Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the box, the scrambler comes with Pirelli MT 60 tires front and rear. I'm curious is anyone else is considering a more aggressive dual sport tire, and if so, have you had any luck finding replacements in the stock 110/80R-18 size?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Conti tkc 80 will fit both front (with a rear tyre9 and rear. however the tyre's speed code 58Q (up to 160 km/h) wil not comply with the omologation fiche requirements i.e. 58H (up to 210 km/h). furthermore, no M+S (Mud/Snow) tyre class are mentioned therefore reducing speed code may be allowed during winter season only or forbidden at all (depends by your laws)

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm intending to fit something with a more aggressive pattern for Morocco next year. Although some way off I wouldn't mind fitting a set a few months early to get some off road use first.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was looking into this today. The Conti TKC80 is available in the correct sizes with no need to fit a rear on the front as far as I could see. But their more road biased TKC70 is much more limited and I couldn't see anywhere near suitable sizes.

Apart from road based tyres, I couldn't find ANY other dual sport tyre in the original sizes. Not that there's anything wrong with the OEM MT-60s, but they may not be so easy to get hold of for normal prices.

I also wanted to fit the same tyres onto a bike with 17" wheels and couldn't find anything. Apart from the TKC80, every other tyre I looked at did not have either a suitable front or rear or both (i.e. neither). I ended up thinking of matching an Avon Distanzia front with the Scrambler's MT-60 rear - they look kinda similar. Not ideal but I couldn't see any other option for 17" Fr and Rr..

As far as the Scrambler goes, seems to me it's either stick to the OEM Pirellis or move to the more off-road oriented TKC80 or the other way and fit road tyres.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have since received a reply from Continental that they are expanding the range of the TKC70. They didn't say what new sizes would be included, but they will be updating their fitment chart as the new ones become available.

So TKC70s might soon be an option for the Scrambler.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have since received a reply from Continental that they are expanding the range of the TKC70. They didn't say what new sizes would be included, but they will be updating their fitment chart as the new ones become available.

So TKC70s might soon be an option for the Scrambler.
That pretty awesome news, the TKC 70 looks like a pretty good tire for this application.

But the TKC 70 is kind of expensive - more so than the Pirelli's

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know for sure it will include sizes suitable for the Scrambler, but when I asked why the TKC70 wasn't available in the same range of sizes as the TKC80, he basically said they were expanding it and to watch this space (the fitment chart).

We'll have to see, but it's always good to have more choice.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm not sure the 70 will be any better than the stock Pirelli off road? Compared to the 80, this is a road biased tyre. From what I've found the 80 isn't available in the stock 18" front size, you need to use a rear tyre on the front :-(

·
2,624 Posts
I've had TKC 70 on a 1200 GS, and I thought they were very good, they lasted well too, didn't seem to square off so quickly, maybe they have a different compound in the centre, ?

I fitted the Avon Distanzia tyres to my 1987 800 GS, ( Think front was 21"not sure) they were brilliant for green lane riding , I remember not being to happy with them on the road, only happened a couple of times, could have been the conditions at the time but it did put me off buying them again,

I do think the std tyres will take some beating though,

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ducati purposely made it difficult to have tire choices other than their OEM Pirelli.
And why would that be? I doubt this...

·
Registered
197 Posts
It may be my own imagination, but of the many different dual purpose tire combinations, Ducati chose sizes that were very limited.. Perhaps the Scrambler is really meant for paved roads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The OEM Pirelli are pretty good on the road for me, and they look pretty good too. Where are people finding them lacking, or is it just the spirit of trying something new or feeling that the OEM boots are pricey?

·
Registered
613 Posts
The OEM Pirelli are pretty good on the road for me, and they look pretty good too. Where are people finding them lacking, or is it just the spirit of trying something new or feeling that the OEM boots are pricey?
I think the Pirelli's are absolutely fantastic. I've NEVER seen a tire so good for both light dirt & the street simultaneously.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My only issue with the Pirelli's is the price. I wish i could easily find a cheaper alternative. But i figured, that's part of brand ownership. All that said, I am loving my Scrambler.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am having a really hard time finding the TKC 80 in the 110 80 18 size. Continental website says they make it, I just cant find it on any store.

Would any one have a lead?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts