Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I sold my last motorcycle a few years back and have been looking at getting a new one lately. My local Ducati dealer has a new 2018 special that is $5000 knocked off the price right now. I really like the scramblers, and was going to get an Icon, but that's a great price. The issue I have is that i'm short, 5'6" with a 29"-30" inseam. The Icon is very comfortable to sit on, but the special sits a tad higher and has lower bars. Can you swap out the Special bars with the standard Icon bars? And the dealer told me they could lower the shock but I would prefer to keep the comfort level as is, and maybe replace with after market shock that could lower the seat height maybe 1". Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks

I'm not the most experienced rider, had my last bike (which was my first) for two years before selling it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I own the 1100 special. 2 very different bikes.
Shave down the seat of thr 1100 if you do want a powerful street bike or get the Icon if you want a very light & easy one. I Chose the special with taller handlebar from cnc racing and ohlins at the rear for great response , but with no wide experience the icon is a better choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. The reason why I was looking at the 1100 special is because it's a 2018 model so is marked low enough to be comparable to the icon at my local shop. One thing I've heard is those on the icon that, while they like it, feel after a little while they wished it had a little more power, and the 1100 fills that need. I do like the Icon, but that color scheme, not so much. Again, thanks for your response.

·
Registered
43 Posts
<snip>The Icon is very comfortable to sit on, but the special sits a tad higher and has lower bars. Can you swap out the Special bars with the standard Icon bars? And the dealer told me they could lower the shock but I would prefer to keep the comfort level as is, and maybe replace with after market shock that could lower the seat height maybe 1". Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks
Two considerations in changing handlebars: The 1100 Scrambler uses a "fat" 1 1/8" diameter in the center area where it attaches to the triple clamps. Whatever bars you replace them with (Icon or aftermarket), they have to be the same diameter in that area. The second consideration is the difference in width and height of the replacement and Scrambler bars. And that's because you don't want to exceed the available length of clutch/brake hoses, electrical control wires on the bike. You can remove the clamps from the Scrambler bars, lift the bars up and away from the clamps and measure the distance they will move from the clamps to get an estimate of the distance higher/wider the replacement handlebars can be. If cost is not a concern, you can buy a longer clutch hose (Scrambler brake hoses are pretty long) and have electrical cables lengthened.

As for the dealer lowering the shock to lower seat height, I'm not clear on what that would entail or why it would affect your comfort. But if you are satisfied it's not the way to go, then that's out. However, changing over to an aftermarket shock absorber is very costly and without professional guidance can create more problems than it fixes. I recommend buying a factory low seat (about $250 on-line) to get an inch lower seat height. I have a 32" inseam and bought a factory "comfort" seat for my Standard 1100 and can assure you the foam density is identical (like concrete) in both seats, so there is no difference in comfort provided by the foam in either seat. In my case, the comfort comes from the seat being an inch higher, allowing my knee angle to open up. I still had to embed a 20mm thick gel pad into the foam, under the seat cover to give my butt any comfort. But that's just me. If you like the stock seat foam, you will like the low seat foam.
Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two considerations in changing handlebars: The 1100 Scrambler uses a "fat" 1 1/8" diameter in the center area where it attaches to the triple clamps. Whatever bars you replace them with (Icon or aftermarket), they have to be the same diameter in that area. The second consideration is the difference in width and height of the replacement and Scrambler bars. And that's because you don't want to exceed the available length of clutch/brake hoses, electrical control wires on the bike. You can remove the clamps from the Scrambler bars, lift the bars up and away from the clamps and measure the distance they will move from the clamps to get an estimate of the distance higher/wider the replacement handlebars can be. If cost is not a concern, you can buy a longer clutch hose (Scrambler brake hoses are pretty long) and have electrical cables lengthened.

As for the dealer lowering the shock to lower seat height, I'm not clear on what that would entail or why it would affect your comfort. But if you are satisfied it's not the way to go, then that's out. However, changing over to an aftermarket shock absorber is very costly and without professional guidance can create more problems than it fixes. I recommend buying a factory low seat (about $250 on-line) to get an inch lower seat height. I have a 32" inseam and bought a factory "comfort" seat for my Standard 1100 and can assure you the foam density is identical (like concrete) in both seats, so there is no difference in comfort provided by the foam in either seat. In my case, the comfort comes from the seat being an inch higher, allowing my knee angle to open up. I still had to embed a 20mm thick gel pad into the foam, under the seat cover to give my butt any comfort. But that's just me. If you like the stock seat foam, you will like the low seat foam.
Bill
Thanks for your response. I thought of maybe having the dealer shave down the seat. That might get me .75" to 1" lower. Have you ever had something like that done? I also thought of having spacers installed on the bars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for your response. I thought of maybe having the dealer shave down the seat. That might get me .75" to 1" lower. Have you ever had something like that done? I also thought of having spacers installed on the bars.
As it happens, I once cut down one of those 80's king and queen seats to make a cafe racer seat for a Yamaha XS650. The cutting down process was easy (used an electric knife and glue to build up the new hump) but I had to take the seat to an upholster to get a new cover made. Most likely, a dealer wouldn't have anyone with the skill to make a new cover (if needed) so they'd take the seat to an upholstery shop too. Personally, I'd just ask the dealer's service guy for his recommendation on a good place to have that done -- and save yourself the extra cost of having the dealer as middleman. Plus, you could speak to the upholsterer directly and tell him what you need in the way of comfort/height.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For spacers, check out the Rox Speed FX company https://roxspeedfx.com/ They manufacture in the US, good quality and a great selection of styles and height choices. I favor the Rox Elite pivoting risers because they can be used to move the bars back as well as up. Again, be sure the cables and wires will reach to the maximum of the risers or expect to do a lot more work at greater cost than the risers alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts