Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I have enjoyed this forum and the wealth of information, discussion and opinions about the Scrambler. I am a new, 59 year old, rider. 5'10, average build. I live in flat Florida, and will be riding on city streets, highways (2 lane variety, not Interstates) and paved back roads. Nothing fancy. I just like the outdoors and will be riding around on pleasure jaunts with my camera. I have not yet test ridden the Scrambler, but intend to soon. The local dealer has an Icon available for that. Assuming I like the ride, are there any suggestions about considering the other models? In view of my riding profile, I assume the Enduro isn't for me. As to the Full Throttle, just how much lower are the handlebars, and thus the hand position than on the Icon? Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you. Cheers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
where are you in Florida ? I live near Sarasota.No scramblers available yet unless you go to one of the shows and you can actually see in person and sit on . I don't think any model will do you wrong

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am way younger at 58 and same height and all you said and will ride some easier dirt trails too.....I photo a lot as well (have a few Hobie mirage drive kayaks that are great to shoot from) but didn't think about that on the bike...higher handle bars may be the ticket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in Flagler Beach. The Daytona BMW/Ducati/Triumph dealership down the road has the Icon that I'm standing by in the image, below. I got the sense from the sales staff that while they are happy to receive my $1000 deposit and deliver me whichever model I order, there will be no Full Throttles, Classics or Urban Enduros on the floor to see/ride, anytime soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Of all the Ducatis the Scrambler is likely to be the most friendly for a novice rider, as well as being just what some of us more experienced "mature but still speedy" riders wanted. Lightweight, low seat height, comfortable riding position, modest but fully adequate hp, easy controls. Wear something bright, like a safety vest, lots of dangerous old folks in Florida that don't seem to see too well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im surprised they have an Icon .I didn't think anyone had them yet . The Full Throttles are scheduled for May .My dealer is getting 2 of them .Both are sold . Mine being the first and the other i believe one of the employees bought .

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Go for the Icon Scott, It's less expensive, You can modify or add stuff later if you wish, The wheels are cross spoked alloys and should be very strong and suit what you intend doing on it, It really is nice to ride,

You should get the Icon sooner too, :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I agree, Most of the other models are more style specific then anything, And as far as shooting is concerned are you planning on shooting as you ride? If not the handle bar position isn't going to matter. I don't really suggest using a camera while in motion on a motorcycle even though I have done so. I normally put mine on a shoulder strap around town at low speeds and pull over stop aim click while still on the saddle but in doing this the bar position doesn't come in to issue because I am not using them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I'm definitely not planning to use the camera while in motion. I was just wondering about the difference in height of the handlebars on Icon. vs. Full Throttle from a posture/seating perspective. Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The icon and Urban are going to sit almost completely vertical. The full throttle is going to pitch you quite a bit more forward from what I have read not just because they are lower but also not as wide. Sit upright in your desk chair with 2 pint glasses in front of you spread where you can rest your palms on the tops comfortable and take note of your elbow position, elbows should be mostly straight and pointed down. Now lay the pint glasses on their side without moving their placement or your chair or bottom. You should now have to lean forward 2 or so inches to place your palms on the glasses your elbows should now be pointed out allowing you to "tuck" even more for a more aggressive stance. This should give you an idea of the height difference.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I've only test ridden the Icon, we don't have the other models here in the UK yet either (as far as I know!). From the spec they all seem the same, just different in style, apart from the handlebars on the Full Throttle which are lower. I am only 5'3" a good 7" shorter than you, and am not sure if the Icon bars are a little too wide/high for me. I may well end up going for the lower bars but you may find the higher bars perfect for you :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The icon and Urban are going to sit almost completely vertical. The full throttle is going to pitch you quite a bit more forward from what I have read not just because they are lower but also not as wide. Sit upright in your desk chair with 2 pint glasses in front of you spread where you can rest your palms on the tops comfortable and take note of your elbow position, elbows should be mostly straight and pointed down. Now lay the pint glasses on their side without moving their placement or your chair or bottom. You should now have to lean forward 2 or so inches to place your palms on the glasses your elbows should now be pointed out allowing you to "tuck" even more for a more aggressive stance. This should give you an idea of the height difference.
So after you have had two pints you start thinking about a more aggressive riding style. Sounds about right.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ha.....good one.... "So after you have had two pints you start thinking about a more aggressive riding style. Sounds about right."

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Remember, handlebars are an easy swap; there's more aftermarket choices than you can shake a stick at.

Sarah

·
Registered
36 Posts
While everyone is different, I find a slightly leaning forward position to be much more comfortable on my back that the upright "standard" position. As you go over bumps, your back isn't pounded up and down if you are pitched slightly forward like it is when you sit up straight. When I went from a standard CB750 to a VFR, I was pleasantly surprised that my back was much happier. Your mileage may vary....

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
With the tall Icon handlebars we get more choices of changing their position, Making the bike more comfortable for YOU, I've tried a few different positions ,but returned to the original set up which is easy to do because the bars have centre pop marks for setting up, :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
A demo in Florida ? That's the first demo I've heard of in the US. You're a lucky guy. My yellow Icon is due next month and a demo ride would have been great to hold me over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts