Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Been reading the under seat USB only provides 1Amp .. I'm looking to install something to power my phone and I'm probably going to install a camera as well.

I've bought this ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H53QE8G

Question is .. can I just splice this into current power for USB socket to make sure the new socket is only powered when ignition on?
I don't want the power on all the time as likely camera will be mounted permanently and set to autostart when power comes on.

Also, wiring diagram shows two leads to USB:
Red/Black & Black/Green - I presume the Red/Black is positive??
Page 185
https://scramblerducati.com/immagini/manual//Scrambler800_GBR_MY15_ED00.pdf

Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I installed this:
Presentation1.jpg

for the same purpose and connected it direct to the battery because it has an on/off switch. But I see your unit has the same kind of plug as used by battery tenders, so why not just unplug it when not in use? Just an idea.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice gadget - certainly covers all the bases.
Good point on the connector ... could be a fall back option as suggested. Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did you remove the tank to fit it?
Nope. I just routed the wires around the front of the tank and then along the underside next to the frame. And I made use of the existing rubber ties all the way to the battery. It took me about 15 minutes to install including the mount on the handle bar. Be careful not to pinch the units' fuse box between the triple clamp and the frame. That was my only problem. It broke the little fuse box and left me without my GPS way out in nowhere.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nope. I just routed the wires around the front of the tank and then along the underside next to the frame. And I made use of the existing rubber ties all the way to the battery. It took me about 15 minutes to install including the mount on the handle bar. Be careful not to pinch the units' fuse box between the triple clamp and the frame. That was my only problem. It broke the little fuse box and left me without my GPS way out in nowhere.
Thanks for that. Do you use the "cigarette lighter" holder?

·
Registered
140 Posts
As you can see in the picture above, I use the "cigarette lighter" holder for the GPS. I use one USB slot for charging my phone and the other for charging my vape device. It works really well because it has a 5V/2.1A output and charges quick. I've been using it for more than a year with no ill effects on the bikes' battery. At first I was worried that it might not be water proof but it went through several rain showers and bike washes without a problem.

(I have no affiliation with the company that sells this device. Your millage may vary.)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
As you can see in the picture above, I use the "cigarette lighter" holder for the GPS. I use one USB slot for charging my phone and the other for charging my vape device. It works really well because it has a 5V/2.1A output and charges quick. I've been using it for more than a year with no ill effects on the bikes' battery. At first I was worried that it might not be water proof but it went through several rain showers and bike washes without a problem.

(I have no affiliation with the company that sells this device. Your millage may vary.)
Ah I see now it's two pictures in one. I thought it was a bit odd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts