters (+/-$40)
- various mouting plates, bolts, clamps, etc.

Total cost: without the allow inlets, V-twin maps: $564

Of course, the alloy inlets and V-Twin mappings are key to this set-up, which cost an additional $500,-. Ps. I took the Scrambler version from K&N for this comparison.
It can be interesting, but it costs a bunch. They have not updated their website and not posted results for a Scrambler. Other ducati bikes seem to gain 6 to 10 bhp compared to the standard version of the bike.

As the Scrambler has 75bhp standard, I don't think this kit and a open exhaust system will bring it to 100bhp :)
Or was that not something you were implying?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts