Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*editing to include a discount code I was given by my contact for 10% off on acdracingusa.com - the discount code is PROTECT10 (like protection, get it?馃ぃ)

By now we all know that the aftermarket selection for bash/skid plates is pretty slim for our scramblers, especially when you consider that almost all of them use the actual engine as a mounting place for the skid plates.

I saw a social media post of a Desert Sled with a legit bash plate and found out it was made by ACD Racing out of Spain. Based on the pictures it looked to be mounted to the frame and not the engine, and offered actual coverage.

It is not available for purchase online yet as it is a new product for them and they are just rolling it out in production. I emailed them and they connected me with one of their US distributors who basically said that yes it is rolling out for sale, and they already had the first few units being sent to the US, but haven鈥檛 gotten them listed yet.

They are working on building me a discount code that I can share, but at this time I am not sure what the discount amount will be.

The guy I have been talking to, Michael, said the tentative MSRP for these will be $450 for the black powder coated option, but I didn鈥檛 get a price for the aluminum coating. That puts the price about 1/2 of the BJ鈥檚 (fasthouse guys) bash plate at $900, and as far as I know all the rest of the options bolt to the engine, like the evotech or iconic parts skidplate ~$200.

Automotive tire Automotive design Gear Automotive exterior Rim

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Helmet Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

I am excited, I think this is gonna fill a gap in the market that is desperately needed that provides actual protection mounted to the frame, but at a significantly lower price point than the BJ鈥檚 Manufacturing skidplate.

I will post more details once I have them, stay tuned for where you can order them and the discount code!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks like they may also be promoting it as a solid jack location too
Honestly these aren鈥檛 marketing photo鈥檚 they shared with me - These are pictures from the instagram of the guy who hired ACD to custom make the bash plate for his desert sled for a rally event in Spain earlier this year. He has a blog and does some pretty cool stuff (TrailDreamer).

I鈥檓 sure that there will be slight tweaks to the final design once it comes out in production, but yeah it should be able to work just fine as a jack/lift base.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I finally have time for an update. I got the skid plate a few weeks back but just finished installing it this morning. Still need to put some pieces back together on the bike but I had to stop to get ready for work.

Initial thoughts, it is very strong, mounts to the frame and not the engine, should provides good airflow. I did have to go and buy two new bolts because the design called for re-using the OEM frame bolts to mount one of the rear brackets, but the piece was too thick and the original bolts weren鈥檛 long enough to catch any threads.

I also believe that this was cut/designed using the new euro emission standard exhaust because here in the states we still have the exhaust springs and the plate contacts the 鈥渓oop鈥 for the spring.

Ready for a picture dump?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Wood

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Bicycle Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel Helmet

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are the bolts I needed to replace with longer ones. The OEM bolts are 50mm and just barely don鈥檛 grab any threads, so I got m10x1.50 - 60mm stainless steel bolts from the hardware store and they are perfect. You don鈥檛 need threads on the entire bolt, just the last 15-20 mm.
Automotive tire Crankset Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks awesome!

Unfortunately, it looks incompatible with a center stand.
I just looked at some of your posts with pictures of your bike, and it is hard to tell but I almost think it could work. Or if not, it would be very close and you could probably notch out the back of the skid plate where the center stand 鈥渓egs鈥 drop down. Do you have any pictures from under your bike of where the center stand mounts? Here is a reference photo of how far back the skid plate goes.
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Automotive design Rim

Registered
Okay, I finally have time for an update. I got the skid plate a few weeks back but just finished installing it this morning. Still need to put some pieces back together on the bike but I had to stop to get ready for work.

Initial thoughts, it is very strong, mounts to the frame and not the engine, should provides good airflow. I did have to go and buy two new bolts because the design called for re-using the OEM frame bolts to mount one of the rear brackets, but the piece was too thick and the original bolts weren鈥檛 long enough to catch any threads.

I also believe that this was cut/designed using the new euro emission standard exhaust because here in the states we still have the exhaust springs and the plate contacts the 鈥渓oop鈥 for the spring.

Ready for a picture dump?

View attachment 50335
View attachment 50342
View attachment 50338
View attachment 50341
View attachment 50343
View attachment 50340
View attachment 50334
View attachment 50336
View attachment 50337
View attachment 50339
Damn this looks really good. I want it. Too bad they didn鈥檛 design it around hepco and becker crash bars (other other brands).

I have a DS and those are a must for me since I primarily built it for offer road so I know I鈥檓 probably gonna drop the bike a lot. Kudos though!!

I have another solution that I鈥檓 working on and will post when I get around to doing it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update: the skid plate is low listed online for sale on ACDRacingUSA.com and my contact gave me a discount code for 10% off your order, the promo code is PROTECT10

Raw aluminum skid plate cost= $415 (-$41.50=$373.50)
Black powder coated cost = $452 (-$45.20=$406.80)

originally I thought it was going to just be a discount promo for the Desert Sled skid plate, but now I think it is 10% off anything on the site which would be cool if you have multiple bikes to get protection for.

I feel weirdly invested in this even though I don鈥檛 work for the company. I put so much time into finding out who made it was when I first saw a picture of the prototype, and finding out who to contact and setting up my order and pushing them to get the website live鈥 It was cool that they offered to create the discount code that I could share with no limitations. I feel like a social media influencer! (Gotta get my bikini body ready for my photo shoot with the new skid plate haha)

alright, end rant. Enjoy the discount everyone. This shouldn鈥檛 expire, so future searches that find this thread should be able to use it as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts