Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
They seem to have lost interest in the Scrambler all we had for a couple of years are new models with different colours and parts added from the existing parts bin. The Night Shift is an example. Anybody who owns any Scrambler other than a Cafe Racer or Desert Sled could create themselves a Night Shift tomorrow using existing parts and some paint.
If they don't introduce something that is actually new the whole range will wither and die. We all know air cooled engines are effectively dead so I am wondering if they are marking time and in a year or so there will be a brand new from the ground up Scrambler range with a watercooled engine. If the Desert X ever arrives it could be the first of the new series perhaps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe they are just using up supplies of bits they already had and didn't sell due to a Covid based general downturn..?

Masochist I may be but I saw air cooling as a drawcard...no radiator a plus in my mind.
Hell yes the engine is a rattly bugger without the water jacket my Diavel has but (in my mind at least) that's Ducati isn't it?

I joked with my dealer that the reason people put those silly dry clutches on Ducatis is to drown out the racket from the valve gear (and engine in general) and it took him longer than I thought to smile. He is a dyed in the wool Duc fan and I'm just a "johnny come lately" with only two Ducs over the last 7 nearly 8 years to my name.

As far as I know there aren't any more Scrambler 1100 Specials to be had and that motivated me to buy the bike i had wanted for over 12 months.

The two 1100 models they have released don't stir much in me compared to the prototypes they showed a while back. The Cagiva styled bike is too tall for me but the blue /silver motard one looks good. Maybe we'll see them for 2021/2.

Sport Pro / Pro 1100 aren't really grabbing me..look a little try hard with the big 1100 slathered across the tank and I'm not a fan of the stacked pipes..but beauty is in the eye of the beholder..I'm sure they are good to ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm a beginner and don't know much about anything. I love my 2019 icon but more and more I was inclined to sell it and get a 2020 DS. I absolutely love the new DS looks and the fact that they brought back the golden rims and black pipes. If I was to suggest some changes to make a more modern bike I guess I wouldn't have bought a scrambler in the first place.

I do understand some people's disappointments as the bikes haven't changed much since they came back in 2015 but they remain awesome for my taste. The desertX would've been closer to other more modern adventure bikes from other brands and thus less unique.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The DesertX would be a beautiful throwback to the early 90’s Cagiva Elefant 900ie!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I call it an evolution of design for Ducati, just like Porsche 911 the design hasn’t change for over 50 years. If you look at 911, you know it’s 911 but you might not know what years of production. I think it’s the beauty of the design you want to keep and make incremental changes but kept the original lines. As for new line up, I think the Night Shift looking great with colors and subtle changes. I just recently bought the cafe racer which I love love love the design and I am glad I bought it new. The only thing I really wish Ducati would create cafe racer in red and black. The 1100 model look awesome but a tad big for my stature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If something is selling well and having low amounts of warranty claims why fuss with it? Same reason the 4runner and Tacoma have absurdly outdated technology... people keep buying them and Toyota can count on good profits because there will be so few warranty costs compared to if they rolled the dice on new powertrain tech every few years. Want a futuristic updated Scrambler? Svartpilen 701 is exactly what you're asking for. And I do love those too... :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
If something is selling well and having low amounts of warranty claims why fuss with it? Same reason the 4runner and Tacoma have absurdly outdated technology... people keep buying them and Toyota can count on good profits because there will be so few warranty costs compared to if they rolled the dice on new powertrain tech every few years. Want a futuristic updated Scrambler? Svartpilen 701 is exactly what you're asking for. And I do love those too... :)
For some reason the 701 is flagged as a high risk bike to my insurance provider in Los Angeles. My current rate for my 2016 Scrambler is $500 per year, I was quoted $3k per year for similar coverage on Svartpilen! Definitely a pass on that one, I could save that money and buy a whole new bike every 3 years! They're such similar bikes on paper but the styling on the Scrambler takes it home, I think that's why we're all here haha. I don't think anyone wants a futuristic Scrambler, personally just looking for something more performance oriented from the factory. Maybe a Scrambler SP, or Scrambler S, 17" front wheel, adjustable suspension, the works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow that is insane! Kudos to you for researching before buying hah. If you really want one still, I have found that different insurance companies have vastly different algorithms and you might be able to find one that doesn't classify the Svartpilen the same way. But sounds like you're a happy camper with the Scrambler anyway. I am definitely totally happy with the Scrambler, having survived my time owning a cbr600rr and some supermoto bikes I now like to just enjoy the ride and not worry about pushing the limits on every corner.

Also as someone who already owns one, I love that the new models are just cosmetic upgrades and remakes. No temptation to upgrade and I can just spend my money customizing mine how I like :)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For some reason the 701 is flagged as a high risk bike to my insurance provider in Los Angeles. My current rate for my 2016 Scrambler is $500 per year, I was quoted $3k per year for similar coverage on Svartpilen!

[...]
That's odd. I guess it all depends on what insurance you choose, your age, claims history, etc. I have a Vitpilen 701 and an FTR1200 and pay 30 bucks a month for both.... maybe time to shop around for a different insurance provider?

(also living in LA)

that said, the Vit/Svart 701 is more fun than a Ducati Scrambler. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
They seem to have lost interest in the Scrambler all we had for a couple of years are new models with different colours and parts added from the existing parts bin. The Night Shift is an example. Anybody who owns any Scrambler other than a Cafe Racer or Desert Sled could create themselves a Night Shift tomorrow using existing parts and some paint.
If they don't introduce something that is actually new the whole range will wither and die. We all know air cooled engines are effectively dead so I am wondering if they are marking time and in a year or so there will be a brand new from the ground up Scrambler range with a watercooled engine. If the Desert X ever arrives it could be the first of the new series perhaps.
lol what. lost interest for a couple of years? the whole lines literally been around for only 5 years. how exactly would it 'wither and die'.

as someone who owns a 2016 scrambler without the 'latest' stuff (i dont have corner abs, hydraulic clutch, new switchgear, self cancelling indicators, fuel gauge, gear indicator etc, etc) i think those are pretty decent incremental changes. if you're expecting a brand new engine or something..well that aint happening in ducatis budget line of bikes. they got this air cooled bike to be euro 5. i doubt theres incentive for a liquid cooled variety.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, if they're teasing with new models (Motard, DesertX), the buyers are expecting new models at some point, not just bold new colors...

A Scrambler with an 821 or 950 liquid cooled engine could be a mighty fine bike!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well, if they're teasing with new models (Motard, DesertX), the buyers are expecting new models at some point, not just bold new colors...

A Scrambler with an 821 or 950 liquid cooled engine could be a mighty fine bike!
hey if it means i can sit in traffic without burning my left leg, i'm all for it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts