Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a new gold chain and sprockets as my original one is goosed, any advice will be welcome on where to buy from, brand,, best way to fit etc.
Also does anyone ride with a chain that has a split link?

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I wonder if that screw link won’t scratch up the tunnel in the swingarm... (kind of protrudes, I have one on my DR650...)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I usually just buy kits off eBay to save some hassle. had a D.I.D chain on my last Scrambler, highly recommend. Looked great and after initial stretch during the first week of use, never needed adjustment in the next 2000 miles until I sold the bike.
I'd never use a split link on a bigger bike, felt nervous enough about one on the 125. Not sure if they even do them in our size?

Gold DID chain & steel sprocket kit - £85
Gold DID chain & Renthal ally sprocket kit - £129

Fairly low power of the Scrambler (aint no Panigale) means I had no worries using an aluminium sprocket. Felt MUCH lighter in the hand, 66% according to them. Rotating mass weight savings are big savings!
Also... looks verrrry pretty and you get two big Renthal stickers for your toolbox...

I plan to lengthen the gearing very soon. Standard it is too short. So I've got the following bookmarked ready when I wanna spend. £101 in total, not sure why the combined kit costs more. Saving buys you a rivet tool at least. I did check with the seller of the combined kit, they will send you any length of chain and size sprocket you ask them to when buying.

- 44 Tooth Rear Renthal Sprocket - £34 - standard 899 Panigale size I think. Drops motorway cruising to below 6k rpm and needs less gear changes around town.
- Renthal Front Sprocket standard size - £20
- DID VX2 520 Gold chain - £47 - 102 links instead of standard 104. Losing two teeth meant I was way back on the adjusters last time. Wasn't an issue because the chain didn't stretch but didn't have much adjustment left if it did. Checked my old photos, loads of adjustment the other way to fit the 102 link.

- Front Sprocket retainer - £6 - as we've all read, very important it seems!

Last time I bought one of the combined kits above, it came with a chain riveting tool to fasten the new link in. You'll need an angle grinder to shave off the rivets on the old chains rivet link. Or as I did last time... just grind through one of the links to cut it off.

Cheap riveting kit - £18
Less cheap riveting tool - £34

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually just buy kits off eBay to save some hassle. had a D.I.D chain on my last Scrambler, highly recommend. Looked great and after initial stretch during the first week of use, never needed adjustment in the next 2000 miles until I sold the bike.
I'd never use a split link on a bigger bike, felt nervous enough about one on the 125. Not sure if they even do them in our size?

Gold DID chain & steel sprocket kit - £85
Gold DID chain & Renthal ally sprocket kit - £129

Fairly low power of the Scrambler (aint no Panigale) means I had no worries using an aluminium sprocket. Felt MUCH lighter in the hand, 66% according to them. Rotating mass weight savings are big savings!
Also... looks verrrry pretty and you get two big Renthal stickers for your toolbox...

I plan to lengthen the gearing very soon. Standard it is too short. So I've got the following bookmarked ready when I wanna spend. £101 in total, not sure why the combined kit costs more. Saving buys you a rivet tool at least. I did check with the seller of the combined kit, they will send you any length of chain and size sprocket you ask them to when buying.

- 44 Tooth Rear Renthal Sprocket - £34 - standard 899 Panigale size I think. Drops motorway cruising to below 6k rpm and needs less gear changes around town.
- Renthal Front Sprocket standard size - £20
- DID VX2 520 Gold chain - £47 - 102 links instead of standard 104. Losing two teeth meant I was way back on the adjusters last time. Wasn't an issue because the chain didn't stretch but didn't have much adjustment left if it did. Checked my old photos, loads of adjustment the other way to fit the 102 link.

- Front Sprocket retainer - £6 - as we've all read, very important it seems!

Last time I bought one of the combined kits above, it came with a chain riveting tool to fasten the new link in. You'll need an angle grinder to shave off the rivets on the old chains rivet link. Or as I did last time... just grind through one of the links to cut it off.

Cheap riveting kit - £18
Less cheap riveting tool - £34
Thanks Josh

As always top bit of info, £101 is pretty good with Renthals :eagerness: Is the speedo still accurate with changing the gearing?

Cheers for that
Armo

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks Josh

As always top bit of info, £101 is pretty good with Renthals :eagerness: Is the speedo still accurate with changing the gearing?

Cheers for that
Armo

No worries! I didn’t notice any change in the speedo readout. I think it figures that out using the ABS sensors so wouldn't be affected but I could be wrong.
Discussing changing wheel size on the front it was mentioned as a side effect, which makes me more confident it’s not just done via the gearbox.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries! I didn’t notice any change in the speedo readout. I think it figures that out using the ABS sensors so wouldn't be affected but I could be wrong.
Discussing changing wheel size on the front it was mentioned as a side effect, which makes me more confident it’s not just done via the gearbox.
Think I'm going to go the same route as you, will that rear sprocket defo fit? Also still unsure which tool to go for, the PBR looks the best but expensive.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Think I'm going to go the same route as you, will that rear sprocket defo fit? Also still unsure which tool to go for, the PBR looks the best but expensive.
Confident the rear sprocket will fit. Exactly the same one I bought last time.

I’m not sure what to do tool-wise either. The last kit came with a basic little riveter tool. Wish I’d kept track of it...

B49FE959-D19D-4F2C-A7E1-6F667482C2E9.jpeg

CCD4D05F-7487-4E23-B7C1-F9543781E4A0.jpeg

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Confident the rear sprocket will fit. Exactly the same one I bought last time.

I’m not sure what to do tool-wise either. The last kit came with a basic little riveter tool. Wish I’d kept track of it...

View attachment 40009

View attachment 40011
Looks cool! I'm defo going that route. All tools get varied reviews but mainly bad on cheap Ebay ones, the only one with great reviews is the PBR but not not cheap at £80.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Looks cool! I'm defo going that route. All tools get varied reviews but mainly bad on cheap Ebay ones, the only one with great reviews is the PBR but not not cheap at £80.
The one that came with it last time was a cheap as chips bit of Chinese guff but it did the job... think I might risk a cheaper kit, not like it’s something I have to do regularly.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The one that came with it last time was a cheap as chips bit of Chinese guff but it did the job... think I might risk a cheaper kit, not like it’s something I have to do regularly.
True, I'll probably only use it a couple of times, I suppose if you grind off the old chain a cheap one might be suffice.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ended up buying the PBR for £74.99 delivered, shame you don't live near you could have borrowed it.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Looking at buying a new gold chain and sprockets as my original one is goosed, any advice will be welcome on where to buy from, brand,, best way to fit etc.
Also does anyone ride with a chain that has a split link?
Just asking, how many miles do you have on your first chain?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ended up buying the PBR for £74.99 delivered, shame you don't live near you could have borrowed it.
Leeds ain't a million miles away, could always ride up sometime and buy you a Coffee at Jemspeed as a thank you...? There's a lovely bit of road from Huddersfield, through Holme to the Woodhead pass! Can't wait to do that route again on the Scrambler. Didn't leave second gear on the Hyper haha

Just asking, how many miles do you have on your first chain?
I got 5000 miles on the Ducati chain. Abused it though, rode year round as a commuter and didn't realise the value of cleaning then, mainly just added more lube as and when.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Leeds ain't a million miles away, could always ride up sometime and buy you a Coffee at Jemspeed as a thank you...? There's a lovely bit of road from Huddersfield, through Holme to the Woodhead pass! Can't wait to do that route again on the Scrambler. Didn't leave second gear on the Hyper haha

I got 5000 miles on the Ducati chain. Abused it though, rode year round as a commuter and didn't realise the value of cleaning then, mainly just added more lube as and when.
Well the offers there but I suppose you'd have to bring your chain and do it at mine?
Went to jems speed shop last week , best burger I've ever had, and a great experience!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts