Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had my first sit on the new 1100 Scrambler yesterday , at the UK Bike Show in the NEC, When I first saw a picture of the bike I was a little underwhelmed , don't know what I expected Ducati to turn it into but like I said I expected a little more,

The first one I sat on was the most expensive one ( might have Guessed) well it was the one that caught my eye and first impressions and all that, It had a note on the tank ( pre production model) First thing to hit me was the fatter tank, second was the comfortable seat ( rather than the plank they put on the first model) it felt a better shape too, I do like the new dash though , different, without going over the top, the bars felt a little lower than on the 800 for some reason, but it would still be easy to fit bar risers if needed , the tops of the Ohlins forks stand out , so i bounced up and down a few times, lol, I'm sure they're going to be fine, anything better than the standard 800 offering has to be good, the rear shock looked the part too,
I liked the gloss black engine , should make it easier to clean, There seemed to be a little more attention to details on the build quality, perhaps thats been evolving since they first brought it on the scene, but it did look impressive, good to see the standard tyres haven't changed they are impressive and after all it is a scrambler, and they do look the part IMHO,
Ok , they've addressed a couple of the main criticisms people on here had, mainly the suspension, seat and engine power, although I must admit I never needed any more power,
Overall it looks very much the same, but I'm sure it won't feel the same with the new engine and Ohlins all round,
What I didn't like was the tail tidy/no plate holder, I still prefer the low down one that fitted on the swing arm, its ok if you live in a mostly dry country, but here in the uk where I ride all the year round it's a pain having road crud all over the back of the bike and your riding gear every time it rains,
I know some will say its the tyres flirting the stuff up, but actually imo it isn't , It also happens on my S1000 XR well it did until I managed to buy a really good hugger,
I can't wait to give it a test ride ASAP, I know its going to be expensive £ 13 k + but you know it makes sense , I think , lol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well I had my first sit on the new 1100 Scrambler yesterday , at the UK Bike Show in the NEC, When I first saw a picture of the bike I was a little underwhelmed , don't know what I expected Ducati to turn it into but like I said I expected a little more,

The first one I sat on was the most expensive one ( might have Guessed) well it was the one that caught my eye and first impressions and all that, It had a note on the tank ( pre production model) First thing to hit me was the fatter tank, second was the comfortable seat ( rather than the plank they put on the first model) it felt a better shape too, I do like the new dash though , different, without going over the top, the bars felt a little lower than on the 800 for some reason, but it would still be easy to fit bar risers if needed , the tops of the Ohlins forks stand out , so i bounced up and down a few times, lol, I'm sure they're going to be fine, anything better than the standard 800 offering has to be good, the rear shock looked the part too,
I liked the gloss black engine , should make it easier to clean, There seemed to be a little more attention to details on the build quality, perhaps thats been evolving since they first brought it on the scene, but it did look impressive, good to see the standard tyres haven't changed they are impressive and after all it is a scrambler, and they do look the part IMHO,
Ok , they've addressed a couple of the main criticisms people on here had, mainly the suspension, seat and engine power, although I must admit I never needed any more power,
Overall it looks very much the same, but I'm sure it won't feel the same with the new engine and Ohlins all round,
What I didn't like was the tail tidy/no plate holder, I still prefer the low down one that fitted on the swing arm, its ok if you live in a mostly dry country, but here in the uk where I ride all the year round it's a pain having road crud all over the back of the bike and your riding gear every time it rains,
I know some will say its the tyres flirting the stuff up, but actually imo it isn't , It also happens on my S1000 XR well it did until I managed to buy a really good hugger,
I can't wait to give it a test ride ASAP, I know its going to be expensive £ 13 k + but you know it makes sense , I think , lol
Just sat on the same bike today, Your right about the tank and the bike does looks good in the flesh. Meeting Zarco was the highlight of the show.

·
Registered
96 Posts
C32511F1-4A3E-4F6B-93B1-599B343FC3C2.jpeg
FB20053F-A62C-407A-A1C1-FF2F2D10413A.jpeg
Is it just me, or does it look like the original Yamaha MT03? Which I absolutely Loved!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Who's Zarco??
Well if he's not on a works bike (Yamaha) next year it will be a travesty.

Geoff

Ho btw I to sat on the new bikes yesterday and yes all that ELVISTO posted is spot on but there's no way I'm looking at changing my little red full throttle.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ! that Zarco , thought it may have been someone or something to do with Ducati,

Have to agree Geoff, but the factory Yamaha isn't as fast as the one he has, apparently

·
Registered
788 Posts
View attachment 26281 View attachment 26289 Is it just me, or does it look like the original Yamaha MT03? Which I absolutely Loved!!
I'm with you, the industrial design aesthetic is shared. Interestingly enough, the MT-03 was designed in Italy. Bit before it's time I think. I really wanted one for a long time until I test rode one, the 660cc single was a crap engine. I'm all for punchy torque but it didn't rev... You'd go to overtake and instantly be bouncing off the limiter. Also under powered.

I tested one as a first 'big bike' and even coming from a 125, I was left wanting more by the end of the test ride.

I really like the new 1100, especially the Sport but I don't know, I'm not lusting after it. Maybe a test ride would fix that. I didn't really fancy the 800 until I rode one and then placed my order right then.

I think it's time for a change though, life's too short to stick with what you know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I couldn’t agree with you more!!
I think Yamaha made a mistake stopping production of this bike instead of involving. I find the new MT03 a much cheaper made bike. if they had transplanted the larger engine and upgraded the components, they would have ended up with a very nice bike.
The design was well ahead of its time.

I'm with you, the industrial design aesthetic is shared. Interestingly enough, the MT-03 was designed in Italy. Bit before it's time I think. I really wanted one for a long time until I test rode one, the 660cc single was a crap engine. I'm all for punchy torque but it didn't rev... You'd go to overtake and instantly be bouncing off the limiter. Also under powered.

I tested one as a first 'big bike' and even coming from a 125, I was left wanting more by the end of the test ride.

I really like the new 1100, especially the Sport but I don't know, I'm not lusting after it. Maybe a test ride would fix that. I didn't really fancy the 800 until I rode one and then placed my order right then.

I think it's time for a change though, life's too short to stick with what you know.

·
Registered
290 Posts
No plans to exchange the scrambler, when I look at the new 1100 scrambler it makes me wonder what's been going on in the garage between my monster 1100s and the scrambler FT, "love child"...lol.

Geoff.

btw how are you and your bike?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
No plans to exchange the scrambler, when I look at the new 1100 scrambler it makes me wonder what's been going on in the garage between my monster 1100s and the scrambler FT, "love child"...lol.

Geoff.

btw how are you and your bike?
It wouldn't suit me as too big and heavy and not enough extra HP to make it worthwhile. I am fine thanks, not ridden much this year due to various things going on and/or the weather not great, hopefully have coffee and cake some time in the New Year (my bike's in hibernation at the mo :) )

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think people are really missing the boat.
The 1100 is only 20kg heavier and has much more torque peaking low down in the rev range. The 1100 will have considerably more go than the 800.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think people are really missing the boat.
The 1100 is only 20kg heavier and has much more torque peaking low down in the rev range. The 1100 will have considerably more go than the 800.
‘Only’ 20kgs will likely be too much for me!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't think people are missing the boat it's just a case of horses for courses.

My FT gets myself and wife out and about at a leisurely pace were as my monster 1100s is now without pillion foot pegs as my wife found it to be alittle to harsh but it certainly makes a great solo rideout machine.
And one more thing isn't it good that we now have the 1100 dual spark air cooled engine back in production.

Geoff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm ot planning on getting the 1100. Would I have gotten one if it was available at the time? Not sure. I would have ridden both. Price is also considered. My FTP was bought outright and I would have had to finance the 1100. I am happy with the performance of the 803.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts