Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of trial and error I figured I always get quick answers here. I just had rear wheel off to fix a flat but when i road bike after reassembly, I had no rear brake. Everything looks correct? what did I miss or neglect to do?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Instead of trial and error I figured I always get quick answers here. I just had rear wheel off to fix a flat but when i road bike after reassembly, I had no rear brake. Everything looks correct? what did I miss or neglect to do?
There's not much you can do wrong just by fitting a wheel unless you touched the hose fitting and introduced air into the line. If you had the pads out of the caliper as some do (don't take this the wrong way) but are the pads back in the correct way round ? ie. friction material to the disc.

PS. Rode

·
Registered
51 Posts
More information please. Are you getting a firm brake pedal? Generally, the brake caliper pistons recede slightly to allow the disc back in between the pads upon reassembly. You may have to pump the brakes a few times to move the pistons back into contact with the pads. If you didn't open the hydraulic system, air shouldn't have gotten in. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It could be a coincidence taking the wheel out? I recently came back from a 3 week trip, jumped on the bike and had no rear brake - well I had to push the pedal a hell of a lot to get any friction. Turned out it just needed a bleed.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Whenever I re-fit a wheel, I try, try to remember to pump the brakes before the bike ever leaves the garage; otherwise I'll have a hair-raising experience at the end of the driveway. I hate it when that happens. Keep us posted Chester.

Sarah

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally had a dry day to pull the bike out of the garage and guess what.....rear brake working fine. Apparently when I rode it after changing the flat I tried the rear brake once and when there was nothing I only used the front. It just need to be pumped a few times and it's good. Or maybe there was a miracle in my garage.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Pads relocating can take a few pumps. Maybe air settled out but unlikely they got air in it. Anyway good result.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I finally had a dry day to pull the bike out of the garage and guess what.....rear brake working fine. Apparently when I rode it after changing the flat I tried the rear brake once and when there was nothing I only used the front. It just need to be pumped a few times and it's good. Or maybe there was a miracle in my garage.
Garage fairies. Love it when they fix stuff for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had this exact same problem on my 2016 icon. I don't know if it is related but it didn't happen till after my rear tire was replaced.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like the brake pads were spread a bit when removing the rear wheel, pushing the brake piston a bit into the caliper. Pump the brake pedal a few times and it should be good imho. Did that work?

(that's wheel change 101)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like the brake pads were spread a bit when removing the rear wheel, pushing the brake piston a bit into the caliper. Pump the brake pedal a few times and it should be good imho. Did that work?

(that's wheel change 101)
Oh lord no, this is the 2nd time it has happened and this time the pedal bottoms out, and no amount of pumping does ANYTHING. I still have fluid, just no back brake. Stuff like this never happened on my SV650

·
Registered
896 Posts
Oh lord no, this is the 2nd time it has happened and this time the pedal bottoms out, and no amount of pumping does ANYTHING. I still have fluid, just no back brake. Stuff like this never happened on my SV650
Same thing happened on the Monster when it was left for awhile. Changing the fluid did not work. The Ducati dealer said something about air locks in the hose and that they needed to be sucked out with a vacuum. Whatever they did it worked.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Use a cheap syringe (you can get the big ones for a couple of bucks at the farm supply store) and a hose to draw fluid thru at the bleeder. Make certain to keep topping up with new fluid keeping plenty in the reservoir. That should take care of any air pockets, if that's the trouble. Worth a try, maybe.

Sarah

1 - 19 of 19 Posts