Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FTP clunks into first and sometimes between first and second. Is this normal or something that I should be concerned about?
Also is it OK to engage first or second whilst rolling in neutral?
Sorry about the basic questions but have done 200 miles on my brand new bike having not ridden for about 25 years.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Slight clunking in the lower gears can be normal, opposed to crunching which could mean the clutch cable needs adjusting.
The clonk we feel when selecting 1st from stationary neutral is caused by the friction of the oil between the open clutch plates that are dragging the 1st motion shaft around meaning the gears are turning even though the clutch has de-clutched and quite normal.
As far as slipping into gear when rolling then there shouldn't be any problem as long as your rolling speed matches either 1st or 2nd. but if the bike is moving at all then 2nd. will usually be good. To be honest if you're rolling fast enough you can click up into whatever gear you want.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My FTP clunks into first and sometimes between first and second. Is this normal or something that I should be concerned about?
Also is it OK to engage first or second whilst rolling in neutral?
Sorry about the basic questions but have done 200 miles on my brand new bike having not ridden for about 25 years.
I tend to change lower gears around 4,000 revs and it seems to shift smoother also build the revs up with a little less throttle in the lower gears also helps. I think majority of bikes clunk into lower gears except for early gsxrs and rd350 ypvs's (my experience). After 6500 miles my gearbox has a lovely smooth action with minimal clunks (loud clunk into first when hot).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hopefully after your first service, it'll clear up a bit. It was a bit rough for my start with a good amount of false neutrals.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Years ago on my motocross bikes I found they didn't shift smoothly after 1 ride and found that I had to change oil after every ride. My Scrambler started acting the same way (clunking into gear, missing shifts, extra effort to get into next gear )somewhere around 300 miles and got progressively worse from there. Somewhere in here I read about how much better the Scramblers shifted after the first oil change. I knew from experience that this can be correct but my bike was shifting beyond bad. At 600 miles I changed the oil and it was a Ducati miracle.......the shifting was perfect and has stayed perfect and I am over 6000 miles now. I was a bit surprised that an oil change could make such a big difference but it does. So for what it's worth, do the scheduled maintenance and you'll be happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts