Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned a 999 and did not have any trouble getting the bike in neutral when running and stop at a light. Just got the Cafe Racer with 17 mile's on it. I put about 35 mile's so far. One ride (chilly in Penn.) But when I am at a stop light I CANNOT find neutral. Will not go in, just jumps right up to second or third gear. When I shut the bike off no problem. Goes right into neutral. Hopefully it will just take time to break in ? ANYONE ELSE??

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
It could be an oil pressure thing (there's a bulletin about that), but also just newishness. Or even clutch adjustment.

That said, there have been cases where there really was a problem with the clutch. The first thing you should do is mention it to your dealer.

The fact that you owned a 999 before makes me think you're an experienced rider and it's not just "ahh you'll get used to it".

·
Registered
748 Posts
Common on 800cc Scramblers especially when new and cold (engine wise). This forum is littered with similar posts to yours.
It seems to get better with miles on the engine and also when the engine is properly hot.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Just break it in...
Basically yes. My Scrambler has 5 or 6 thousand miles on it now and the last time I rode it about 3 weeks ago finding neutral whenever I stopped at light was vague for about the first 20 minutes then after that it was smooth as butter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If ya haven’t tried adjusting the clutch lever start there. Had the same issue with my Sled. I tried it one “click” in and one out. The latter solved the problem. Make sure you loosen the wonky stop screw on the bottom of the adjuster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For my 2019 scrambler. Yes it is hard to find neutral at times. It’s normal. I was actually on false neutral one time and the engine shuts off. The engine light came on once I restarted it. Luckily After riding for a hour the light turned off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes this is happening to me also. Most of the time, whenever I can, I'll try to shift into neutral right before rolling to the stop. If the wheels are turning (even slowly) it's much easier to find neutral. Albeit, in stop-n-go traffic it is harder to do this work around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
with my 2015 model I have learnt that gear leaver position and a firm positive movement helps. That is with a softer approach for a change to neutral.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes this is happening to me also. Most of the time, whenever I can, I'll try to shift into neutral right before rolling to the stop. If the wheels are turning (even slowly) it's much easier to find neutral. Albeit, in stop-n-go traffic it is harder to do this work around.
Thanks, did not think about that. Should work, out of town riding....?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks, did not think about that. Should work, out of town riding....?
Another old trick if you can’t get neutral is to let the clutch out till it just starts to grab then pull the lever in and move the gear lever up to neutral. That often works as well and means you don’t have to roll to a stop in neutral which can be an issue at traffic lights if the lights suddenly change.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I do use a low profile shoe. Like I was saying it is brand new and only been out on it a couple of times. Taking all reply's...THANKYOU....

·
Registered
1 Posts
YES! Mine did this too! The good news is, it gets a little better as it warms up, and gets a whole lot better with miles. It’ll be frustrating for a while, but it’ll go away when it’s broken in. Hang in there!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, my last ride it did get better at the end of the ride. Warmed up and was able to pop it into neutral easily. THANKS..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts