Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
2016 DUCATI SCRAMBLER ICON
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone has differing opinions & experiences with Ducati 800 series scramblers so here are mine. I own a 2016 Ducati Scrambler Icon w 4,800 miles on the clock which I purchased recently,,,,,very light, and love this machine. Attached r some pics of my bike w the Corsa Moto BC diamond stitch seat in brown I added which is a perfect 'exact fit', complete seat, was super ez to install in 30 seconds w just my ignition key, and now provides me w a very comfortable ride experience. If u r a new owner, and everything is in good working order, make sure you address these 7 important things;

1/If your bike has the stock seat, get rid of it fast. It's NOT comfortable. Period. I recommend u look at the following 'exact fit' aftermarket replacement 'COMPLETE SEATS', unless u r a DIY person which opens the door to 'kits' and custom seat creations, the best known brands are;

- The 'Corsa Moto BRITISH CUSTOMS diamond stitch seat' {complete seat}; COST: for the straight bench seat is USD $389 + shipping Available from: www.britishcustoms.com

-A CORBIN SEAT USD $450-up that would be an exact fit for your model www.corbinseats.com

-A SARGENT SEAT 'ditto' Expect to pay; USD $450 + www.sargentseats.com

-SEAT CONCEPTS kits & custom creations only, possible L lead time Expect to pay USD $250-up www.seatconcepts.com
*All 'Made in U.S.A' or 'CANADA' as far as I know,,,,,,

-A MUSTANG SEAT/Model: 'Tripper fastback one pc seat 75027/black'; {COMPLETE SEAT}. there is also two additional 'exact fit' complete seats from Mustang to fit your scrambler; 'Revere Journey' black/fog grey 74200'; 'Revere Journey/brown 74201'. Expect to pay USD $301 for the 75027 and around USD $359 for a 'Revere Journey black/fog grey 74200' or a 'Revere Journey brown 74201'. www.mustangseats.com Can 'exact fit' most scrambler icons, and certain other duc scrambler models. Buyer beware; I returned a Mustang Tripper Fastback 75027 in black, as I was not satisfied with the comfort it provided. Also on some seats I listed there are no elastic straps to hold the stock tool kit. No biggie; my tool kit fits in my jacket's pocket.

2/IF u reside in a hot climate location and deal w stop & go traffic situations, suggest u decrease your excessive heat coming off your R side pipes/header by 30-50% by having your pipes pro wrapped by your dealer using;
'DEI TITANIUM HEAT WRAP'; a 2" W x 50' roll is what is required from; Heat and Sound Insulation | Design Engineering Inc. type; '010127' into their search bar
COST FOR ROLL: USD $72 + shipping COST FOR: 12" STAINLESS STEEL CABLE TIES: $7.99 at; www.harborfreight.com
Note: My job of wrapping the pipes not shown in attached pics,,,,,,,

3/Have a DEALER inspect your 'SIDE STAND SENSOR' to make sure it's
functioning properly

4/Adjust the 5-6 position pre-load on your rear spring per your riding habits,,,,,,

5/Modify or change your 'HAND GRIPS',,,,,I added slip on, 'GRIP PUPPY' foam grips, resulted in a huge improvement,,,,,,COST: Around USD $25

6/Wear as much 'body armor' as u can afford. Purchase garments made/labeled specific to the climate you'll be riding in; i.e. 'hot summer weather', ect. If it's hot summer sunny days u r dealing with, and u do basic city commuting or street/road driving only, my fav brands I suggest are; 'TROY LEE DESIGNS',,,,Maybe look at
-Troy Lee Designs 7850 Short Sleeve 'armored' shirt, or, the -Troy Lee Designs 7855 long sleeve 'armored' shirt,,,,, There's a TLD armored vest too,,,,,BTW, so light these r as garments, u can wear your fav Ducati t shirt, or jersey right over them,,,,,Then add some armored shorts w hip, thigh & coxxyx armored pads. I wear armored shorts under my 'JOE ROCKET' armored M/C pants. For a DOT helmet I'm wearing a: DAYTONA CRUISER 3/4 OPEN FACE HELMET-GLITTER RED; very 'old-school' look too,,,,,,For m/c boots, I prefer the lace up ankle high brands w velcro strap closures to keep the laces secure; like the 'FORMA GENESIS NEON BOOTS'. Take your pick of 5,000 different brands/models, but my favs are;
-SEDICI PODIO BOOTS/$69.99; -FORMA GENESIS NEON BOOTS/$99.00; CORTECH CHICANE AIR SHOE/$109.95. All these have a bit rounder, roomier toe box than most other ankle boots. Hint; If u see 'HW' in a garment's description,, it stands for "Hot Weather",,,,,,,

7/Read your owner's manual and closely follow ALL the instructions therein,,,,,,very important; monitor your 'engine oil' level often through the spyglass, keep both brake fluid units full, keep your rear drive chain properly lubed w proper tension, and keep 36 psi 'cold' pressure in both ft & rear tires if solo riding wo much addition gear load; if riding w a heavy load & /or a passenger, put 42 psi cold temp in the rear tire, but leave ft tire at 36 psi cold temp,,,,,,,Use a min. grade of 90 octane non leaded fuel w no more than 10% ethanol,,,,,Do not overfill tank,,,,,

BEST OF LUCK

馃憤

Attachments

Registered
What's the deal with all the commas? Makes things hard to read. And, usually in the Internet realm, all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Also makes things hard to read.

-Bob

Reactions: neil

Registered
Well, formatting is hard to read, I agree. I'm not in agreement with the essence of the post. It's a great bike, for the price. Those who never rode other bikes with much less comfortable seats, much worse suspension, much more horrible grips, overheating much-much easier and at that cost more - those would complain about Scramblers. Enjoy and ride. I get a feeling that discussion starter rides some other bike, not Ducati Scrambler

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Nice post but you left out the front suspension. It鈥檚 the worst I have felt on a modern bike. Get it swapped out.
To date I have not yet put many miles on my icon, so I haven't found the front suspension as an issue so far. But if you say so, I am not disputing your comment regarding the front suspension. BTW, what model duc do u ride, what brand or OEM did u replace your stock ft. suspension with and what was the total cost for all the parts required in USD?
Ducati scrambler icon guy.

:cool:

Registered
Scrambler Icon MY20 in Orange
Like you say 'differing opinions & experiences', plus also condition of the bike, rider size and local weather.

Deals here in the UK have been very attractive so on a new MY20 which came with a datatag, I have FOUR locks when parked outside the house as insurance was a real problem due to crime levels in London. (It's also under two covers and sandwiched behind a parked car). MoniMoto tracker next.

Crash bobbins were my first addition, along with SW-Motech EVO Footrest Kit and I think a fender extender and a rear hugger next essentials, mostly due to our weather.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Like you say 'differing opinions & experiences', plus also condition of the bike, rider size and local weather.

Deals here in the UK have been very attractive so on a new MY20 which came with a datatag, I have FOUR locks when parked outside the house as insurance was a real problem due to crime levels in London. (It's also under two covers and sandwiched behind a parked car). MoniMoto tracker next.

Crash bobbins were my first addition, along with SW-Motech EVO Footrest Kit and I think a fender extender and a rear hugger next essentials, mostly due to our weather.

Registered
Scrambler Icon MY20 in Orange
Hey axe16699,

Interesting,,,,,,first, WHAT exactly are 'crash bobbins'? I've been searching to find a ft safety hwy bar wider than just an 'engine guard' to protect my leg(s) in a tip over or slow speed slide. Regarding the SW-Motech EVO Footrest kit, it's on my 'to do' list so since it's a bit expensive as u know, please mention how ez it was to install and, how do u like it? I've got their kit's pt # as: FRS.22.112.10001. Like the 360 degree adjustable feature and the rubber inserts. Near London, I've got some cousins i've never met in Offerton, Cheshire, Stockport UK. My cousin was Sam Wanamaker, Zoe's father,,,,,,,,,,
Crash bobbins? Crash protectors?: Ducati Scrambler 800 Crash Protection Bobbins 2015- Onwards EvoTech Performance

Footpegs very easy to install, just the wire spring is naturally strong and needs help back into its retaining hole. Really like them as I say far more grip in the wet and generally more comfortable. Part no. is FRS.22.112.10002 for the Evo. The no. you quote is for 'Ion', which I can't vouch for.

You should meet your cousins.

Registered
To date I have not yet put many miles on my icon, so I haven't found the front suspension as an issue so far. But if you say so, I am not disputing your comment regarding the front suspension. BTW, what model duc do u ride, what brand or OEM did u replace your stock ft. suspension with and what was the total cost for all the parts required in USD?

My 800 was a classic. I now have an 1100 standard but have fitted full Ohlins. The upgrade I did to the 800 was Maxton here in the U.K. They just do one fork leg with new internals at a cost of 拢300 but it鈥檚 well worth the outlay.

Registered
Have a 2016 Scrambler Classic that I bought new. Have put over 34,000 miles on it in a bit over 4 years. Love this bike. I鈥檓 not doing track days, and nothing gnarlier than a stone road or fire road. Many of my miles have been blasting around central Pa roads, but I鈥檝e also taken 2500 mile road trips to several destinations. I agree about the seat, and will be finally replacing mine as the stitching is wearing. But if you don鈥檛 like the bike, how it looks, how it handles, or whatever else, then change what you don鈥檛 like, or get another bike. I need a new clutc.

Registered

Around 600 - 900 USD for some adjustable front suspension w/o installation. Popular options are Andreani, K-tech, Nitron, Maxton, and Ohlins. Should come with springs spec'd for rider weight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Hey axe16699,

Interesting,,,,,,first, WHAT exactly are 'crash bobbins'? I've been searching to find a ft safety hwy bar wider than just an 'engine guard' to protect my leg(s) in a tip over or slow speed slide. Regarding the SW-Motech EVO Footrest kit, it's on my 'to do' list so since it's a bit expensive as u know, please mention how ez it was to install and, how do u like it? I've got their kit's pt # as: FRS.22.112.10001. Like the 360 degree adjustable feature and the rubber inserts.
My 800 was a classic. I now have an 1100 standard but have fitted full Ohlins. The upgrade I did to the 800 was Maxton here in the U.K. They just do one fork leg with new internals at a cost of 拢300 but it鈥檚 well worth the outlay.
[/Q

Thank you for your reply.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Have a 2016 Scrambler Classic that I bought new. Have put over 34,000 miles on it in a bit over 4 years. Love this bike. I鈥檓 not doing track days, and nothing gnarlier than a stone road or fire road. Many of my miles have been blasting around central Pa roads, but I鈥檝e also taken 2500 mile road trips to several destinations. I agree about the seat, and will be finally replacing mine as the stitching is wearing. But if you don鈥檛 like the bike, how it looks, how it handles, or whatever else, then change what you don鈥檛 like, or get another bike. I need a new clutc.
Thanks much for the reply.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Well, formatting is hard to read, I agree. I'm not in agreement with the essence of the post. It's a great bike, for the price. Those who never rode other bikes with much less comfortable seats, much worse suspension, much more horrible grips, overheating much-much easier and at that cost more - those would complain about Scramblers. Enjoy and ride. I get a feeling that discussion starter rides some other bike, not Ducati Scrambler
Your 'feeling' is incorrect,,,,,,discussion starter owns & rides a Duc scrambler,,,,,,posted photos are NOT photo's of someone else's ducati,,,,,,,I own the Ducati in the posted photos,,,,,

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
How much have you riden it? How do you have one?
Hi MAX KOOL,

I bought this pre-owned icon last dec. w 4,800 on the clock, test rode it at dealer in 30 degree weather for just one mile, liked it a lot and bought it very same day, knowing immediately the stock seat had to go asap,,,,,,,,now I'm satisfied after just sitting on the bike w the $450 delivered/MADE IN USA, 'British Customs' brown straight bench seat installed {photo's attached} at the dealership who is winter storing the bike for me, that once spring arrives in 2 weeks here and I start riding the duc, at the very least, my new bc seat will represent an improvement in overall riding comfort vs. the stock seat. Dealer is wrapping my R side pipes/header with a roll of DEI titanium heat wrap this week. $300 cost to me for parts + labor,,,,it's only money,,,,I simply don't care,,,,,,for me, it's worth the try,,,,,,,,Yes, I know, not logical but that's the way I am; impulsive,,,,,,,,Than more add-on toys are sure to come:
-sw-motech evo '360 degree' adj. w rubber inserts footrest kit/$157
-Dart light tint fly screen/ $125
-Looking for wide hwy bars to protect my legs in a slow speed slide, & not just engine crash bars/as far as I know, such bars do not exist and they would need to be custom made so giving up for now on that. BTW, I'm formerly from Marina Del Ray, CA, and Tucson, AZ.

Ride on,

Ducati scrambler icon guy

(y)

Attachments

Registered
I don鈥檛 know if it鈥檚 meant that way, but you write with a lot of authority while in fact you hardly know and/or have riden the bike.

And yes, not everyone likes the stock seat, you forgot to mention Nitroheads seat, from Japan. Good stuff.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I don鈥檛 know if it鈥檚 meant that way, but you write with a lot of authority while in fact you hardly know and/or have riden the bike.

And yes, not everyone likes the stock seat, you forgot to mention Nitroheads seat, from Japan. Good stuff.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Was not aware of all of the popular aftermarket seats, including the one you mentioned. I may have come across another replacement seat of seat kit called the 'Zard'.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts