Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I know engine breakin has been covered quite a few times but only stumbled across the posts last nights night and need some advice. Have only covered 400 miles and am now concerned I have been to gentle with my pride and joy as haven't been above 4000rpm. I would add that this is not because of intentionally nursing the engine but having been off bikes for far to many years I was regaining confidence and didn't want to get myself in trouble.

Oil level seems good and no sign of blue smoke. Having read the need for rings to seat in correctly by opening the bike up have I missed the window to prevent glazing. Appreciate any advice as starting to panic.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi Everyone

I know engine breakin has been covered quite a few times but only stumbled across the posts last nights night and need some advice. Have only covered 400 miles and am now concerned I have been to gentle with my pride and joy as haven't been above 4000rpm. I would add that this is not because of intentionally nursing the engine but having been off bikes for far to many years I was regaining confidence and didn't want to get myself in trouble.

Oil level seems good and no sign of blue smoke. Having read the need for rings to seat in correctly by opening the bike up have I missed the window to prevent glazing. Appreciate any advice as starting to panic.
You still have 250 miles or so before the 1st service so plenty time to finish off the run-in procedure.
The most common mistake (in my humble but professional opinion) is letting the bike tick over for far too long before riding, second to labouring the engine. Iit's best to start up and ride, this is because the engine will heat up much more evenly and quickly which means it gets off the cold running program asap.
If you don't want the speeds associated with high revs then stay in the lower gears for longer, a good way of letting the engine work freely without high speeds.

Remember, once the 1st oil change has been done there will be little or no more bedding in due to the modern oils just being too good at their job.

Let it run free and don't labour it. Get it up and down the gears more than normal too.
Don't tick over for long periods especially when cold.

It's not just the engine that needs run in it's the gearbox as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply and advice. Had read that the ring seating occurred within the first 50 or 60 miles so panic station over. Will go for a good ride later and increase revs in lower gears. Looks like I need to be a bit more liberal with the right hand, such a chore!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts