Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I have put over 500 miles on our sled already. Nice!

So, what about oil changes. Book says it has to be done by dealer. It doesn’t even tell you the oil filter that is needed.

Is an oil change a DIY thing?

·
Registered
889 Posts
first oil change is by 620 miles. Yes is DIY.
Keep in mind that the Service Indicator warning will come up on the dash. I'm not sure how easy that is to reset yourself if you do your own oil change. I always cop it on the chin and let the dealer do the first change and make sure that they also correct any other issues I may have picked up while they are at it.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Wife and I have put over 500 miles on our sled already. Nice!

So, what about oil changes. Book says it has to be done by dealer. It doesn’t even tell you the oil filter that is needed.

Is an oil change a DIY thing?
Oil and filter changes are DIY but resetting the service indicator is not, Dealer only without special equipment to do it.
The 1st service should be done by the dealer anyway as it also includes safety checking all critical bolt torques and the all important firmware update if there is any.
Another point you should know is, if you make the mistake of going in early for the 1st service ie. (before the light comes on). The dealer may not be able to reset it therfor it will light up shortly after your visit the dealer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, you can DIY the service for the Scrambler just like you can any other bike.

In the USA, the manufacturer can't require you to have the service done by them. They can require that you provide proof it was done (in the form of receipts) if you make a warranty claim, but they can't require that they be the ones to do it.

As far as resetting the service indicator, you can do that yourself if you have a Rexxer Evo user unit, which many of us buy to flash the bike when we get an exhaust or the like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got mine used. 2017 with 1094 mikes on it. I’ve put 1000 miles on it in the two weeks I have had it. How much do oil changes usually cost?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Depends on what else you ask them to do.

Between $125 to $150 incl parts, labor and tax makes sense to me, but if you ask them to "look it over while you're at it" it can easily double.

However, if it's just an oil change, why not DIY?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts