Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm looking at my first bike in a couple of weeks (20+ years driving, 3 years at 50 cc, and an absolute beginner above that). But I thought I'd jump into this community and learn more. Ever since I picked up the 50cc Yamaha years ago, I've been excited to move up to a larger and more capable engine/bike. I don't want to get anything too powerful just yet, I kind of see myself sticking with 400cc and below for a couple of years - then bumping up to the 800-ish range later when I'm comfortable. I don't want to get something more powerful now because I don't want to tempt myself or bite off more than I can chew.

So...basically, it has come down to a 2018 scrambler 62 (surprise surprise...), 9000 miles @ $6950 USD, and a new 2022 Husq 401, ~200 miles @ $5650 USD.

I actually really like them both for different reasons, but I'm leaning towards the 62 due to the more classic look (hence why I'm here now), but just thought I'd get one last gut check on the price/year/mileage from you experienced folks. I'm hoping to negotiate the price down a bit more though, seems kind of high?

Anyway, excited to look around the forums and learn more! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Pretty sure an 800 wouldn't frighten you off? Same weight (give or take) and size as the 62… Okay, a little more oomph but nothing unmanageable - just a thought to try and save you a stage of buying bikes. Enjoy whatever you end up with. 🙂

·
Registered
88 Posts
scrambler for sure over the husky.

sure it looks interesting and it would be dead light but I think the duc will be more of a long term ownership deal.

I think deano is right about the 800 (if you want to be able to do a little longer runs)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tend to lean more towards the idea that your riding style and needs will change a lot as you ride more and more, so there is no shame in buying a bike with the intention of it being for just a few years because more than likely that will be true anyway… I tend to ignore the people that say “go for the bigger bike because you will grow out of the smaller bike” - you probably will, but who cares? There will always be a market for smaller displacement bikes.

If you haven’t sat on the husky yet, you might want to do that before making a final decision. I found there was a weird pinch point where the seat met the side plastics that was uncomfortable on my legs the second I sat on it at a dealership. We were going to get it for my wife but we both noticed the seat pinch and she ended up getting something else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While I'm intrigued with the Husq option, go with the Scrambler at the 800 cc level. I don't think its that powerful, easy on the throttle until you're used to it, very manageable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would actually go with the husky unless you love the 62. Less expensive, lighter, and better suspension would be enough for me unless I loved another bike more. With the 62, you are also looking at the more expensive service in 3000 miles!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I should add - there is a small-ish economic incentive for me to stay at 400cc or below. My insurance for the year is about half for the 62, vs the Icon (or other 803cc Ducs). Certainly it's also about comfort level, but just wanted to mention that for those of you wondering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts