Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Congrats! I have the brushed stainless version. My only complaint so far is the baffle rattles and squeaks at times.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

-Bob

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! I have the brushed stainless version. My only complaint so far is the baffle rattles and squeaks at times.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

-Bob
Yikes! Have you addressed this with the company? Any reply?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yikes! Have you addressed this with the company? Any reply?
I have not. I bought it on ebay from Omnia Racing in Italy. I think the sounds are a side effect of the removable baffle. It has to have some play to remove and install it. You can see the play if you grab the baffle and spin it or wiggle it around.

I'm waiting for a pair of snap ring pliers and a tube of RTV Silicone Gasket Maker (Permatex 81878) from Amazon. When they arrive I will put a few dots around the baffle to hold it in place, but not enough to make it non removable.

Not a major issue, really. I needed the pliers to be able to remove the baffle and the tube of RTV was only a few dollars more. I read about it somewhere (I forget where) so I knew going in the baffle would rattle at certain RPMs.

-Bob

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not. I bought it on ebay from Omnia Racing in Italy. I think the sounds are a side effect of the removable baffle. It has to have some play to remove and install it. You can see the play if you grab the baffle and spin it or wiggle it around.

I'm waiting for a pair of snap ring pliers and a tube of RTV Silicone Gasket Maker (Permatex 81878) from Amazon. When they arrive I will put a few dots around the baffle to hold it in place, but not enough to make it non removable.

Not a major issue, really. I needed the pliers to be able to remove the baffle and the tube of RTV was only a few dollars more. I read about it somewhere (I forget where) so I knew going in the baffle would rattle at certain RPMs.

-Bob
I'm assuming this is the baffle? I can't move mine...as far as I can tell, it's solid in there. I don't plan to remove it either...so that works for me but I'm guessing once I start riding and the vibration, it might happen that it comes loose?

I also got mine from Omnia Racing. I can hear a small piece of metal rattling inside when I shake/turn the exhaust upside down etc...tiny piece...

Inked2018-11-30 15.39.05_LI.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm assuming this is the baffle? I can't move mine...as far as I can tell, it's solid in there. I don't plan to remove it either...so that works for me but I'm guessing once I start riding and the vibration, it might happen that it comes loose?

I also got mine from Omnia Racing. I can hear a small piece of metal rattling inside when I shake/turn the exhaust upside down etc...tiny piece...

View attachment 37483

Yes, that's it. I'll get a picture of mine when I get home tonight.

Here's the one I bought:

Zard exhaust slip on silencer not homologated goldcap Ducati Scrambler 800 2015> | eBay

It's the "non-homologated" version so maybe that's why mine is removable.

[edit]

Do you have a pic without the red circle. Something doesn't look quite right.

[/edit]

-Bob

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
280 Posts
Both are no homologated and have removable db killers...

View attachment 37485
Ok, it looks like the snap ring isn't installed correctly. It looks like it's partly in front and partly behind the baffle. It should be in front of the baffle.

I'll post a pic when I get home in a couple of hours.

-Bob

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, it looks like the snap ring isn't installed correctly. It looks like it's partly in front and partly behind the baffle. It should be in front of the baffle.

I'll post a pic when I get home in a couple of hours.

-Bob
Oh wow...is this something I can fix myself?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh wow...is this something I can fix myself?
Here's how mine is:

20181130_172647.jpg

It's not a very good pic, but you can see how the ring is in front of the baffle plate all the way around.

I don't know if you can hold the ring and turn the baffle counter-, or anti- clockwise to free it. It looks like the baffle has a portion that is in front of the ring. Is it supposed to be that way? I don't know. I do know that it doesn't look like mine.

-Bob

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here's how mine is:

View attachment 37493

It's not a very good pic, but you can see how the ring is in front of the baffle plate all the way around.

I don't know if you can hold the ring and turn the baffle counter-, or anti- clockwise to free it. It looks like the baffle has a portion that is in front of the ring. Is it supposed to be that way? I don't know. I do know that it doesn't look like mine.

-Bob
I think I understand. My exhaust, the ring is sticking out more on one side compared to the other side? So it should stick out/poke out equaly all the way around? I was messing around with it for a few seconds and now the DB killer slightly moves...maybe WD40 it and try to fiddle around the clip with some needle nose pliers?

To remove the DB killer, what exactly has to be done with the clip/ring?

Update, I got the clip to spin around more freely just by pushing it around in a circle with a thin screw driver...didn't change how it looks though...

When looking at your pic, my clip/ring looks the same to me...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think I understand. My exhaust, the ring is sticking out more on one side compared to the other side? So it should stick out/poke out equaly all the way around? I was messing around with it for a few seconds and now the DB killer slightly moves...maybe WD40 it and try to fiddle around the clip with some needle nose pliers?

To remove the DB killer, what exactly has to be done with the clip/ring?

Update, I got the clip to spin around more freely just by pushing it around in a circle with a thin screw driver...didn't change how it looks though...

When looking at your pic, my clip/ring looks the same to me...
The silver plate with the hole in it, at about the 5 o'clock position in the picture, should be behind the dark ring that has the hole at each end. It looks like you can rotate the baffle while holding the ring and it may move into place.

I don't know how wedged it is, but yes some lubricant may help.

To remove the ring, a tool called "snap ring pliers" are used. It has pins that fit into the holes in the ring and either expand or contract it depending on how the ring is used.

I bought this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YYM76/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The last picture shows how the pins fit into the holes. The pliers probably aren't going to help you with this though. You need something to stop the ring from rotating with the baffle as you turn it. You're going to need at least 3 hands: 1 to hold the slip-on, 1 to hold whatever you choose to use to stop the ring from turning and 1 to turn the baffle.

I don't know what you have at your disposal as far as tools. If the baffle is difficult to turn, I would not try to turn it by hand without a pair of gloves. Those edges will slice your hand open in a heartbeat. My recommendation would be to wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the small tube and use a pair of adjustable plumbing pliers to grip and turn it. The tape will protect the finish on the tube. But, be careful not to apply too much pressure. You could crush the tube.

-Bob

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The silver plate with the hole in it, at about the 5 o'clock position in the picture, should be behind the dark ring that has the hole at each end. It looks like you can rotate the baffle while holding the ring and it may move into place.

I don't know how wedged it is, but yes some lubricant may help.

To remove the ring, a tool called "snap ring pliers" are used. It has pins that fit into the holes in the ring and either expand or contract it depending on how the ring is used.

I bought this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YYM76/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The last picture shows how the pins fit into the holes. The pliers probably aren't going to help you with this though. You need something to stop the ring from rotating with the baffle as you turn it. You're going to need at least 3 hands: 1 to hold the slip-on, 1 to hold whatever you choose to use to stop the ring from turning and 1 to turn the baffle.

I don't know what you have at your disposal as far as tools. If the baffle is difficult to turn, I would not try to turn it by hand without a pair of gloves. Those edges will slice your hand open in a heartbeat. My recommendation would be to wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the small tube and use a pair of adjustable plumbing pliers to grip and turn it. The tape will protect the finish on the tube. But, be careful not to apply too much pressure. You could crush the tube.

-Bob
I moved the dark ring...I'm not sure if this is what you meant about the position of my silver plate with the hole in it? I don't understand this mechanism enough to understand what it is I just did either :)

My baffle doesn't move much but the dark ring moves fairly easily by pushing it through the hole with a thin screw driver.

To remove the baffle with the pincers you squeeze the ring together?

20181130_191932.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
I moved the dark ring...I'm not sure if this is what you meant about the position of my silver plate with the hole in it? I don't understand this mechanism enough to understand what it is I just did either :)

My baffle doesn't move much but the dark ring moves fairly easily by pushing it through the hole with a thin screw driver.

To remove the baffle with the pincers you squeeze the ring together?

View attachment 37499

Maybe it was an optical illusion for my old eyes.

It looks ok now. Yes, you would squeeze, or compress, the snap ring and remove it. Then the baffle can be removed.

-Bob

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe it was an optical illusion for my old eyes.

It looks ok now. Yes, you would squeeze, or compress, the snap ring and remove it. Then the baffle can be removed.

-Bob
It was no illusion. I pressed the baffle into place. Thanks for your help.

Have you tried yours with and without the baffle?

·
Registered
280 Posts
It was no illusion. I pressed the baffle into place. Thanks for your help.

Have you tried yours with and without the baffle?
Oh, wow. :)

I've only ridden with the baffle in place. The snap ring pliers will be delivered Monday. I like the sound with the baffle in place. It's not the same as the dual exhaust on the ST4s or 900SS I use to have, but it's got a nice sound. To me at least.

-Bob

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hey Armo (if you're reading this thread), you got your ring in place? :angel9:
Weirdly I nearly replied to this thread as I took my ring out but the neighbours asked me to put it back :pain10::pottytrain2: seriously though the baffle that i removed on my zard also felt loose but didn't rattle at all but the noise with only one baffle out was ridiculous so it went straight back in. Plus the circlip was extremely difficult to get at.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So is the general consensus that the baffle in is better and that putting the ring clip back in is a serious pain the rear?

I got the special pliers for it but can return them no prob...I just like to fiddle but not if it will cause me stress putting it back into place :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts