Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Goodmorning! So I bounced around on my Sled today and when I was washing the mud off I noticed a large machined hole in my swing arm just in front of the rear tyre. I don't remember seeing it like this before but I cannot for the life of me remember what it looked like. I presume there is some sort of cover which has fallen off. Would some kind sledder out there post the same picture with whatever is meant to be there in place so I can order a replacement. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
That hole in the casting?

Most likely required for manufacturing process.
I would suggest a rubber plug should go in it but you need venting too.
Check to see if other drain holes exist lower so that water and mud can run out.

I'll check mine out soon.
From one Old Man to another bro.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gentlemen! I have now found an identical plug on the opposite side of the swing arm (that is forward of the wheel) and so I have taken that one to plug the swing arm against mud, stones and crap thrown up by the wheel whilst I try to buy a replacement. Took me ages to get the pebbles out of the swing arm and had to take the wheel off to do it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh Wow! That's a lot of work to dig out all that junk.
Sorry to hear brother.

I hope you enjoy your bike.

How many miles or Kilometers do you have on this Sled?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Wow! That's a lot of work to dig out all that junk.
Sorry to hear brother.

I hope you enjoy your bike.

How many miles or Kilometers do you have on this Sled?
Hi Ken, 13000 going on 14 now. Just spent 5, yes 5 hours changing the air filter. The sled's raised front mudguard causes problems and in the finish even the crash bars had to come off including the big torqued up main engine support bolt! Cheers!

·
Registered
44 Posts
5 hours!!!
Do you think a dealer would charge for all those hours?

I known the desmo service is costly but egads!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah! So people do read these posts? Well here is a story. My bike clocked up 10 months and 12,000 km two months ago so I booked it in for both the 1 year and 12k service in Spain. I purchased an extended 4 year warranty so the service stamps are important to me. I told them I had never felt the ABS come on and they promised to road test the bike. I also put very small pieces of masking tape on the valve covers, the tank and the air box. When I picked the bike up the chain had not been cleaned, greased or adjusted, the air box had not been opened, the valves had not been looked at. Also the bike's odo was at the same km so it had not been roadtested. They charged me for the standard Ducati service time and off I went. There is some question over whether the air filter is a 1 year or 2 year item but I live off road in rural Spain so lots of dust here and it certianly needed a clean when I got it out. It took me so long because I had to make up tools to get in to the small tork screws and they were all red locktited in. As to the garage not doing the service right I could have shouted at them but there is nowhere else to go, I travel 350 km round trip to this one as it is. I need them for the stuff I cannot do but it is a rip off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very sorry that you must reply on an unreliable mechanic.

I would not trust my life to liar.

Look for an independent who has excellent reviews and history.

Or buy a Japanese built bike you can truly rely on and fix yourself.

I bought a 1997 Harley Low Rider to customize because I wanted the EVO motor. Allowed the local dealership to do a service and add some nice items to it and they totally ripped me off.

I had to take it to an independent mechanic and he did outstanding repairs to the work that HD dealership had done.

Never going back to the dealership, they can't be trusted.

I feel your pain.

Sorry this occurred.

KC

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ah! So people do read these posts? Well here is a story. My bike clocked up 10 months and 12,000 km two months ago so I booked it in for both the 1 year and 12k service in Spain. I purchased an extended 4 year warranty so the service stamps are important to me. I told them I had never felt the ABS come on and they promised to road test the bike. I also put very small pieces of masking tape on the valve covers, the tank and the air box. When I picked the bike up the chain had not been cleaned, greased or adjusted, the air box had not been opened, the valves had not been looked at. Also the bike's odo was at the same km so it had not been roadtested. They charged me for the standard Ducati service time and off I went. There is some question over whether the air filter is a 1 year or 2 year item but I live off road in rural Spain so lots of dust here and it certianly needed a clean when I got it out. It took me so long because I had to make up tools to get in to the small tork screws and they were all red locktited in. As to the garage not doing the service right I could have shouted at them but there is nowhere else to go, I travel 350 km round trip to this one as it is. I need them for the stuff I cannot do but it is a rip off.
My father always tells me a similar story of our local Toyota dealer that claims to run a full inspection and tire rotation with service. He marked one of the wheels, after picking up the car noticed they had not been rotated. It really makes you question the rest of the quality of their service, what else did they not perform that they invoiced you for?

They should be able to give you a print out with the valve service with all the measurements! If they charged you for a valve check and the masking tape shows it was never opened I would raise hell. It really needs to be something to get the service manager involved with before you leave the dealer and call Ducati corporate, it might be too late now. If they have scammed you for sure they have scammed other people. You're paying them for service, they're not doing you a favor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Ken, 13000 going on 14 now. Just spent 5, yes 5 hours changing the air filter. The sled's raised front mudguard causes problems and in the finish even the crash bars had to come off including the big torqued up main engine support bolt! Cheers!
I agree. A very poor design that discourages servicing. Small note,,, I glued together all the little spacers that hold the fender to make fender removal and replacement a little easier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nothing to see until I remove the fender again, but basically I just glued all the washers and spacers into the fender so I don't have to manage keeping them all in place while I install the 4 bolts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts