Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key keeps getting stuck in the under seat lock. Very frustrating. Anyone else? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine a lil too but a lil wiggle of the key gets it loose
My dealer couldn't get it out for five minutes at delivery time. Embarassing. Now, I have to wiggle (hard) two to three minutes... I don't want to break the key off under there. Seems like a very poor design. What with the dirt and mud under the fender - why put a lockset there?

·
Registered
941 Posts
My dealer couldn't get it out for five minutes at delivery time. Embarassing. Now, I have to wiggle (hard) two to three minutes... I don't want to break the key off under there. Seems like a very poor design. What with the dirt and mud under the fender - why put a lockset there?
I know...I thought it a poor location too

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think there was a lot of oversight on "where does mud really get flung?" on this bike. I'm considering trying to retrofit my scrambler with some other way to release the seat. Push button or pull cable. I'm only storing my sunglasses under the seat anyway.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think there was a lot of oversight on "where does mud really get flung?" on this bike. I'm considering trying to retrofit my scrambler with some other way to release the seat. Push button or pull cable. I'm only storing my sunglasses under the seat anyway.
The thought of a pull cable hidden from view has been on my mind too

·
Registered
619 Posts
THis happened to me on my KTM I ended up breaking off the key after some time and having to get another one made .

·
Registered
965 Posts
I would try a bit of dry lock graphite on the key then insert it a few times. Dry lock lubricant unlike something like WD-40 won't attract grime in the mechanism, as well as someone mentioned a quick piece of duct tape placed over the keyhole for me would be preferred to electrical tape and it's stronger but still removable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are all great suggestions, and I will try them. But, really, my problem occurred with a pristine 0 mile Scrambler. They have a problem. And it should be remedied under warranty. Ducati, are you listening?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had this problem on my '07 ducati gt1000 if the key is slightly bent. If you bend key slightly in opposite direction it is bent it comes out. Be very careful.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi,
I know it's not lock related but picking up a scrambler tomorrow and need to know how many keys I should receive, 2 or 3?
Thanks in advance
Tim

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been using a piece of mailing string and it works perfectly to get the seat open with no key. I put black tape over the keyed portion inside the fender. I'm thinking of a permanent retrofit but the string is working fine for now. It saves me time when I get off of the bike and have to swap my sunglasses for my normal glasses.

·
Registered
174 Posts
old thread but i used some hillmans dry lock graphite lubricant (tried to spray a bunch on the key and then insert it since the seat lock is upside down) and while not perfect, i can definitely insert the key in and out a lot easier now!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts