Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an hour out on the Scrambler Icon demo at my local dealers today. Really impressed with the single front disc (much better than twin set up on my Tiger 800). It also feels a lot more than 100lbs lighter than the Tiger probably due to low CofG v's high CofG. Rear brake just as so-so as the Tiger, the engine is very smooth and eager and I was surprised how quick the revs rose up near 8 through the gears and nudged it up to around 105mph (felt the cold at that point). Had a few missed gears on downshifts but could be my lazy foot, while on the gearbox I noticed finding neutral on a new Ducati box is a little tricky if not used to it. I finally found nudging down into neutral from 2nd was the only way I could do it
It looks beautiful and turned heads everywhere there were people present, the switchgear was alien to me so I inadvertantly put it on high beam and didnt know how to turn it off (dealer put me right afterwards).
Ok, now the real negative bit (for me anyway), I normally have my bike suspension (where adjustable) on the softer side (I weigh160lbs) but I found both front and rear way too soft for anything other than town riding or tootling along at around 50 to 60. I always give any bike a ride along the same twisty sometimes bumpy 'B' road and this was no different. As it is too soft the bike never settles properly as you turn it in, also you cant take advantage of the awesome front stopper. That said, the steering is far quicker than my Tiger so maybe I was putting too much input into the bars which may have added to the unsettled feel in the turns also the road surface was greasy and that didn't help with confidence.
For me the shopping list 1st would be heavier sprung front springs or thicker oil and stick some spacers in to preload them and 2nd would be a better rear shock but we then start taking the bike into a higher price bracket.
Decision time tonight, my Tiger is an all day comfy mile muncher that is fast reliable what my head wants but no looker and the Scrambler is gorgeous looking, goes good, super light and what my heart wants but is hamstrung by the suspension!
Help!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Easy, and one you've already answered yourself. Buy a Scrambler and spend a couple of hundred playing with the suspension, then you have the perfect bike! ;-) I had a VFR750 once, brilliant bike, but no soul, I swapped it for a Ducati 500 Pantah and have never looked back :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
The OP sounds like he knows what he's doing, yes a new rear shock and a re-valve at the front end will be expensive, but a change of spring preload and oil is a cheap option to try first. We're not talking about a high end sportsbike, so the front end hasn't got to be top spec. Most reports I've seen think the front is too hard, maybe lighter oil would give a better feel to them?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Think I'll be doing 4 or 5 hundred miles before I change anything mk3, I know when I had the test ride I never bothered to check tyre pressures, which I would do on my bike at least every week, You never know the tyres could have had too much air in, :rolleyes: or not enough,

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The OP sounds like he knows what he's doing, yes a new rear shock and a re-valve at the front end will be expensive, but a change of spring preload and oil is a cheap option to try first. We're not talking about a high end sportsbike, so the front end hasn't got to be top spec. Most reports I've seen think the front is too hard, maybe lighter oil would give a better feel to them?
front end is harsh damping wise, I defo thought forks too soft but damping not right which probably causes the harsh ride over successive poor road bumps, or so I felt.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think I'll be doing 4 or 5 hundred miles before I change anything mk3, I know when I had the test ride I never bothered to check tyre pressures, which I would do on my bike at least every week, You never know the tyres could have had too much air in, :rolleyes: or not enough,
You are right, you can only get so much done in a quick demo ride, once you get it home and check it over properly and then put the miles on it and you will know what needs done where.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
I am sure that they had to skimp on the suspension a little to hit the price point that they did. I am sure that it is hard to walk that line of making customers happy with both the equipment and the price tag.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Of course the price affects the spec, but let's face it the scrambler is good value for the money :upyeah:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hard to believe Ducati made a bike with soft suspension. It's probably okay fine on this bike, though. I have softened my MTS because most of the time I'm not going 100+ and don't like the sore butt after an hour on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts