Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would hope they keep it on par with the current one. The current one is about 13k, I'm in the US, all done and said (Destination fee and sometimes dealers charge a prep fee I'm seeing). But that is never the case, so I'd guess maybe $14.5k?? They can't go up too much though, else they are into the KTM world. A KTM 890 Adventure is about $14k right now. So picking between the two, for example, you really (like really really really) have to love Ducati to pick a Sled over a KTM in my opinion if the price is over 14k. KTM vs Sled options is a world of difference. If you are really into Adventure riding, it's nice to have the option, but Ducati has to deliver too, fully. I'm not a BMW fan, so no comment. And then there is the famous Africa Twin, getting near to it at price... what else is out there? YamahaTenere 700...

And with others, the service manual is available right over the website right away or from the dealer, with no issues. (I'm honestly disappointed I cannot get a service manual for my '21 Icon. It's a real Ducati turnoff to me. I can't find basic info, like torque setting for bolts. Not like I'm going to do a valve job, but just to know basica things. Ducati is failing all customers here. Sell us the full manuals Ducati! - sorry just bugs me :) )

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes very looking forward to have this bike in fleet. I am curious about the price for this bike. What are you thoughts?
Significantly more than a Scrambler. My guess 20-25%.
This bike is NOT a Scrambler it has the same water cooled 937cc Testastretta engine as the Multistrada 950 has along with all the associated electronics. The price will be way closer to the Multi 950 price than the Scrambler Desert Sled price.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I would hope they keep it on par with the current one. The current one is about 13k, I'm in the US, all done and said (Destination fee and sometimes dealers charge a prep fee I'm seeing). But that is never the case, so I'd guess maybe $14.5k??
Did you read my reply to your original post? The bike is NOT a Scrambler and it will NOT be priced anywhere near a Scrambler price. The price will be close to whatever a Multistrada 950 costs where you live.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
And with others, the service manual is available right over the website right away or from the dealer, with no issues. (I'm honestly disappointed I cannot get a service manual for my '21 Icon. It's a real Ducati turnoff to me. I can't find basic info, like torque setting for bolts. Not like I'm going to do a valve job, but just to know basica things. Ducati is failing all customers here. Sell us the full manuals Ducati! - sorry just bugs me :) )
I know there are differences but there's a good 2015> workshop manual out there, in fact, there's probably a link on this site. Would they not share the same basic torque settings (apart from a possible correction to the sump-plug torque which I think they over-cooked in the earlier docs)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did see that link, thanks @Deano968 👍. It wouldn’t open for me though. Plus it looks like maybe in 2018 the scrambler got a lot of updates. I’m just not sure though, but thanks. I looked up Haynes will go with 2020 one once the printed versions are available again.

@K1W1, right, see what you mean thanks. So there will be the Desert Sled (entry off road), thus new DesertX (midrange option?) and Multi Enduro (top of the line?) maybe? So many nice choices!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I did see that link, thanks @Deano968 👍. It wouldn’t open for me though. Plus it looks like maybe in 2018 the scrambler got a lot of updates. I’m just not sure though, but thanks. I looked up Haynes will go with 2020 one once the printed versions are available again.
The only real changes to the Scrambler line are cosmetic and electrical so things like torque settings for bolts (who uses them?) or chain tension settings or the such things will not have changed.
I have a copy of the manual for the early bikes it is about 32MB. If you want it send me a private message with your email address and I will send you a Dropbox link. Don't get to excited though its not like a Haynes manual.

@K1W1, right, see what you mean thanks. So there will be the Desert Sled (entry off road), thus new DesertX (midrange option?) and Multi Enduro (top of the line?) maybe? So many nice choices!
[/QUOTE]

Not really. The DesertX is more like a Tenere 700 or a KTM 890 Adventure from the info released so far. It is supposed to have a definite off road bias whereas the Desert Sled and Multistradas any version even the Enduro 1100 from a few years ago) really have at best an all roads bias. The fact that Ducati are marketing it as a DesertX rather than as a Scrambler or Multi indicates that they do not think it fits in either of those categories. I suspect one thing about it will be that it will not be suitable for those who are vertically challenged.
As the Multi 950 ( or V2 as the call it now) has a 19" wheel and a spoked wheel option I think that better suits your mid range option above. The DesertX will sit out to the off road side of that bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ll send you a PM, thank you! Good points. Tenere 700 or a KTM 890 Adventure, tough competition to take on. I hope Ducati can pull it off. The 700 Tenere here is around $10k I think and about $14k for the KTM, if you can find one. Can’t wait to see this new DesertX. Sadly I’m one of them vertically challenged people thus the Icon, at least for now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@K1W1, thank you! Been looking through the pdf this morning and yeah, the newer '21 is a bit different but good for what I need. @Deano0968 - Exactly! Done it too many times, stripped threads are no fun.

So I looked up the KTM and Tenere, and then the Africa Twin. I mean wow, if Duc is taking on these bikes it better be good and hope they are in for the long haul. My friend has an older, '14?, KTM 1290 and man, the bike is beast. We call it "The Tank" but it's amazing on the road too. He whips it around corners like a sport bike, then just turns in the dirt like it's a dirt bike. Pretty amazing to see.

Interesting to just see them all lined up (I didn't put the Duc Enduro in or other overpriced bikes - they don't fit this class IMO, like BMW or the Harley)....

Land vehicle Helmet Tire Wheel Motorcycle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motocross Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
65 Posts
DesertX is going to have a 21" front wheel. It has dual fuel tanks. The chassis is completely new and not based on the scrambler line. This appears to be a significant investment by Ducati, not a dressed up DS. Think the Alaskan, and other custom designs. The 950 motor is larger than the tenere and KTM 890, which, IMO both have more compromises and need upgrading to suit my needs. I'm expecting DSX pricing to be $16,595 USD. Right between the MTS v2 and v2S.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi!

Yes, was thinking more about the price, probably will be around there... we will know soon! I also wonder if the aftermarket will embrace it. Time will tell.

What is this "Alaskan" custom? If it's what I may be remembering, struggling to remember, it's a very very expensive bike from a place near me (NH). Googled and got nothing related to bikes.

Curious about the KTM comment related to compromises - what would you upgrade exactly?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts