Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Imgur
Hi, I recently bought a new FT and have put about 2k miles on it as a daily commuter, and absolutely love it.

Now I’m about the least mechanically inclined person I know, but I’ve noticed oil spots forming under the bike when I park it at home. I don’t see the spots forming at work, I don’t know if it’s the surface not showing the spots or being in a garage/less outdoors resulting in less of a leak.

It seems to be running fine and no maintenance lights are coming on. Is this something I should take it into the dealer to look at, or is this expected for a new bike? Is there anywhere on the bike I should be checking out to see if there’s a problem?

Thanks for any help! Sorry if I’m not giving enough info, I’m fairly new to motorcycles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi,

Have your dealer look at it ASAP, probably a very small issue (defective seal) but not to leave unattended, especially if it is spilling on higher parts of the engine (timing belts..) while driving at high speed, or if you notice oil spots under the bike: you don't want to drop it because of your front wheel unexpectedly losing adherence when parking on some surfaces (tiles) where a very small droplet of oil can become very dangerous ;-)

Valentin

·
Registered
978 Posts
Put a piece of cardboard under the bike when you park it at home and then if there are oil spots on it look directly above the spots before you move the bike to see where the oil is coming from.
In 2018 bikes do not leak oil so most likely it is something like the filter not tightened correctly or one of the oil drains not tightened correctly. I would not be overly concerned it it is just the odd drop nothing will happen to the engine (keep an eye on the level in the sight glass though) and the odd drop of oil will not cause you to loose control and crash and die. It does definitely need to be fixed and it is a warranty issue but finding the source before you go to the dealer will make things much easier when you can say "there is the leak" rather than "I think there is oil coming from somewhere".

·
Registered
292 Posts
so most likely it is something like the filter not tightened correctly or one of the oil drains not tightened correctly
This is where I would lay my money, and where I would check first.
When I had my 600mi service done at my dealer they didn't torque the oil filter enough, and it backed off juuuuust enough to leak a little oil. Easy fix.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Maybe the drops of oil are chain lube?

As above place some cardboard under it and identify where the oil is coming from before you worry..

Who does your chain maintenance if you are not mechanical?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this issue. Turns out the gasket for the front shaft had an issue. Quick fix but took 3 weeks for that part just to come in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue at around the same mileage, my bike is and has been at the dealership for 2weeks now and they have not located the leak yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had that leak and tightened and tightened (over time) and yesterday pulled it apart. In my 50 plus years have never had an oil filter leak, and now I cannot say that anymore. The problem is the filter. Put a new chrome wix on and no issue.

Seems like a quality control issue at the plant that manufactures the filters for Ducati. Fat chance on getting a refund on the filter eh? They should pay for washing my motor too. AAARGH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts