Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a brand new 2018 1100. It has sat in the garage for the last couple of weeks and I finally got it registered and out on the road for the first time yesterday! I have had many bikes over the years, mostly Japanese with a couple Husky's included in the mix. This is the first bike I have owned that sounds like it is pissed off at the world! Man what a great sound from a stock exhaust.
It takes about 5 tries when its cold to get it running, but once warmed up it seems to start great. Maybe that will get better with time? I do have a recall for a clip or something under the seat...a wire can get worn and short out. Maybe when I take it back to the dealer he can get it to start better when cold.
Other than that, this bike is Awesome. Great sound, good power and a really nice seating position for an older rider, I think I am going to love this bike for a very long time. Every thing from switch gear to suspension feels quality and premium.
I have gotten the small Ducati aluminum headlight fairing, an oil cooler cover (EVO) and a guard for the front part of the engine (also EVO) so I have started to do a few small things to make it mine.
I hope to be around for awhile on the forum to get some info on general maintenance and mods to the bike.
Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
It takes about 5 tries when its cold to get it running
That's not normal. I also recently got new 2018 1100, it was hard to start the first few times, but now it starts like a charm! Maybe the battery got bad in the storage? Get it fixed, and enjoy the bike in meantime!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the reply! It’s still pretty new only a few km on it. Once warm it starts perfect. I will definitely keep my eye on the starting but I think once I get some highway miles on it cold starting will improve. I love this bike!
it has a personality all its own.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my 2018 ID'd 1100 in august last year.

Like you I love it to bits.

I too have found it requires sometimes five stabs at the button to get her lively.
However there are other days when she will start alost immediately on the first shot.

These experiences are when the bike is cold.
Warm / hot she starts a treat.

I do tend to plonk around at very low throttle openings and i think she clogs up from that.
Certainly she seems happier (both starting and general running) next time out after some spirited hills riding.

I run 98 fuel at all times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi albymangled great to hear from a fellow 1100 rider! I think the bike would be great for riding the hills! I haven't gotten it out for any rally good runs yet, but over the next few weeks the roads will get cleaned up from winter and it wont feel like I am running on marbles all the time. So much gravel on the city roads now. It's also starting to get a bit nicer here so that helps too!!
Hey does anyone have a good video or how to regarding oil changes on the 1100? I think it looks like I have to take the exhaust down pipe off to gain access to the screen bolt. Is that a difficult thing to do? I am not close to the 600km mark yet for it's first change but I hope to get there soon!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought my 2018 ID'd 1100 in august last year.

Like you I love it to bits.

I too have found it requires sometimes five stabs at the button to get her lively.
However there are other days when she will start alost immediately on the first shot.

These experiences are when the bike is cold.
Warm / hot she starts a treat.

I do tend to plonk around at very low throttle openings and i think she clogs up from that.
Certainly she seems happier (both starting and general running) next time out after some spirited hills riding.

I run 98 fuel at all times.
Yeah, it's a Ducati, rev her up! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice.
I have the Evotech tail tidy on my Diavel and in my opinion they make top quality stuff at really quite reasonable prices.
Did you fit those yourself and if so how did you find it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I just put them on in about 45 minutes. Very well made for sure! I am in Canada and price was reasonable.
Here is a picture of the Ducati Scrambler 1100 Sport Headlight Fairing. 97381001A
Well made but fairly pricey. Nice quality aluminum and mounting system

·
Registered
823 Posts
Great looking bike and nice add ons! If you think jt sounds mad know try a pair of slip ons without db killers...😱
Ducati 's have been known to struggle with cold starts. On older models people often install thicker leads. Mine's always on a trickle charger and it will start at once cold but it always sounds like it barely cranks over. When you say it takes 5 tries do you mean it turns over 5 times or that you have to push the starter button 5 times to get it to run? Maybe just push it a bit longer(I always tend to let go of the button after I hear it crank but sometimes that's just a bit to soon).
Enjoy your new ride and just like you I also love mine and think it's the best bike I ever owned period. I would only trade it for another 1100 Scrambler;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Skippy, thanks for the reply! I push the button until it fires then I let go. When cold it usually sputters and then dies at least twice. Then it roars to life and puts fear into everyone in my neighborhood! Haha.
It is snowing here so my riding days are put on hold for the next week or so.
I do have a nice motorcycle jacket coming in the next day or two. A Klim ravener, so I hope it fits ok and i can get back out there!
Cheers.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Might be the cold then. Many batteries loose up to 50% of their power to crank over the engine while it's cold. Still I would mention it to the dealer I just to be sure.
Can't wait till the weather over here gets better too even though I have a jacket for any occasion by now after all these years.
The Klim gear is very nice but I like riding the best when I can wear my leather perforated Alpinestars SP-1 Airflow jacket.😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I just bought a brand new 2018 1100. It has sat in the garage for the last couple of weeks and I finally got it registered and out on the road for the first time yesterday! I have had many bikes over the years, mostly Japanese with a couple Husky's included in the mix. This is the first bike I have owned that sounds like it is pissed off at the world! Man what a great sound from a stock exhaust.
It takes about 5 tries when its cold to get it running, but once warmed up it seems to start great. Maybe that will get better with time? I do have a recall for a clip or something under the seat...a wire can get worn and short out. Maybe when I take it back to the dealer he can get it to start better when cold.
Other than that, this bike is Awesome. Great sound, good power and a really nice seating position for an older rider, I think I am going to love this bike for a very long time. Every thing from switch gear to suspension feels quality and premium.
I have gotten the small Ducati aluminum headlight fairing, an oil cooler cover (EVO) and a guard for the front part of the engine (also EVO) so I have started to do a few small things to make it mine.
I hope to be around for awhile on the forum to get some info on general maintenance and mods to the bike.
Thanks!
I just purchased the same exaxt bike. 123 miles. So hyped. Wanting to change the gear shift lever if anyone has done that/can recommend aftermarket parts, I would really appreciate it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts