Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I'm Nacho, from Spain. I actually own a KTM 1090 Adventure and I recently bought a Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 for my wife. The thing is that it's my first Ducati at home but it makes a strange noise at 4000 rpm approximately, but only while riding.
I recorded an audio having my phone inside a pocket. The strange sound I meant you can clearly hear it at 00:25 and 00:37
Any help will be appreciated.
And sorry if my spelling is not very good.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
If it is in warranty definitely point it out to your dealer. I'd look at easy stuff first: drive sprocket and chain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is definitely not normal but does not sound as a defect of the engine or transmission. Sounds to me also like a resonance of a piece of metal - maybed some screws are not totally fixed or teh fitting of the part does not match. I would contact the dealer if you cannot locate it. Very difficult to locate it when it only appears during riding.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
It definitely sounds like something's come loose and is vibrating. I had this on an old bike once and it turned out to be the metal number plate resonating again the number plate holder at certain RPMs. It might not be a serious issue but take it to a garage and have it looked at as soon as you can just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same thing on my wife’s sixty2.
After a lot of checking the screws, parts for clearance or vibration I found out that the harmonic around 4000 revs is coming from inside the cat converter. It definitely changes the noise if you find the right spot on the cat converter and press against it. In our case it was The left side of the box, lower down but Still vertical wall.
Ducati dealer here in Auckland, New Zealand has flat refused to even entertain contacting Ducati as a warranty claim, pointing out that Ducati is likely to refuse it as there were two scratches on the cosmetic plate covering the end part of the exhaust. He claimed Ducati would threat that as damage through fall (they were small scratches on cosmetic cover, screwed onto the exhaust, which in no way could affect internal cat becoming loose from the skin of exhaust box on the inside). I could not be fussed fighting the dealer and Ducati on this as I am planning to replace her exhaust anyway...

hopeour experience helps you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the same thing on my wife’s sixty2.
After a lot of checking the screws, parts for clearance or vibration I found out that the harmonic around 4000 revs is coming from inside the cat converter.
A few people reported the same problem, Ducati always refuse to investigate, check out this thread:

Let me guess, your wife's Sixty2 is a 2016 model assembled in Thailand? :)

(BTW the OP problem doesn't sound like a resonance, I'd check all screws/bolts/springs/everything by tapping them gently, especially the foot pegs and parts near/under the exhaust cover)

Valentin

·
Registered
69 Posts
as I am planning to replace her exhaust anyway...
Avoid Termignoni at all costs or you will get into similar or worse issues. I had mine replaced 3 (three) times under warranty, internal weldings failing after ~1000km due to a well documented design/manufacturing defect.

Valentin

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is definitely not normal but does not sound as a defect of the engine or transmission. Sounds to me also like a resonance of a piece of metal - maybed some screws are not totally fixed or teh fitting of the part does not match. I would contact the dealer if you cannot locate it. Very difficult to locate it when it only appears during riding.

Good luck!
Yes, I agree 100% it is some kind of loose screw or metal or part of the exhaust system. I have the same exact bike and it does not sound anything like that.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Are they not all assembled in Thailand? / Did it change with certain years?
Yours probably will be, as is mine. As far as I know AU bikes are now all assembled in Thailand. Northern Hemisphere probably still Italy. I'm not sure if it's actually that big an issue though? Certainly I've had mine from new (a 2015 Icon) and it hasn't missed a beat (clutch issue aside but the more I think about it the more I think that was me!)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, it's pretty obvious there is an issue with the stock cat on some Sixty2s, probably a defective batch, but without any cooperation from concerned owners, I gave up trying to escalate the issue (and got into worse problems with Termignoni but it's another story) 😓
I've seen that issue on 2 different bikes, both 2016 models assembled in Thailand, batch numbers 1183 and 1202.
Would affected owners mind sharing their batch numbers on this thread? (or VIN number by private message)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Well, it's pretty obvious there is an issue with the stock cat on some Sixty2s, probably a defective batch, but without any cooperation from concerned owners, I gave up trying to escalate the issue (and got into worse problems with Termignoni but it's another story) 😓
I've seen that issue on 2 different bikes, both 2016 models assembled in Thailand, batch numbers 1183 and 1202.
Would affected owners mind sharing their batch numbers on this thread? (or VIN number by private message)
Sorry – I wasn't saying you didn't have an issue, just that based on x2 examples from Thailand doesn't go far enough for me to suggest there's an issue with bikes specifically bolted together in Thailand.

·
Registered
69 Posts
just that based on x2 examples from Thailand doesn't go far enough for me to suggest there's an issue with bikes specifically bolted together in Thailand.
That's why I'm trying to find a common point between all the affected bikes, which could (should!) highlight an issue with a specific batch.
Problem is on 10 other affected owners, NONE of them dare to check their VIN number. 🙁

·
Registered
14 Posts
It could be the springs that connect the exhaust pipe sections vibrating on the pipes. I put silicone tubing over my springs and it worked great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It could be the springs that connect the exhaust pipe sections vibrating on the pipes. I put silicone tubing over my springs and it worked great.
Nope, it is the first thing I tried... The Sixty2 have a specific exhaust routing, and a specific catalytic converter, with one pipe going under the seat, in a much cooler setup for the driver right leg.. Not the same bike ;-)
The kind of harmonic sound produced (a fainted "woooo woooooooo") is very likely to come from exhaust gas resonating in the honeycomb material or internal shields of the catalytic converter. In my case a random issue therefore very difficult to record/reproduce, and really annoying as it usually happened at city speed (45-50km/h).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts