Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if anyone can give some advice....I parked my Ducati scrambler in the city, and could sense that my handle bar had been tampered with..the bike is now super stiff and rigid turning right but loose when turning left..Feels like a completely different bike, what felt like a great bike to ride feels like I'm fighting it now! and the bike steering lock is no longer working. My only assumption is some dickhead has tried to snap the internal steering lock and may have bent the handlebars , forks or ??

Feeling a bit vulnerable taking to the dealer with little to no knowledge on what the issue might be...if anyone could give some advice on what they might think could be the issue would be appreciated.

cheers
Josh

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello
Not sure if anyone can give some advice....I parked my Ducati scrambler in the city, and could sense that my handle bar had been tampered with..the bike is now super stiff and rigid turning right but loose when turning left..Feels like a completely different bike, what felt like a great bike to ride feels like I'm fighting it now! and the bike steering lock is no longer working. My only assumption is some dickhead has tried to snap the internal steering lock and may have bent the handlebars , forks or ??
You can try to unloose gently all the bolts on the triple clamps, the wheel axle and fork legs and then, blocking your wheel between your legs, you pull on each side of the handlebar, one after each other. Then, you get back on the bike, push it forward and brake hardly 3 or 4 times to put everything back in place.
Then, of course, you tighten all the bolts you've touched before and you may hope your fork is now well aligned.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Whatever you do, do not loosen ALL the fork yoke (tripple tree) bolts. If you do the forks will slide right though and hit the handle bars causing you all sorts of problems trying to get them back to where they should be, especially if you apply the brake and bounce the suspension. If you must then only loosen the lower ones for re-alignmen plus inorder for this to work properly the wheel axle pinch bolts should be loose too.
By asking your question I can tell you really need to speak to a bike shop, any bike shop that does repairs should be able to help. If the steering decides to lock up then you have a problem that will ruin an otherwise ok day.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I´d say the internals of your steering lock are now sitting in the steering headstock having been sheared off! They are wedging between the headstock wall and stem when you turn.
They need removing sharpish before you have an accident when they jam.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your assumption about the dickhead is more than likely 100% correct.

Don't risk a bad incident, it won't be an accident because it could have been prevented.

Before you ride the bike again, repair the broken steering lock and re-align the head stock/triple tree.

It is quite probable that the broken steering lock will jam or bind at the most inappropriate time.

Reactions: Max Kool
1 - 6 of 6 Posts