Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i get some opinions?
- I just had my 12,000 km Service done everything was ok. Now a month later my clutch went again, it had already been replaced as defective back at 6000km under warranty. Now the dealership said the cylinder seals are leaking and causing oil consumption which caused 2nd clutch to wear prematurely. They sent me the estimate below. Please have a look.
- i have 2 questions: why aren't they replacing the cylinder seals so as to prevent this problem in future & isn't defective cylinders/seals covered by warranty?
*This Ducati Scrambler is only 1 year old, 19,000km bought last June 2017, and has a 2 year warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm replying to offer my 2 cents on the bottom half of that invoice with regards to your brake pulsing...

Is it pulsing at low speed? This is what I had...

1) Clean the rotor buttons (if not sure how to do so, let me know)
2) Physically take off the front brake caliper (carefully so as to not agitate the brake line), remove brake pads, clean the s*** out of the pistons while manipulating them with your hands, in other words, push one in, clean the other, push clean one in, clean the other while carefully manipulating the brake lever...once clean, put brake pads back in...pump the brake a few times to get it stiff...run the bike around in a safe place slowly, doing start/stops for a few minutes while getting the brake to work properly again...

If this doesn't solve your pulsing, then maybe look into that front rotor being replaced, but the front rotor is movable...so if a button is stuck...it will appear that it's warped. Also, if you're going to spend that kind of money on the rotor, you might as well get an aftermarket option, unless warranty covers all this?

You have 19,000 km on the bike...I'd clean the brakes etc...maybe even bleed the lines...you can tell by the color of the rear brake reservoir...if it's kinda orange...might be time to bleed with fresh fluid.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I would be asking for everything under warantee - but they may say brakes and clutch are wear parts and want to not pay... I would push and ask for a contribution from Ducati as a worse case.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Just asking, your dealer suggest the oil consumption has caused your clutch to wear prematurely? How low did you let the oil level go before refilling?

Still, oil consumption should be negligible on these engines.

Re the brakes, I got no idea how bad it is. Mine did the same at 3000 miles. I replaced the pads with EBC HH pads, and the problem has gone away. Strange but true. I'm at 5200 miles at the moment and brakes are perfect!

Anyway, as Simon Audi suggested, claim everything under warranty

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Can't comment re. the clutch, but I had two brake discs (rotors) replaced under warranty for the same brake pulsing you describe. I'm not sure that the problem isn't recurring again now but if it does, bike is out of warranty so I will be replacing with something different

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Can't comment re. the clutch, but I had two brake discs (rotors) replaced under warranty for the same brake pulsing you describe. I'm not sure that the problem isn't recurring again now but if it does, bike is out of warranty so I will be replacing with something different
Replacing Bike or front disc?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Taking it into the dealership with a low oil level will not have helped your cause. It gives them an excuse to negate warranty based on the owner not keeping the oil level correct.
You should always check and adjust things like oil and brake fluid, chain tension and tyre pressures before you take any bike to a dealership for warranty service. If it is burning oil take it in with a full level but tell them you have had to add x litres in the last y km.
I would be arguing that it should be warranty and also that the seal failure may have been the cause of both the original clutch failure AND the oil consumption issue.
Warped front rotors seems to be a bit of a Scrambler trait. Maybe do some research on forums and the Internet generally and take in a pile of printed posts from other people who have had the issue to show that you are not the only one.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Which seal are we talking about anyway?

When I read it I thought it was the piston rings...

The description on the dealer sheet is vague. I was thinking valve stem seals otherwise they should have said oil ring. That could account for oil on top of the pistons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts