Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was with me at Ducati Seattle yesterday and for the first time EVER, and I mean ever, she said “that is a beautiful bike” . She was lookin at the scramblers.

Now I’m no stranger to bikes. 7,000 road miles per year and just a hair under 1,000 on track this year. I currently own a ‘15 821

This is my daily rider.
Two track bikes, dirt bikes, etc.

My wife finally expressed interest so damit, she is getting a scrambler. I’m sure the 62 will be appropriate for her and I’ll customize it to be a good match for her. What is the things you have found to be problems with these 400’s.

I see a lot of complaints about cold starting and quick tire ware. What else have owners found to be major issues, wants, or cautions?

I put custom bits on my bikes so if there is anything other than the standard exhaust, ECU, slider, mirrors package I should also get please let me know why.

#1 important thing is safety and comfort for her so it can be a fun learning experience. I’m looking forward to trying to get into a session of Team Oregon with her later this year to get her an endorsement and Motorcycle Safety Training.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I can not say for sure on the smaller scrambler - but the 800 seat comfort is not good... personally I would recommend Sargent as the best replacement... but other than the Ducati comfort seat (which was not) it was all I tried.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
bowermad,

Bear in mind the Scrambler is a 400lb bike; light compared to most, but still a chunk for a brand new rider. Would she consider spending some time on something a little lighter, just to start? I always recommend easy-peasy in the early days. Welcome to the forum, hope you'll keep us posted along.

Sarah

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bowermad,

Bear in mind the Scrambler is a 400lb bike; light compared to most, but still a chunk for a brand new rider. Would she consider spending some time on something a little lighter, just to start? I always recommend easy-peasy in the early days. Welcome to the forum, hope you'll keep us posted along.

Sarah
I do plan on starting her on the kids MX bikes to learn the ropes. Luckily I have a CR50, XR70 and a TT110 for her to cut her teeth on.

I have been thinking of picking up a CBR 250 or Ninja 300 so she could have a very small starting bike then step up to a scrambler. That way I would have the small bike for my son to start learning track riding. He’s 10 now and it would be great to have a track bike for him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that's the case you could see how she gets on and maybe get an Icon.
Do any of the scrambler models have riding modes?

My 821 has multiple ones that tune the engine delivery stock and can be fully customized by the owner with a little work. I also have ABS and TC, but is see the Sixty2 only has ABS and not TC.

Can the ABS on the Sixty2 be turned down & up or just one stock setting?

·
Registered
188 Posts
i believe abs can just be turned on or off. and i dont think any scrambler has any different riding modes or TC.

i find the clutch to be a little heavy, especially if you're in a lot of stop and go traffic. and neutral isn't always easy to find compared to my suzuki. the new icon has hydraulic clutch so that might be nice to have.

i hear a lot of people complaining about the stock seat but i haven't really found it to be an issue. i also have a mustang seat but i actually just keep the stock seat on.

for a first bike i'd say it will feel pretty heavy. i had a suzuki tu250x which was about 330lb wet and felt WAAAAY lighter than the sixty2.

i also find the pegs are in an odd spot when you're trying to flat foot. they seem like they're always in the way if you ever try to duck walk with the bike.

·
Registered
954 Posts
for a first bike i'd say it will feel pretty heavy. i had a suzuki tu250x which was about 330lb wet and felt WAAAAY lighter than the sixty2.
Agree. The TUX is one of the most fun bike sto ride ever. Not a huge amount of power but massive amounts of smiles. I love riding our daughters one from time to time.

. also find the pegs are in an odd spot when you're trying to flat foot. they seem like they're always in the way if you ever try to duck walk with the bike.
Again agree. The peg placement is crazy, just wrong as far as mavourvering a bike is concerned. It could be very off putting for a beginner. I can't believe how wide the pegs are for such a narrow engine and how they seem to always be in the way when parking.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The scrambler 1100 - Has adjustable power modes and adjustable ABS.

Whether they will carry that across to the new Icon - now it has the newer ABS system and newer switch gear??

They would need to change to ride by wire throttle I think for the power modes..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You've got the start up covered with those dirt bikes, can't get much better than that. I had the TU250 in mind when I posted yesterday, it makes an excellent street starter and has a standard riding position much like the Scrambler. If you decide on a small sport bike, consider setting it up as standard as possible. I find even the lightest bikes are more difficult to manage at low speeds when in a crouched position. Good luck, you two have some great fun ahead.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
My wife was with me at Ducati Seattle yesterday and for the first time EVER, and I mean ever, she said “that is a beautiful bike” . She was lookin at the scramblers.

Now I’m no stranger to bikes. 7,000 road miles per year and just a hair under 1,000 on track this year. I currently own a ‘15 821

This is my daily rider.
Two track bikes, dirt bikes, etc.

My wife finally expressed interest so damit, she is getting a scrambler. I’m sure the 62 will be appropriate for her and I’ll customize it to be a good match for her. What is the things you have found to be problems with these 400’s.

I see a lot of complaints about cold starting and quick tire ware. What else have owners found to be major issues, wants, or cautions?

I put custom bits on my bikes so if there is anything other than the standard exhaust, ECU, slider, mirrors package I should also get please let me know why.

#1 important thing is safety and comfort for her so it can be a fun learning experience. I’m looking forward to trying to get into a session of Team Oregon with her later this year to get her an endorsement and Motorcycle Safety Training.
Pretty much your 1st sentence said it all. ‘For the fist time ever’
If the Scrambler turned her head then nothing else will do. If you talk someone into anything other than that then the novelty will wear off real quick. Any Scrambler would make a perfect starter bike, with the required qudos to go with it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My wife did a 2-day course and passed her test last month - after 24 years of marriage and pillion riding.
I have a UE Scrambler (plus some large cc Ducati's - Multi, Diavel, etc) and she has convinced herself that it's two heavy and the throttle is snatchy (which is kinda is).

We looked at all available bikes and ended up buying a Suzuki Van Van 200. After 400 miles she is happy on it, but realizes that it's under-powered for anything more than a 50 mile pleasure/chore ride.

So we when to the Ducati dealership and she loves the Sixty2. Thinks it feels lighter (which it's not really). Then she sat on an Icon and Classic and is convinced they are lighter (which they are not).

We're probably not going to take a Sixty2 because it really is the same weight, has lower power and prob higher depreciation. But similarly I don't think she's going to go with my UE.

Point is. With a new rider and wife, you need to go with what they want. Pushing against the tide will not yield confidence and a positive result.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts