Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious what the smarter people would recommend for oil in the northeast.

My 600 mile service is coming up, and I'm not really thinking it's worth the price. I've already measured and adjusted my chain tension twice, and I check nut/bolt torque and brake pads weekly. Seems silly to pay a stealership almost $300usd when I've already done half of the service (and can just as easily do the second half).

That being said, it's fall in the northeast, and I'm no oil expert. So what does everyone recommend for <40º riding and then 4 months of storage?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
At least tell your dealer you're doing you 600 mile service yourself, and have them stamp your booklet.

In regards to the oil choice, you should just call your dealer and ask them what oil grade they favor in your circumstances.

The bike is new, you don't want to void your warranty....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least tell your dealer you're doing you 600 mile service yourself, and have them stamp your booklet.

In regards to the oil choice, you should just call your dealer and ask them what oil grade they favor in your circumstances.

The bike is new, you don't want to void your warranty....
That's a good point, I actually didn't think of that at all. I still don't think it's worth quite that much, but I'm sure I'll have to pay them to turn off the service light which will bother me in 2 seconds flat, after turning on

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here in The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, dealers can't deny warranty claims based on servicing the bike yourself. Keep records and you'll be fine. Walmart carries Mobil 1 15W50 full synthetic for $9 a quart. Use a quality oil made for motorcycles, most manufacturers have them. The Ducati factory manual lists several weights depending on anticipated temperatures. If you don't plan on riding when it's less than 40 degrees, you could get away with 20W50. Castrol, Motul, and many others have excellent deals on that. I performed my first service and went to the dealer for a hose recall, while I was there I asked if they could reset the service light. They did it for free and the next service light comes on at 7500 miles when the valve clearances get checked. Most likely the dealer will perform that one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm in southern Massachusetts, and within 5 minutes of Rhode Island so I have my bike service at Razee in North Kingston, RI. They are 1 of the coolest bike shops I've ever been to. Every one there seems there seems to be fanatical about bikes and really committed to making it great for customers. I did my own 600 mile service and when I was don there for kickstand recall they turned off the service light for me. They also got a $400 headlight that the lens broke for no apparent reason warrantied for me. If you're anywhere near, they are worth the trip. They also do the 7500 mile service for a few hundred less than other dealers here in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Central CT right now, so New Haven PowerSports is my closest shop I think. I venture to Providence and Boston on occasion though, so that's good to know

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just curious what the smarter people would recommend for oil in the northeast.

My 600 mile service is coming up, and I'm not really thinking it's worth the price. I've already measured and adjusted my chain tension twice, and I check nut/bolt torque and brake pads weekly. Seems silly to pay a stealership almost $300usd when I've already done half of the service (and can just as easily do the second half).

That being said, it's fall in the northeast, and I'm no oil expert. So what does everyone recommend for <40º riding and then 4 months of storage?
Hartford area here. I'll be putting my bike away soon. I had my 600 mile service done by the dealer just piece of mind the first service is a important one and had a ducati tech do it. All other normal services I'll do myself. 7k valve check I'll have the dealer do it too since when it will be done the bike is still under warranty if they find a problem thats not normal wear and tar. Other then that I can check the valves and adjust them my self. We should meet up one of these day. Message me if you like to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts