Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Scrambler test ride and impressions:

Walking up to the bike it seems very small compared to my Triumph Scrambler. It looks way better in person than any of the photos. The bike is very narrow with only the bars being wider than the swingarm. Seat height was just right for my 32” inseam and I could easily sit flat footed. The reach to the bars was comfortable for me at 5' 11”. Coming off my 500 lb bike and flicking the 400 lb Duc side to side, it felt like a moped. Wow, what a difference. The bars are the perfect height as a compromise between sitting on the seat and standing on the pegs. Overall, it fit like a glove. The bar to seat to peg ration was great with an upright seating position. The seat was fairly comfortable though it did tilt you forward slightly which could get the “boys” in trouble under certain circumstances. Clutch pull was light and easy with smooth engagement and the levers are adjustable. The motor fired right up and settled into the typical Ducati staccato, a subdued but throaty sound. Shifting into first was just a light click as were all other gears. The engine is really sweet with torque right from the bottom. I would still put a 14T sprocket on it for dirt trails. Since it had no miles on it I couldn't really wind it up but it pulled so well to 5000 rpm that I can only imagine what it will feel and sound like when you take it up to redline. Handling was intuitive. You could think your way into the turns with no effort and it felt like it was on rails. The 18” front tire allowed quick turn in but tire selection for knobbie may be limited. I run TKC80's on my Triumph but Continental doesn't offer an 18” front tire (yet). The front brake is two fingers with excellent feedback. The rear is better than expected. The suspension is firm but compliant. I don't know how it was set up from the factory but it was damn close to perfect for my 175 lb body. The speedo was really cool with all the information you could need. It looks like something off the Enterprise on Star Trek. The LED around the headlight is way cool. Ducati hit a home run with this bike. The test ride was fantastic......Too bad it's only in my imagination so I'll have to wait until March like the rest of you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Geez melo,,,i almost pissed my pants thinking you got a ride on one,,,,,i get to see it mid november at the IMS in los angeles,,hopefully Ducati will have test rides available but i won't hold my breath,,,i'll at least get to sit on it and check it out,,,,i'll post my thoughts if someone doesn't post a handson review before me,,,,

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'll admit I read the second post before reading your review... so I knew it was a hoax. Even still, you got my imagination going with that ride report. Can't wait to sit on one in person at the IMS show end of this month

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well looks like you'll beat me to the punch by a couple weeks on the sit on review,,, hey if we're really lucky Ducati will have a cone track in the back parking lot for rides,,, I've seen several manufacturers do that,,, maybe the planets will align and we'll get to putt one around

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice dream ride. Probably pretty close to what it will be like.

Hm. Weight loss for the UE? An Akrapovic and you lose about 2.2 lbs. With a Shorai battery you lose another 5 lbs. What about Pro Taper handlebars over the steel stock ones? And Monster Parts will offer a lighter tidy tail. Other ideas?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Seven pounds off going to a high quality 520 chain and sprockets ,,and I think way more with the exhaust 12-15 lbs,,,, smog delete 3-4 lbs,,, change out steel hardware with Ti 3-4 lbs crop tail 1 lb ,,, all the reflectors and lose the canoe paddle mirrors and micro LED turn sigs

·
Registered
127 Posts
3-4 lbs for the mirrors ,,,, I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but I think a 25-30 lb loss is not out of the question,,, and I'm being very conservative on the exhaust numbers and will probably be in the 20-25 pound loss alone,,, I lost 26 lbs on a Beemer I did just with the Ti ztechnik I put on it,,, it was so light when I got the delivery I thought they forgot to put it in the box,,, battery 4 lbs maybe more,,,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sicass Racing mirrors work and weigh very little. They also have independent mounts. The stock mirrors are anchored in the brake and clutch castings. If you tip over you could break the castings which would leave you SOL. Sicass Racing also has a very cool sub fender for the KTM 500 EXC which could be modified for the Scrambler. It would drop another 2 lbs at least. The Shorai battery is a must and drops 5 lbs. The Akrapovic slip on will not drop significant pounds off. For a full system you would need to remap the ECU. Not sure if alternative maps for ignition curves and jetting are available. What is available, guys?

·
Registered
127 Posts
All the maps will be available once models can be measured and testing done,,, oh and I forgot about the abs,,, another 6-10 pounds I'm sure when that goes ,,, this is going to be great fun I can tell,, so I think being very conservative,,, the numbers will fall in the 40 lb + range,,, plus a bump in power and torque it's really going to be a nice bike ,, lol who puts abs on a dirt bike?

·
Registered
72 Posts
BMW for one put ABS on dirt bikes. It is switchable so you can turn it off and steer with the rear wheel. If the Ducati isn't switchable it may be hard wired into the ECU. That would be a problem for hard core dirt enthusiasts such as myself. Can you turn it off?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh it'll be leaving on mine,,,, when I ordered my r1150r it was without abs,,, and I certainly don't want it on this one ,,, but that's for me to sort out,,, I don't want my machine telling me what to do,,, I kinda like it the other way around

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been riding since my teens to being an old fart without ABS and just put a deposit on an Icon Red. The deal maker for me was that ABS is standard. I once saw a BMW motorcycle demo with out rigger small wheels on wet and dry pavement stopping from about 50 MPH. Jamming on the brakes without the ABS turned on, the bike bounced from side to side and would have been dumped if not for the out rigger wheels. :eek: Doing the same demo with ABS turned on, the bike stopped in a straight controlled manner. That sold me on ABS. My Ducati dealer did not know if the ABS can be turned off for dirt riding. I hope so, but either way it is not a deal killer for me .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts