Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ducati have previewed that the “next generation” Scrambler will be released shortly as part of WDW.
My pick is that it will have a water cooled engine.

·
Registered
Scrambler Icon (2015); Monster M900ie (2002); Triumph T100T Daytona (1967)
47 Posts
I hope not! Call me old-fashioned, but the air-cooled engine is one of the key attractions to me. But I'd have thought that reports from those who have apparently seen it at WDW would have mentioned it? For example, You can't see the new Ducati Scrambler yet but you can already read it here! seems to suggest it's largely a restyling exercise plus maybe some engine modes, but there's no mention of watercooling?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont think so. I think the water cooled neo retros are plentiful with the xsr, trident, cb650 and probably a few more. In saying that, it would be fucken cool if they put the 110hp testastretta engine in the pro model.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope not! Call me old-fashioned, but the air-cooled engine is one of the key attractions to me. But I'd have thought that reports from those who have apparently seen it at WDW would have mentioned it? For example, You can't see the new Ducati Scrambler yet but you can already read it here! seems to suggest it's largely a restyling exercise plus maybe some engine modes, but there's no mention of watercooling?
That is press release from Ducati by another name. There is no mention of the engine at all as saying anything about it would give the game away.
The fact remains that air cooled engines are having huge difficulty meeting new emissions regulations. Even Moto Guzzi and Harley Davidson are moving towards water cooling. The Scrambler will have to go to water cooling at some stage if not now certainly within the next two years - unless of course Ducati drop the range entirely which is unlikely as it makes up a significant part of their overall sales volumes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Excited to see what they do with the line... the scrambler is Ducati's most "accessible" bike, and I really hope they give it the love it deserves. I'm curious how water cooling would effect the overall look and proportions of the bike. Scramblers have a pretty iconic nimble/narrow look, hopefully a radiator wouldn't add too much bulk. Very interesting concept with the swappable gas tank panels.. apparently not only changing color but shape too. Since they've basically been doing that themselves for the last 7 years with the plastics on the current bike, I wonder how they'll handle yearly model updates. New sets of plastics each year maybe?

·
Registered
158 Posts
That is press release from Ducati by another name. There is no mention of the engine at all as saying anything about it would give the game away.
The fact remains that air cooled engines are having huge difficulty meeting new emissions regulations. Even Moto Guzzi and Harley Davidson are moving towards water cooling. The Scrambler will have to go to water cooling at some stage if not now certainly within the next two years - unless of course Ducati drop the range entirely which is unlikely as it makes up a significant part of their overall sales volumes.
Have to agree with, @K1W1, meeting the Euro 5 requirements with an air-cooled motor already meant jumping through all kinds of hoops. Many of the engine issues experienced with the newer bikes is a direct result of this. I am afraid that the writing is on the wall for our beloved air-cooled lumps. The best solution if you really want one is to get an older bike and hang onto it. If the Scrambler doesn't get a water cooled motor this time around, it will most surely get one in the next iteration.

Frankly, the way the rules are changing and the fact that you can now effectively no longer touch the ECU means that for most of us a pre-2022 bike is the only real solution.

·
Registered
231 Posts
More about the look of the Testastretta engines I think. They are best covered in fibreglass. At least Triumph made the water-cooled twins look much the same. The size of the 4 valvers might be a problem too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Scrambler Icon (2015); Monster M900ie (2002); Triumph T100T Daytona (1967)
47 Posts
Chris Northover of Bike World describes the new Scrambler shown at WDC ... No mention of watercooling, but confirms ride-by-wire and engine modes, clip-on tank panels etc. ...

Hard to believe he wouldn't have mentioned a major engine change?

·
Registered
23 Posts
In a german scrambler facebook group, a user described what he saw at the "World Ducati Week". He said they showed the new scrambler in a tent. No cameras or smartphones were allowed.
This it what he saw:

• NO changes at the motor (still air-cooled).
  • New round headlight. Full LED. With cross.
  • New dashboard. Screen rectangular and colored.
  • Fork adjustable.
  • Ignition lock further forward and more lateral.
  • Cables front high above headlights are omitted. Tidy appearance.
  • New side panels tank. Metal insert aluminum on top of the tank.
  • New side parts under the seat now right and left the same.
  • Swingarm new, as the shock is now almost in the middle.
  • New exhaust guide. Only manifold of the horizontal cylinder still passes the engine on the right.
  • Rear exhaust goes directly into the header.
  • Pretty slip-on.
  • Around back, very similar to now.
  • Quick-Shifter
  • Other side parts front engine of aluminum (similar 1100s).
  • Softer overall drawing.

The character of the Scrambler remains, but in sum, almost everything is new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts