Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

It’s a bit cold and gloomy up here so she’s parked for the winter. I’m on Vancouver Island so I could probably get a day or two here and there, but I don’t like Pina Coladas or getting caught in the rain. I don’t really mind as it leaves with a bit time to tinker and I don’t have to feel rushed to get it back together. Plus I have more winter related hobbies that take the front seat this time of year.

When I picked her up last year I immediately removed front and rear fenders, reflectors, relocated the rear signals/plate neatly under the taillight, and swapped out the bars for a set of Renthals. Before this bike I had a few Hypermotards, some Supermotos, and an ill-fated crotch rocket or two so I definitely wasn’t digging the Icon ape hangers. Not to mention they weigh an obscene amount for what they are.

This winter so far has included an SC-Project Low Mount 2-1 exhaust.. which was an absolute pain to acquire since they are now discontinued, and that sucks because it’s one of the best looking ones out there in my opinion. A new leather seat from a semi local seat guy.. basically I bought a stock donor seat, removed the foam and trimmed the pan down to where I wanted it to sit. My goal was to expose rear subframe lines as shown in the couple pics below.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

So I really love the frame rails peaking out below the seat, but the unsightly gap above the side panel was giving me anxiety, I don’t looove the Mugello aluminum style panels, so I figured I’d give my own thing a shot.

So basically I pulled the side panels and tore off that silver plastic strip, made a cardboard template, and transferred that over to a $4.37 peice of 1/8th..ish gloss black ABS. I dumbed the gloss down to a 400grit, epoxied it to the side panel and then used a heat gun to warm it up and gently bend it around the frame rails and give it a bit of a profile. Also had to add a hole to access the original screw for mounting the side panel.

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Anyways, I don’t love it, it’s good from a far but far from good. It’s too bulky and I don’t like the way it hides the frame rails, not to mention fit and finish. For a first attempt it was alright, if I went round two I could definitely do things better, but I think I would prefer to acquire the side panels off of a Nightshift or an Urban Motard. I just like how the panels break up the lines a little bit better, also paintable would be nice.

So on my to-do list for the rest of the winter..

-Acquire some Nightshift side panels, mudflap, and whatever other bits and pieces I need. (If you have some lemme know!)

-Some small round mirrors, maybe undermounted? (Not bar ends though, only because I sneak through the odd tight space in my driveway when it gets crowded)

-Rexxer re-map for sure, maybe an airbox mod? I don’t know how much I care though about the airbox though.

-And finally.. getting rid of the yellow. There’s a few options, none of them are purist Ducati colours, some may even be considered blasphemy.

🤙

· Registered
36 Posts
Looking good. Have you ridden it yet with the slip-on?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking good. Have you ridden it yet with the slip-on?
Thanks! I took it for a quick spin around the block because I needed to know what it sounded like. I was worried it would be too loud for the neighbours but I think it’s well within reason, and it actually sounds like a v-twin now which is great. I’m sure it makes a bit more noise wide open but I’ll wait until it’s tuned before I find that out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts