Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I got my used 2017 desert sled. They gave me one key and said no biggie, you can get another from the parts department. I talked to them and they told me you can’t get replacement keys, you have to get a new “switch.” They said it was about $300. I am guessing five with installation.

Really? Is that the only option?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
They should give you a second, paired key, period

As far as I know any new key has to be "paired" or programmed to the lock by your dealer

·
Registered
889 Posts
They should give you a second, paired key, period

As far as I know any new key has to be "paired" or programmed to the lock by your dealer
I seem to recall the dealer saying to us that there was a master key and a slave key. If you have the master you can pair another one. If you only have the slave you need a whole new assembly. I know he was quite adament about making sure not to loose a key.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I just spoke with our Ducati dealer. I was incorrect.
If you have ONE original key they can copy it and make a duplicate. If you loose both keys you need a whole new lock and key combination. Going back to the OP's problem it sounds to me like his dealer is either being lazy or is trying to extract unnecessary money from his wallet.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just spoke with our Ducati dealer. I was incorrect.
If you have ONE original key they can copy it and make a duplicate. If you loose both keys you need a whole new lock and key combination. Going back to the OP's problem it sounds to me like his dealer is either being lazy or is trying to extract unnecessary money from his wallet.
they just want to make extra moneyyyy...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe as long as you know the pin Ducati can program a new key if you have lost both.

It’s in the manual somewhere.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I was told pretty much the same as K1W1.

I was given two keys when I bought the bike, one had a red sleeve over the business end.

I was told to guard this 'red key' with my life; it was the master and without it replacement keys would cost me a small fortune. I obviously know my PIN but that wasn't mentioned with reference to the keys. Not saying the dealer was right but that's what I was told.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was told pretty much the same as K1W1.

I was given two keys when I bought the bike, one had a red sleeve over the business end.

I was told to guard this 'red key' with my life; it was the master and without it replacement keys would cost me a small fortune. I obviously know my PIN but that wasn't mentioned with reference to the keys. Not saying the dealer was right but that's what I was told.
Your dealer was (are you ready for this? It shouldn't be a surprise by now with wherever you bought it given all of the other stuff you've posted) totally wrong about that.

The red sleeve over the spare key is just a protector sleeve. There is nothing magical about that key and they are both completely the same.

All of this "master key, spare key, red key, black key" (say it with me, Dr. Seuss) misunderstanding junk is a holdover from the days when Ducatis shipped with three keys - two black keys, and a magical "red key." The red one was the master key and you needed it if you ever wanted to be able to reprogram a new black key to work with the bike's immobilizer. It was a stupid system because if you ever misplaced the single red key you were screwed, so Ducati stopped using it. The process was introduced with the 999 / 749 (I think) and while I'm not entirely sure when exactly they discontinued it I think it was somewhere in the 2010-ish timeframe.

Anyways, the important thing is that there is no more "red key" master key system with Ducatis. Both keys you get now are the same, and they'll both work to program new keys. As long as you have one, you're fine.

·
Registered
889 Posts
All of this "master key, spare key, red key, black key" (say it with me, Dr. Seuss) misunderstanding junk is a holdover from the days when Ducatis shipped with three keys - two black keys, and a magical "red key." The red one was the master key and you needed it if you ever wanted to be able to reprogram a new black key to work with the bike's immobilizer. It was a stupid system because if you ever misplaced the single red key you were screwed, so Ducati stopped using it. The process was introduced with the 999 / 749 (I think) and while I'm not entirely sure when exactly they discontinued it I think it was somewhere in the 2010-ish timeframe.

Anyways, the important thing is that there is no more "red key" master key system with Ducatis. Both keys you get now are the same, and they'll both work to program new keys. As long as you have one, you're fine.
That is pretty much exactly what my dealer said yesterday when I talked to him. BTW our spare key has no red sleeve simply a wrap of cardboard around the metal part.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that the dealer was wrong but -

"(are you ready for this? It shouldn't be a surprise by now with wherever you bought it given all of the other stuff you've posted)".

What's all the other stuff I've posted?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Oh, sorry.... I thought you were Phil, who has posted several totally incorrect things that his dealer has said to him in the past. I need to read more carefully who I am replying to.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
But back to the OP, I'd get pissed at the sales guy. The fact that they don't have the second key is not_your_problem. Let them fix it. You didn't exactly buy a 10 year old dog without a history from a private person....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts