Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that after the fact... the caps have a preload adjustement, which will allow you to set (static) spring sag. Not a big deal in my book, but whatever.

Oh, and a little vent screw to burp the air that gets squeezed out of the fork oil (I guess).

The replacement top cap also provides an external spring preload.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello

Oh, and a little vent screw to burp the air that gets squeezed out of the fork oil (I guess)..
If this is really true, it is a very important improvment : it means that the fork will be softer in compression as the air chamber will not be closed anymore. When I changed the OEM springs for Wilbers progressive springs, I also increased the air chamber size, by removing some oil, and this has softened the fork in compression.

Air is compressible, when oil is not and if the air chamber is no more closed, it means that oil and air are no more used to manage the compression behaviour. Oil is only used for damping, then.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe that they should not be left open. They are used to only settle the ride height once the forks have been pumped up and down a few times and then closed. This allows the oil quantity and air gap to be fixed to the damping specification you want to achieve. My 1974 GT750 had these fitted!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I remember back in the day when I had air shocks front and rear on my 1976 LTD 900. They were after- market set ups but they worked very well. Haven't seen them since.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello
I believe that they should not be left open. They are used to only settle the ride height once the forks have been pumped up and down a few times and then closed. This allows the oil quantity and air gap to be fixed to the damping specification you want to achieve. My 1974 GT750 had these fitted!!
For sure ! If the fork is opened at its top, it means that the air and oil within the fork will not be compressed at all, when the fork goes down.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm glad these are available as earlier a vendor had posted a comment that said it was just a bad rumor and they were not going to make them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ohlins apparently told their suppliers that they would not offer cartridge upgrades for the Scamblers. They didn't mention spring upgrades and caps.
LOL

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Nope, No cartridge from Ohlins. Just springs! Ohlins has a new cartridge coming to market for less expensive bikes but no application for the Scrambler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts