Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an inner rear fender and/or a longer rear fender on the sled yet? The fenders do a poor job of protecting the bike and rider from dirt and mud.

But I'm still having a blast off road and have astonished many riders with the performance of this bike. Can't wait to see how it performs with better gearing and knobbier tires!
IMG_0306.JPG

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hello

I plan to install a Classic rear mudguard. It's longer than the OEM one and will hide the plate support.
A wee heads up for you.
Don't assume that the tubular steel bracket fitted to your Desert Sled will take the alloy mudguard from the Classic. Although they look very similar the mountings to fit the two parts are different between the two models. For a plug and play you will need both upper and and lower parts.

As a side note to help anybody who thinks they are all the same;
  • The Icon, and Urban Enduro has an even shorter rear mudguard than the Desert Sled.
  • The Desert Sled and Classic main tubular steel plate holder are not interchangeable.
  • The Icon etc. low front mudguard does not fit the Sled as the fork legs do not have the mounting brackets required. (the Sled uses a different way to mount the fork protectors)
I'm not saying all mods can't be done but they are not as easy as it may first appear. I have a Classic an Urban Enduro and a Desert Sled here if anybody want a quick reference as to what the differences beteween the models are generally. TBH, even I when standing looking at them thought the tubular parts were the same at the rear, it wasn't until I started the mods that I realised some of the less obvious differences.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello
A wee heads up for you.
Don't assume that the tubular steel bracket fitted to your Desert Sled will take the alloy mudguard from the Classic. Although they look very similar the mountings to fit the two parts are different between the two models
Thanks a lot for this valuable information. I'd measured the tubular steel bracket on my Classic, before selling it and, comparing it to the same part on my new DS, I thought it would accept the Classic mudguard.

As I had created on my Classic a specific part to hide the rear light under the mudguard, if I go for a Classic mudguard on my DS, I will certainly create the same part for my DS.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hello

Thanks a lot for this valuable information. I'd measured the tubular steel bracket on my Classic, before selling it and, comparing it to the same part on my new DS, I thought it would accept the Classic mudguard.

As I had created on my Classic a specific part to hide the rear light under the mudguard, if I go for a Classic mudguard on my DS, I will certainly create the same part for my DS.
They do look very similar, it's where the two halves screw together that's the main difference as the scew holes don't line up, the actual mounting to the sub-frame remains the same. You could overcome this by drilling and or using a small bracket but I only wanted to let you and others know it's not plug and play.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts