Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received the appt letter form my consultant, shoulder surgery due in the next 12 weeks, recovery time 6-12 months :cry:. Definitely no riding in that time...
So, I have to lay up the scrambler, storage so to speak and will probably drain the fuel, raise from the floor and stick a battery optimiser on it. Any other bits of knowledge anyone?
I read somewhere that these bikes don't like being left for any length of time and can have starting/running problems afterwards.
My old Blade was a pain in the a**e when left, took hours of fettling to get it to run properly. My Enfield can be left for ages and still starts second kick...

·
Registered
733 Posts
There is other threads on here for Winter and layup storage.

Is it in a garage?

If it was me.... Just clean... fill the tank completely... fresh oil and filter (circulate oil for 10 minutes or so (engine running))... cover the bike in ACF50 (except tyres and brakes) - raise both wheels off the ground... connect a battery tender, throw a dust cover over it and forget it...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is other threads on here for Winter and layup storage.

Is it in a garage?

If it was me.... Just clean... fill the tank completely... fresh oil and filter (circulate oil for 10 minutes or so (engine running))... cover the bike in ACF50 (except tyres and brakes) - raise both wheels off the ground... connect a battery tender, throw a dust cover over it and forget it...
Yes, in a garage. Just had an Oil change but gonna get a few hundred miles on it before the surgery so will do another with filter just before.
You advocate filling with fuel rather than draining, I've always drained but that's probably habit from the Carburettor days...
The AC50 is a good shout though. I've got an Abba superbike stand with front lift so it'll go on that.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Its a steel tank.. steel rusts in the presence of water and air... so a completely full tank can not rust on the inside.. as there is no air..(oxygen)

Not a bad idea to add a fuel preserver... not really sure it does anything... but it wont harm either...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yes, in a garage. Just had an Oil change but gonna get a few hundred miles on it before the surgery so will do another with filter just before.
You advocate filling with fuel rather than draining, I've always drained but that's probably habit from the Carburettor days...
The AC50 is a good shout though. I've got an Abba superbike stand with front lift so it'll go on that.
Drain completely and leave the cap open to breath, Or, fill the tank as Simon says. Either option is good. If you do decide to drain it then run the engine until the engine stops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts