Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First round of mods to the bike. Pulled off the carbon emissions box, mounted the gauge mover to middle of handlebars, pulled all the FT logos off and stickers, added carbon fiber Ducati tank emblem, painted front fender, chain cover, front fork covers and sprocket cover silver, plasti dipped yellow part of seat black, added Rizoma side mirrors and added phone mount to handle bars ( Ram Mount if you're interested ). Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Blacked Out Bike Pic.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
First round of mods to the bike. Pulled off the carbon emissions box, mounted the gauge mover to middle of handlebars, pulled all the FT logos off and stickers, added carbon fiber Ducati tank emblem, painted front fender, chain cover, front fork covers and sprocket cover silver, plasti dipped yellow part of seat black, added Rizoma side mirrors and added phone mount to handle bars ( Ram Mount if you're interested ). Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice!

View attachment 4954
nice work..do you have more pictures to show the mods?
Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why silver front fender, chain guard, sprocket cover, front fork covers? Perhaps continue the silver on the side tank panels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so the plasti dip was a bit tricky. The first time I did it (which are the pics below), I put the tape too close to the edges and when I started peeling off the tape, it pulled off little sections of paint. The second time I did it was MUCH easier. Just tape off your seat, like I did, but leave a half inch gap between the outside yellow edge and the black part of the seat. Clean the seat well with just some soap and water. Then just paint the non tapped areas, including that gap using typical spray paint methods. I did about 3 medium coats this time around and its held up nice. Make sure you let the paint dry for at least 20-30 mins between coats. Once everything dries, simply take a razor blade and LIGHTLY run it down the edges of the yellow part. Then just take your fingers and slowly peel off the extra plasti dip. You should have a nice clean look after that. Keep in mind, if it peels or anything, just rip it all off and recoat! Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why silver front fender, chain guard, sprocket cover, front fork covers? Perhaps continue the silver on the side tank panels.
Once I get the money I am thinking about doing the Rizoma oil cooler cover and the front and rear fenders. I tried the poor mans version of that, thought it came out nice, but I do think the silver need to blend more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
By far the best mod I've applied to my FT would be the Sargent seat. With the original a 300 mile day would leave me struggling to stand upright now they are not a problem. The CarbonFX cloth works well with the carbon tank panels as well.

97ron1.jpg
97ron2.jpg

·
Registered
792 Posts
Next cosmetic items I'd add to the list...

- Small LED indicators. Wrenchmonkees do some small aluminium ones I really want. I put some generic small arrow shaped ones on the back, deleting the big crappy bracket but I might swap them again to match the ones I'm going to get for the front.
- A little practical as well as cosmetic, are new clutch/brake levers. The first mod I make to any bike are adjustable shorty levers. I only use two fingers to brake and three on my clutch, so makes life easier. Standard items are almost always cheap and ugly as well. I've always used eBay CNC items from China and been perfectly happy. They cost 1/10th of what Rizoma/Pazzo etc... charge and do the same job.
- New grips. I fancy some that are a bit fatter.
- Black CNC headlight surround. I can't justify buying the Ducati one for £130 but it does look A LOT better to me. I think Silver side panels would really work then. Could be a bit too much silver with the standard headlight surround.
- Fancy looking sprokets and gold chain... because bling.

Performance mods... a bit more costly but can make such a difference.

- Rexxer remap. It makes such a difference to the bike. Matching it with a lighter, more free flowing exhaust is a bonus but depends if you like the standard termi or not.
- Suspension. I'm deciding if it's worth the investment, since I will likely buy new bike next year (Please god release an 1100 scrambler!) but others hail a decent rear shock and fork upgrade as revolutionary!
- Tyres. I'm not too fussed about dirt tracks. British B roads feel like off-roading anyway. I might stick a set of Diablo Rosso III's on next (if they eventually come in our size).
- Brakes - I might look into this more. Should be a reasonably cheap upgrade to get some pads with more bite and a possibly swanky looking rotor. My first rotor warped pretty badly and I'm worried the replacement is beginning to do the same. So aftermarket may last a bit longer.

Ultimate Gucci mod.... Carbon Wheels. Totally stupid on the Scrambler but know people who did it to other bikes and couldn't believe the difference.
I saw some guy was turbo'ing a Scrambler, so clearly anything goes!

·
Registered
182 Posts
DSCN3715.JPG
Black Plastidip the headlight surround, if ya don't like the look just peel it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
MY Ideas,
Owned many Ducati's including similar engined Pantas, 900ss and 900SL, did do extensive engine, carburetor, exhaust and ignition map changes The 954cc/ 900 Sl engine put out 103rwhp @ from memory 7500rpm, this is largely determined by the tortuous inlets and poor combustion shape
Brooke Henry fitted heads with welded up and reshaped inlet ports and reshaped combustion with larger valves and added squish bands. this engine was lent to Ducati Bunberry, where it ran high 10s in the 1/4 mile
most reports don't have a scrambler with fuel injection and 805cc? not producing even 70rwhp so 954/805x70=82rwhp this indicates these engines are mildly tuned, and have a lower bmep than my modified 900s did; looks like they even could run better Kiehen flatsides ?? and a open exhaust? good MPE (magnetic pulse event) resilient.
and a decent exhaust with a possible increase in com/ratio, and a set of Daytona Cams
haven't looked but this engine is already asthmatic in the top end, and must be able to work well in the midrange; I cant see most of the after-market exhausts providing much improvement in the top-end?
Any body got any significant improvements out of an exhaust, lets see your dyno charts?
look them up?
Bunberry Motorcycles Bunberry Western Australia, Chad Patterson, I will see what I can find?
What they did from memory is make a really huge difference to the mid-range, torque, makes the bike drive like a 950?
great for around town

1 - 17 of 17 Posts