Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a Triumph and Ducati comparison test. The results may surprise some people. I'm a former T-Scram owner and I was certainly surprised. For pure stat freaks, Duc 11.91 @106.48, 0-60 3.59, 0-100 10.2. That's as fast as the Z06 Corvette I had. Motor has 69.95 RWHP @8500 RPM and 46.53 lb.ft torque @ 7000 RPM. The torque curve shows 40 - 46 lb.ft. from 3500 to 8500 RPM. Not bad for a cheap dirt bike. Here's how they stacked up against each other. Suspension, Transmission, Clutch, Ergonomics, Instruments and Controls went to the Triumph. Brakes, Handling and Value went to the Duc. They tied for Motor and Overall Riding Impressions.
As we've all heard in the past, the throttle response was terrible not only off idle but throughout the range. The seat sucked, the trans was notchy with high shift effort, the brakes were grabby and the suspension was bad at both ends. Who would think the Triumph's miserable suspension would beat out a Duc. Maintenance costs was 2x for the Duc over the Triumph.
Kind of discouraging for a guy who just sold his beloved Triumph Scrambler to get the Ducati. Let's hope they were riding a preproduction version and some of the issues have been ironed out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Triumph is an hold bike produced still today, Ducati is a new project, a modern bike, lighter, and with more power and handling...

what else?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The new April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a Triumph and Ducati comparison test. The results may surprise some people. I'm a former T-Scram owner and I was certainly surprised. For pure stat freaks, Duc 11.91 @106.48, 0-60 3.59, 0-100 10.2. That's as fast as the Z06 Corvette I had. Motor has 69.95 RWHP @8500 RPM and 46.53 lb.ft torque @ 7000 RPM. The torque curve shows 40 - 46 lb.ft. from 3500 to 8500 RPM. Not bad for a cheap dirt bike. Here's how they stacked up against each other. Suspension, Transmission, Clutch, Ergonomics, Instruments and Controls went to the Triumph. Brakes, Handling and Value went to the Duc. They tied for Motor and Overall Riding Impressions.
As we've all heard in the past, the throttle response was terrible not only off idle but throughout the range. The seat sucked, the trans was notchy with high shift effort, the brakes were grabby and the suspension was bad at both ends. Who would think the Triumph's miserable suspension would beat out a Duc. Maintenance costs was 2x for the Duc over the Triumph.
Kind of discouraging for a guy who just sold his beloved Triumph Scrambler to get the Ducati. Let's hope they were riding a preproduction version and some of the issues have been ironed out.
There's a couple of back to back tests on here, done by people who actually used their OWN cash to buy them.
The test you posted does not reflect what other real owners have found.
I don't think you'll have any regrets. (I hope). If you do then with all the waiting lists around the world you won't find it hard to move on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
El Toro and Hui, I certainly don't believe everything I read. Having owned 50 bikes and 3 of them Ducatis I form my opinion from the saddle. However, there are many out there waiting for the Duc and some who are on the fence about it, so an article like this one could tip the scales for them. The truth is that most of what was written was accurate on both sides. But over the years the naysayers said you couldn't ride a 500 lb.Triumph Scrambler off road. BS. I've taken mine in the woods here in Oregon along with friends on GS's, Huskys, Hondas, KTM's etc and have kept up with all of them. And I had a ton of fun. Take 100 lbs. off, add some power and to me that equates to more fun. Every bike needs some tweaking to make it right for you. The Duc is no different.
Bring it on and let's get dirty.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
El Toro and Hui, I certainly don't believe everything I read. Having owned 50 bikes and 3 of them Ducatis I form my opinion from the saddle. However, there are many out there waiting for the Duc and some who are on the fence about it, so an article like this one could tip the scales for them. The truth is that most of what was written was accurate on both sides. But over the years the naysayers said you couldn't ride a 500 lb.Triumph Scrambler off road. BS. I've taken mine in the woods here in Oregon along with friends on GS's, Huskys, Hondas, KTM's etc and have kept up with all of them. And I had a ton of fun. Take 100 lbs. off, add some power and to me that equates to more fun. Every bike needs some tweaking to make it right for you. The Duc is no different.
Bring it on and let's get dirty.
Yeah, well said.
I hope I didn't seem anti Triumph just because I'm getting a Ducati. I like them all and have been looking for a Triumph or a Kawasaki W650-800 or something similar to make a Steve McQueen tribute.
I do get a bit agitated at some of the shyte journalists come away with though.

·
Registered
834 Posts
One of my best mates has a triumph and he has had many ducatis recently. He loves his scrambler limited edition ( white with red and blue stripes through the centre) and he goes everywhere on it. They please me but not enough to part with cash as much as I like traditional look. He will undoubtedly run me ragged on his but he has speed and experience running through his veins. I fell for the retro look with the homage to tradition and that's why I have one. Its all about the riders feelings and if he is happy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When ever I am buying a new bike I never go on other peoples assumptions, what I like somebody else might hate, I have been a Ducati hater all my life, until I saw the Scrambler, I liked the look so I test rode it and bought it, Yes the motor makes funny noises I'm not used too, the throttle is a little quick and caught me out the first time I rode one. Apart from that the bike makes me smile and I enjoy riding it

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sounds like they are moving pretty quickly on the fueling issues, I believe I've heard they are releasing a new map very soon? I'm very surprised about the suspension comparison, that is the second comparison review I've read now to mention it. I just sold my Triumph Thruxton and the first thing I changed out was the woeful suspension...
Bah!
Oh well. Customising is the fun part!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like they are moving pretty quickly on the fueling issues, I believe I've heard they are releasing a new map very soon? I'm very surprised about the suspension comparison, that is the second comparison review I've read now to mention it. I just sold my Triumph Thruxton and the first thing I changed out was the woeful suspension...
Bah!
Oh well. Customising is the fun part!!!
It is so funny, in a nice way, that so many folks have said that about the triumph bonnie line of bikes. Had a T100 for 2 years...put 18,000 or so miles on it and never noticed anything strange or in deficit within its shocks. Maybe I just am not that observant or too dumb. What was it about it that everyone feels was lacking or bad. Should I watch out in the Ducati, everyone says how rough it is?

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is so funny, in a nice way, that so many folks have said that about the triumph bonnie line of bikes. Had a T100 for 2 years...put 18,000 or so miles on it and never noticed anything strange or in deficit within its shocks. Maybe I just am not that observant or too dumb. What was it about it that everyone feels was lacking or bad. Should I watch out in the Ducati, everyone says how rough it is?
I guess it depends a lot on your riding style and the roads you ride on. I found that it was very under sprung and under damped, especially in the front. It was quite unsettling cornering at speed on anything other than a very smooth road. Not to mention the extreme brake dive. I swapped the font springs, put in a cartridge emulator and adjustable at the back and I had a new bike. Much more planted, soaked up the bumps very nicely :) I can't talk for the Scrambler as I'm still waiting for mine :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Agree its what you want out of a bike not what others feel you need lol.
Me I fell in love with the style not its off road capabilites, yes the front suspension could be better, but I have read it only has one cassette ( gubbins thingy whatsit, I'm used to springs better ones or more or less oil sorted my requirement in the past!) in one and not in other! so in my mind I'm hoping if I need to adjust buy a "set" of cassette things and fit in BOTH forks lol, a winter project 2016 if needed.
The seat I think will need sorting personal opinion is the rider part is to narrow (for my aging bones anyway) but gel pads will sort it so I can keep the style.
false neutrals yeah I get them but its all new so should sort itself, but I'm not adverse to kicking it down if it want go niceley! bike hasn't doesn't complained!
And I have said the tank could do with another gallon without making to much difference to style and size

Still its sunny and dry out so I think I'm off out for a ride!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts