Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself and maybe become a permanent member here for years to come. I am a long time member of rennlist and rolex forum so I know a thing or two about online etiquette.
I just purchased my first“big bike” after 20 years of stop riding due to career and kids. But midlife crisis hit me hard when I bought my Honda Grom to test the water and my ability to control motor bike. I still have so much to learn about taking corner and lane position and much much more on road safety. I spent quite a bit of money on safety gears from premium helmet, jacket, shoes, gloves but no pants yet (should I?).
Ever since the scrambler came out in 2014 I was attracted to the design and obviously the Ducati as a brand. They kinda like exotic bikes compare to exotic cars but please correct me if I am wrong. As newbie to the brand and the bike, my instinct is to buy frame, front and rear sliders for protection in case I drop it. Please help me with brands and how easy is it to install these sliders. Is evotech a good brand?
Lastly I love the look of CR, it retro but modern and many safety features for new rider like me. I am about 5’7” and 145 lbs, am I able to put both feet on the ground without tipping toes? The reason I ask because I don’t have any CR locally and my bike is on the vessel shipping from AZ to Hawaii. Would love to hear advise and opinions for newbie like me.
Thank you and have a great day everyone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello, we're the same weight and height and this bike will fit you like a glove. EvoTech wheel spindles and the crash slider are great, but I can't recommend their skid plate and hand guard protectors as those are purely just for looks and won't hold up to any real crash protection. I'm using the Hepco & Becker crash bars and they have held up pretty well for off-roading and the abuse that comes with that, they will for sure protect your bike on accidental drops. I also have the EvoTech engine sliders but have not installed them yet.

Is there an official Ducati Dealer on your island? I recommend riding the hell out of your bike and enjoying it while you still have the full warranty. Not to say that these bikes are prone to issues, they have their quirks! There's tons of resource here if you're the DIY type. Hope you have a great time riding it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, we're the same weight and height and this bike will fit you like a glove. EvoTech wheel spindles and the crash slider are great, but I can't recommend their skid plate and hand guard protectors as those are purely just for looks and won't hold up to any real crash protection. I'm using the Hepco & Becker crash bars and they have held up pretty well for off-roading and the abuse that comes with that, they will for sure protect your bike on accidental drops. I also have the EvoTech engine sliders but have not installed them yet.

Is there an official Ducati Dealer on your island? I recommend riding the hell out of your bike and enjoying it while you still have the full warranty. Not to say that these bikes are prone to issues, they have their quirks! There's tons of resource here if you're the DIY type. Hope you have a great time riding it!
Thank you for your advise. It is assurance to know I won’t tipping toe on the bike. Also, how much lean forward position on these clip-on bar? I’ve been told riding position much more sportier than regular scrambler. I am asking the service department to install a riser about 2” on the handle bar for more comfort riding. Are you in a comfortable riding position on your CR? TIA.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found the stock riding position of the 2020 CR sporty without being cramped (I am 6'1" and 180 lbs). The bars (clip ons) have built-in risers. I lowered my clip ons by 4" and lowered the triple tree (or raised the forks, if you will) 2" to give the bike quicker turn in (it is surprisingly slow to turn) and a more aggressive stance (like a proper Cafe Racer should). I plan on installing some proper rear sets to move the pegs back and up a bit, and I'll probably lower the clip ons and raise the forks a bit more. I have Puig frame sliders, Evo Tech axel sliders and oil cooler cover. Some EBC sintered HH brake pads will also go a long way to keeping the rims clean and give you more stopping power (compared to the sad stock FF-rated Brimbo pads).

Congrats on your bike, and enjoy it. Lots of great parts for the Scramblers (oh, I also removed all traces of the word Scrambler from my Cafe Racer).

Oh, the wife and I also have Honda Groms (mine is set up for stunts, which is funny at my, um, age).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Grom always put a big smile on my face every time I take it out. I love take it up the mountain and enjoy the curvy roads. I think I made the right decision to start out with the GROM and work my way up to CR. I have a list of simple cosmetic mods to spice up the looks of the bike. Frame/axles sliders are must have and maybe foot pegs and exhaust. How did you remove all the lettering on the bike?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used a heat shrink gun and plastic pick (like a guitar pick). I then use Uni-Solve adhesive remover wipes to get rid of any sticky stuff left over. Uni-Solve will not hurt paint, plastic, metal, or skin. I use it on everything. That is how I removed my factory stickers on the frame too (and fork reflectors).

·
Registered
26 Posts
(oh, I also removed all traces of the word Scrambler from my Cafe Racer)
i also don't like the Scrambler references, but am at a loss at what to do with the emblem just below the keyhole. Have you removed it and replaced it with something?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i also don't like the Scrambler references, but am at a loss at what to do with the emblem just below the keyhole. Have you removed it and replaced it with something?

View attachment 46067
Not yet, but it is on my list to create a new bracket to hold the gauges lower and flatter to make it look more cafe'. I'll get rid of that reference once the new piece is created.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts