Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Tuesday I traded my 1100 Sport in on a 2020 KTM Superduke 1290R. I didn't arrive at this decision lightly, after I had spent considerable time (and money) getting my Sport right where I wanted it. There were a few reasons why I made the switch, but probably the two biggest reasons were Ducati's inconsistent response (or lack of ownership) with the piston slap issue on the 1100s, and the service network in the DC area for Ducatis is no longer very robust. On the second point, there's really good KTM support and service in the area, to include upgrades and parts.

I've only put 62 miles on her so far, but I can see why they call this bike The Beast 3.0! It pulls like a train in any gear, and I opted for the Tech Pack which includes the quickshift and it is buttery smooth and real easy to use. The power is awesome, 177hp and 103 TQ and while I am still breaking her in, I did blip it once just to get a glimpse and triple digits arrive almost immediately.

I can't wait to put some more miles on her, but so far I am very impressed. I'd never seriously considered a KTM before only because their styling was a little off putting to me personally, but the 2020 SDR changed my mind!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have no doubt that the new KTM is going to be a lot of fun but it's sad the Scrambler had to go.
I wish you many fun miles on your new beast but with about twice the horsepower that should be no problem at all. The front tire wear will probably be greatly reduced;)
Ride safe and maybe post a picture of your new SuperDuke.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Skippy! Yeah, it was bittersweet letting the Scrambler go. It could've been very different, if the problem would've been addressed when they had it for 60 days. But as they say customers vote with their wallets and feet. I really like the Scrambler still, as well as the Hypermotard 950, and Monster 1200S and I actually considered all of them but just couldn't bring myself to get into bed with Ducati again. Maybe someday in the future, I do still like the brand!

Today I installed the Evotech frame sliders, radiator guard, CRG bar end mirrors and battery tender pigtail. The Evotech tail tidy is on the way, (backordered) as well as the same LED signal pods I had on the Scrambler, so I can't wait to get those installed.

Here she is...

KTM1.jpeg

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's amazing the difference that just bar end mirrors make...

KTM4.jpeg

And the new TFT screen is really nice and the tech is surprisingly easy to use...

KTM5.jpeg

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hahaha, started modding it right away! That's an awesome piece of kit and the electronic safety systems on the KTM's are state of the art. I also like the look of the latest Super Duke better then the previous one mainly because of the looks of the frame. I also really love the original 990 SuperDuke but as it never came with ABS I never could get myself to own one.
After your experience with Ducati it would take a miracle for me to ever considder buying from them again after your experience. All brands have their own problems and issues but it's the way that they solve them that makes the difference.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely agree Skippy. Especially with Ducati being a boutique brand, it shouldn't have been even a discussion.They should just cover all 2018 1100s, and upgrade the cylinder and piston with the revised parts. Stop leaving it up to the dealers to decide if they feel it should be covered. No dealership wants to do warranty work!

TBH, I never thought I'd buy a KTM. I knew they were great bikes, but the styling had always been a little off putting to me personally. I think their motocross DNA was influencing a lot of their street bike designs. But, like you, when I saw the 2020 Superduke R, I was blown away. When I saw one in person, that was it! I too like the 990 Superduke, as well as the RC8.

What do you think your next bike would be?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Absolutely agree Skippy. Especially with Ducati being a boutique brand, it shouldn't have been even a discussion.They should just cover all 2018 1100s, and upgrade the cylinder and piston with the revised parts. Stop leaving it up to the dealers to decide if they feel it should be covered. No dealership wants to do warranty work!

TBH, I never thought I'd buy a KTM. I knew they were great bikes, but the styling had always been a little off putting to me personally. I think their motocross DNA was influencing a lot of their street bike designs. But, like you, when I saw the 2020 Superduke R, I was blown away. When I saw one in person, that was it! I too like the 990 Superduke, as well as the RC8.

What do you think your next bike would be?
I'm still really pleased with the Scrambler but might considder a BMW R nine T Urban GS or a Triumph Speed Twin(hoping they might do a rs version of this with better suspension and radial Brembo's) in a couple of years. Also like the FTR 1200 by Indian but dealers are too far away like with the Ducati. BMW and Triumph are just around the corner wich is a lot more convenient.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still really pleased with the Scrambler but might considder a BMW R nine T Urban GS or a Triumph Speed Twin(hoping they might do a rs version of this with better suspension and radial Brembo's) in a couple of years. Also like the FTR 1200 by Indian but dealers are too far away like with the Ducati. BMW and Triumph are just around the corner wich is a lot more convenient.
I am glad you are still very happy with the Scrambler. If I recall correctly, yours was fixed under warranty, right? That certainly makes all the difference. That issue aside, the Scrambler 1100 is a great bike that doesn't seem to get much love, generally from those who've never even ridden one. It's funny because when I traded mine in, the guy who test rode it said he had no idea how quick and agile they are. Granted mine was far from stock, but still....great platform.

There's an Indian/BMW/Triumph dealership near me and I got to test ride the Speed Twin and the FTR during one of their demo days. The Speed Twin was absolutely fantastic. The 1200 is very stout and while the looks are classic, the performance was impressive! Ease and convenience of service is definitely a justifiable consideration. It's certainly one of the reasons I could never own an Aprilia as much as I like them - there's no reputable place nearby to get them serviced.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am glad you are still very happy with the Scrambler. If I recall correctly, yours was fixed under warranty, right? That certainly makes all the difference. That issue aside, the Scrambler 1100 is a great bike that doesn't seem to get much love, generally from those who've never even ridden one. It's funny because when I traded mine in, the guy who test rode it said he had no idea how quick and agile they are. Granted mine was far from stock, but still....great platform.

There's an Indian/BMW/Triumph dealership near me and I got to test ride the Speed Twin and the FTR during one of their demo days. The Speed Twin was absolutely fantastic. The 1200 is very stout and while the looks are classic, the performance was impressive! Ease and convenience of service is definitely a justifiable consideration. It's certainly one of the reasons I could never own an Aprilia as much as I like them - there's no reputable place nearby to get them serviced.
Yes mine got fixed and the dealer was very coorperative from the start. It used to be their demo and they also thought and admitted right away that it was noisy.
That said, I believe that it probably would have ran for 60000 km without problems if it hadn't been fixed. Main reason I wanted it done was so I wouldn't have problems in the future when I want to sell it or trade it in.

The Triumphs are very cool and sound amazing and from all of them the Speed Twin is the nicest imo. I think the fake carbs and tubed tires on the other models are a step to far for obtaining the retro look, the Speed Twin is just like the Ducati Scrambler a retro looking bike with a modern twist without over doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts