Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying a Scrambler in late August 15 , I won't a Full Throttle ( as I like the black ) But also won't the wire wheels ( Basically I won't the urban enduro in black ) can I order the F/F with no or not much extra cost ( or does anyone in Australia wont to swap thier wire wheels for mag type ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not necessarily. Do it right and folks will like it more if you go to sell it. :) These bikes look incredible in all black, so if/when you do it post up pics!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For sure I will , planning on doing so other mods , basically fitting the urban enduro accessories ( you can buý a black high guard on ebay and other accessories ) also changing suspension - front fork inserts for adjustability and adjustable rear sock, fitting wider pegs from SM-MOTO , small screen , heated grips , hand guards , PRO-TAPPER bars , Vantura pannier racks, rear rack and crash bars when they finish making them ( they have a bike in there factory designing at present ) extra 12 volt socket on bars , maybe an additional volt meter gauge beside other gauge and modding standard seat . ( and performance pipe )Thats all I can think of at present thats alot but you now what they say " boys and their toys " I have already brought a backpack that carries 3 lites bladder of water and 3.5 liter bladder of fuel , giving a tank range of 17 litres.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Scrambler legand In my opinion was the first real adventure bikes to be converted from road based motorcycles to off road big capacity engines. In the 70,s the japs started making big road trail bikes like the XL 500 , and Yamaha,s Xt 500 etc. ( but they were more off road BIG SINGLES ) and not to on road long distance friendly ( Vibie engines etc) then in the 80,s BMW got the adventure bike going with there GS 80 , it was an 800 cc air cooled engine ,not as big as the moden big 1200 GS but still quite a heavy bike. Since then most manufacturers have gone mad with HUGH adventure bikes 1200 GS, Triumph tiger 1200 explorer, Yamaha Tenera 1200, Moto Guzzi 1200 NVX Stervio and KTM 1290 etc , I think you can see were this is going ( all BIG heavy Adventure bikes ) all way to big and tall for any serious adventure riding for the average rider , and to high for alot of female and shorter male riders like myself. Yes there are the mid range adventure bikes starting to make more sence to serious adventure riders ( not the posers that have a 1200 GS all the BMW gear but have never taken it off road - as I say ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA ! , So mid range Adventure bikes like the New 800 GS Triumph 800 XCX - in my option the best all round adventure bike on the market at present, does the twisties very well the bush very well etc , the BMW 650 GS for novice riders or shorter female and male riders ( but no power) I hvae owned a Triumph tiger 955l a Triumph tiger 800 ( the more read version ) it was a low seat high for but didn't handle in the twisties , scrapped the pegs very easy and quite boring . At present I own a Tiger 1050 sport and a Suzuki DRZ 400 for my mad dirt riding ,the Triumph has exelent power handles like rails can go very lite off road ( but is to big and heavy 235 kg with full tank) So were am I going with this reply I think the Scrambler history was to take a street bike beef up the suspension take off all the unnecessary crap so you can go down the road less traveled and enjoy getting there at the same time ! A SMALLER MORE MANAGEABLE BIKE WITH A BIG ENGINE FOR THE FUN FACTOR ! as a wise adventure tourer said NO ONE EVER COMPLAINTS ABOUT SMALLER AND LIGHTER JUST BIGGER AND HEAVYIER!

I think the Ducati Scrambler would make a pretty good adventure tourer, weekend fun bike ,every day commuter, The only downside may be long distance touring on highway and open road strechers comfort wise etc ? Readers of this can you please let me know of any big tour trips away ,and how did you find it

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree with what you've written, Paul, it's just that your list of mods did make it sound like you needed an adv bike!
I had a Tiger 800XC with big ideas of doing some outback touring with a friend in a 4WD, but the family arrived sooner than we expected, so that never happened. I too found the Tiger a little boring, and it was too tall and long for a commuter bike, so it went and I replaced it with a Suzuki DR650, which with road wheels makes a fun commuter. If the Scrambler had been available when I bought the DR, I would have bought the Scrambler instead. The DR can be made into a decent adv bike, and can be lowered for shorter riders. Tons of aftermarket parts for it too.

I just didn't think that the Scrambler is a good base for an adv bike - too close to the ground and fairly firm suspension. But as a fun bike, it probably can't be beaten!
At least we have plenty of options for customising it, and more options arriving every day it seems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree the DR 650 is a great bike and can be made into a fantastic Adventgure bike ( with more off road traveling in mind ) one off the best 50/50 choices , but is the problem does both well but not brilliantly , the Scrambler will not do the realy narley stuff quite as well , but will be a lot more fun getting to the off road trails than the DR 650 , I guess it's what type off extreme off road riding you intend on riding ( full on stuff with lots off open road in between , and a good off road rider and at least 5/7 tall you would be hard pressed to go past the New Triumph 800 XCX ) plenty of power the new gearbox is silkey smooth has criuse control, traction control switchable ABS , great fuel range , comes all kitted out for 20 grand ' ) but for me only 5/5 the scrambler will do the job

1 - 9 of 9 Posts