Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Need Advice, New Rider...is it for me?

7K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Deano968 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice to see if street bikes are for me. After visiting the Ducati factory in Italy this summer, my list for Ducati has began.

I am new to riding this year as I bought a dirtbike this summer I have been riding and since purchased a small 2019 Honda monkey 125 to get into some moderate street riding. I took the motorcycle class here and felt comfortable on the 200 size street bike I rode during the class.

I plan mainly to hang around town and ride, I don’t like to go fast but I do love nice machinery which is why I was attracted to motorcycles. Haven’t done any highway riding but not anxious to do so. No plans for long distance riding at this time either.

So, debating if I should be getting a Icon 800? Love the looks, love the idea but have to wonder if it makes sense. Maybe with the bigger bike I will feel more comfortable to go a little faster and ride highways, right now I’m unsure.

I purchased a 2018 classic but have not yet taken delivery, not sure what options I have at this point but thought I would get some advice.

#2 ·
The 800 it's a Big engine ir you don't like to ride 120mph or more better go for the 400 it's lighter and an awsome ride. Great for highway at normal speeds and it's a more forgiving engine that doesnt requiere so much stuff for mantenaince and repairs.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 mediante Tapatalk

#6 ·
If you are physically strong enough that the 190kg or there abouts weight if the Scrambler is not a problem then the bike is relatively easy to ride and a good all round option for the type of riding that you say you will do and also for the type of riding that you will want to do once you get or experience or meet some riding buddies or both.
The clutch is a little snatchy when cold.
Finding neutral can be a little difficult when cold.
The bike does put out a lot of heat in urban riding situations.
Other than that they are a fun and easy bike to ride and if you are reasonably confident you will adapt to it fairly quickly.
You do not need to ride at 120mph to own a Scrambler. That frankly was a silly suggestion.
It sounds to me that you are having a little buyers remorse and nothing anybody can write here will be able to help with that. You just need to weigh up your experience so far, your intended use, your ability finance the purchase and whether all those things truly align for you. If they do go for it. If they don’t there is no issues with you backing out now and waiting a little longer.

#7 ·
It's an awsome bike I would never say something different I own the desert sled 800 and I love it. But you can go for the scrambler sixty 2 400cc and would be cheaper. ir you can the scrambler in any of their variations it's awsome. Great bike, looks súper cool and it's easy and fun to ride

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 mediante Tapatalk

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
From memory the difference in weight between the 400s and the 800s is negligible. I'm a 'returning' biker so I kinda get you but seriously as K1W1 says above, it's an easy bike to ride. It's not scary powerful; the riding position sits you upright, giving you good visibility and a relaxed riding position; It's light enough to maneuver for most people; I love the modern-retro styling too. I do a lot of pottering around the city 'burbs (Sydney) with the odd, say monthly, blast into a national park. I've done fairly long camping trips (though I can count these on one hand). I don't even experience any of the 'characteristics' K1W1 mentioned aside from the heat output, which with proper riding jeans and little forward momentum isn't that big a deal. Only you know at the end of the day though mate ;)

#23 ·
My Honda Wave did me just fine but I would rock the hell out of that bike on the streets of Vietnam if I went back there!

Reactions: JeffGyro
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.