Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a matte black and orange striped 1100 sport. I think the aluminum sie panels, fork covers, and sub-frame are really out of place. I cant remove the sub-frame, but I can remove all the panels and probably the fork covers.

Has anyone painted metal-based parts like these? What steps are needed? There area lot of in-depth tutorials on YouTube but mostly for sanded and primed polymer fairings.

*Alternatively, all new black parts from a 2019 1100 come to about $700. That does NOT include the sub-frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I painted my 2018 Sport's raw aluminum parts with matte black spray paint. Prepped the surfaces and primed them. Then gave them 2 coats. Looks great and has lasted almost a year now with no flakes, bubbles or runs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I painted my 2018 Sport's raw aluminum parts with matte black spray paint. Prepped the surfaces and primed them. Then gave them 2 coats. Looks great and has lasted almost a year now with no flakes, bubbles or runs.
Thanks. Can you list the specific products you used? Maybe a tutorial you refereed to?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I should think a wrap would work and be fairly easy (with a hairdryer/heat gun) I recently bought a 1100 Special and the previous owner painted all the brushed metal panels with Plasti-Dip black paint, looked ok (you could see the etched 1100 coming through though) I wanted it back to stock so removed it all, a light rub over with white spirit and it lifts the paint and then just peeled it all off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

I painted all those parts in with actual paint a year ago. So far so good, but I didn't it myself, took it to a dealer and had it done in a couple of days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts