Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Took a test ride today and just ordered a 2018 Black Edition, personally love the retro styling. Took a Triumph scrambler out last week, Steve McQueen matt Khaki Green, and hated it tbh. No front brake, lacked power and wasn't keen on the position of the exhaust. Kept thinking it would burn my leathers and the bike felt a bit cheap and cheerful. Sorry of anyone has got one.
Anyway thought the build quality was superb on the Duc, well appointed (Brembo's) and dealer fitted spec'd extras free whereas Triumph were going to charge £90/hr! Gearbox silky smooth, lovely smooth throttle and turns in great. Road was semi wet but still had a lot of confidence in the Pirelli Scorpions (think that's stock?) tyres. The only downsides for me stock cans are to quiet and no gear shift indicator? Power's going to take a bit of getting used to (we all want more lol), ergo's are perfect for me (standing on pegs) and the front suspension needs a little softening as others have mentioned. Owned lots of bikes previously Gixxer 750 K8, Aprilia Dorsoduro Factory, Honda CRF250L, Big Bang R1, Gixxer 1000 L7, BMW S1000R. Looking to do a bit of light green laning in Surrey/Hamps on the DS so if anyone is clued up on the BOAT locations and is in the area be great to meet up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new model Street Scrambler has Brembo brakes. Sounds like you were riding a run out older model.
It was a new bike but definately the old model. Apparently lots of complaints from current owners so new model upgraded. Coming off bikes using 2 fingers with Brembo’s, definately a big shock pulling up from normal speed .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All Scramblers 800 have the same Brembo brakes.

Upgrading to EBC HH pads makes huge difference.
In the UK Brembo's - standard on the Ducati, Triumph current Scrambler no but coming on the new model. Regarding the EBC upgrade and the huge difference are you referring to the Duc? Personally I found the standards brakes pretty good.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
No Brembo's on the new model? Where did you get that information? I see the same trusty caliper we all have on our Scramblers...

View attachment 37697

Regarding pads, my DS came with factory FF-grade pads, I'm sure all our Scramblers do. Nothing wrong with that, but I felt they lacked feel and power if you need to brake harder. They required quite some lever pressure at high speed decelerations. Since I've switched to EBC HH pads I have better modulation, especially when I need to brake harder. The difference is really noticeable.

And as a bonus, my original pads started to "warp" or scour the disk after a few thousand miles, leading to pulsing, jerky braking especially at lower speeds. Since I switched to EBC, this effect has completely gone away. Still using the same original rotor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Brembo's on the new model? Where did you get that information? I see the same trusty caliper we all have on our Scramblers...

View attachment 37697

Regarding pads, my DS came with factory FF-grade pads, I'm sure all our Scramblers do. Nothing wrong with that, but I felt they lacked feel and power if you need to brake harder. They required quite some lever pressure at high speed decelerations. Since I've switched to EBC HH pads I have better modulation, especially when I need to brake harder. The difference is really noticeable.

And as a bonus, my original pads started to "warp" or scour the disk after a few thousand miles, leading to pulsing, jerky braking especially at lower speeds. Since I switched to EBC, this effect has completely gone away. Still using the same original rotor.
Apols for any confusion I was referring to the current Triumph Scrambler which has a Nissen caliper I think and is totally useless. Agree both 2018 and 19 Ducati Scramblers both have Brembo's. To many bikes named Scrambler for my liking. Interesting about the upgraded pads I'll see how mine go.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ooohhhhh sorry. My bad.
No probs :eek:ccasion14: Couple of questions does the 2018 have a gear shift indicator option within the dash settings? And does the seat simply unlatch or are there hidden fasteners to release and remove?

·
Registered
6 Posts
had the DS Black Edition for a few months now and cannot fault it, love the look of the bike and it fits me very well at 5 ft 9” and the ergonomics for standing up are spot on, have done a few tricky very muddy green lanes and will be out and about throughout the winter around the Peak District and Rutland.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
No probs :eek:ccasion14: Couple of questions does the 2018 have a gear shift indicator option within the dash settings? And does the seat simply unlatch or are there hidden fasteners to release and remove?
No gear shift indicator on the 2017 or 2018 DS or any Scrambler 800. This was introduced on the 2019 model. The seat simply unlatches with the lock under the seat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
had the DS Black Edition for a few months now and cannot fault it, love the look of the bike and it fits me very well at 5 ft 9” and the ergonomics for standing up are spot on, have done a few tricky very muddy green lanes and will be out and about throughout the winter around the Peak District and Rutland.
Hi Nozzer, ergos work really well for me to and I'm 6ft and I'm going to do same laning to. Hows the condition on yours standing up? I'm literally going to bath mine it in ACF50 before I start. I noticed on the demo the flick is really bad from the rear tyre which is probably going to get even worse as the dealer is fitting the Evotech tail tidy :evil7:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Scoobydo, covering the bike in ACF50 was the first thing I did. I like to look after my bikes but always intended to use the DS throughout the winter (if above 8’C and no ice) and do a few green lanes etc but yes the flick is bad so I think I’ll have a look for a rear hugger!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Scoobydo, covering the bike in ACF50 was the first thing I did. I like to look after my bikes but always intended to use the DS throughout the winter (if above 8’C and no ice) and do a few green lanes etc but yes the flick is bad so I think I’ll have a look for a rear hugger!
yeh I was going to the same and then lightly pressure wash it every so often, and cant find a hugger for it anywhere. I don't usually use ACF50 as I find it a bit sticky and difficult to remove but all the reports say it does a great job. The standard exhaust is a bit quiet for my liking so also looked at the high level Termi but the cost and looks put me off. Might fit the stubby Arrow at some point although its not warranted

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Scoobydo,

We might be relative neighbours, I live in Camberley and also want to explore the green lanes of Hants and Surrey, I found a byway map here https://www.bywaymap.com/index.html. I am an off-road noob and collect my brand new Black Edition this coming weekend and so I am super excited. Send me a PM if you want to meet up for a ride out together. I also have an S1000RR but I am looking forward to developing new skills.

Steve

Reactions: Scoobydo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Scoobydo,

We might be relative neighbours, I live in Camberley and also want to explore the green lanes of Hants and Surrey, I found a byway map here https://www.bywaymap.com/index.html. I am an off-road noob and collect my brand new Black Edition this coming weekend and so I am super excited. Send me a PM if you want to meet up for a ride out together. I also have an S1000RR but I am looking forward to developing new skills.

Steve
Hi Steve, I've sent you a PM.............I think? lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hiya, I'm in Ash and ride a ton of llanes in Surrey/Hants. I'd be more than happy to show you guys around, i need to get my Sled dirty at last.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hiya, I'm in Ash and ride a ton of llanes in Surrey/Hants. I'd be more than happy to show you guys around, i need to get my Sled dirty at last.
Hi Scutty, thats great I've added you to Ducati_Passion Steve and my conversation. Hopefully we can get something arranged :icon_thumleft:. Could be fun a group of DS's laning through the countryside with the odd refreshment stop in between :eek:ccasion14:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts